Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

food from cast iron skillet may taste funny

I have one cast iron skillet, and certain foods may taste different compared to the usual Teflon (or whatever newer non-stick) coatings. This is normally detectable on something thin that sticks to the surface. Is this normal with cats iron skillets, or I'm just doing something wrong? I did season it before using.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

It will taste different. Part of the 'charm' of cast iron.

How did you season it?

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to aurgathor

Using cast iron will help suppliment your iron intake, literally. Also, in fact, it is possible to get iron poisoning if you only eat food cooked in cast iron.

Seasoning should be with cooking oil and a very hot oven.

Cast iron WILL change the flavor, and some foods shouldn't be cooked in it, such as tomatoes (the acid in the tomatoes reacts with the iron, so I'm told).
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Midwest

2 edits
reply to aurgathor

It's because your taste buds aren't used to anything that doesn't taste like Teflon.

I bought a set of vintage Austria Email enamel coated cookware from the 70's and got rid of all my non-stick coated pots and pans several months ago. I picked up a set at the local Salvation Army store for about $3 a piece and really like it.

quote:
EPA: Compound in Teflon may cause cancer

The compound is perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA. Trace amounts of it have shown up in blood samples taken from people across the country. When rats and mice were exposed to PFOA in far greater amounts, they developed brain tumors. Now, an EPA advisory panel reports, "PFOA is a likely carcinogen in humans."

Activists have been pushing the EPA to regulate PFOA for years.

"Our concern is that this is a very unique chemical," says Richard Wiles with the Environmental Working Group. "It lasts, literally, for eternity, and now it has been determined to be a likely human carcinogen. That ranks it up there with DDT, PCBs and dioxin as a very serious hazard. It needs to be banned."

Teflon, and the products that contain PFOA, are everywhere — from pots and pans, to Gore-Tex jackets, carpet coatings, computer chips, engine fuel lines and even pizza boxes.

Teflon’s manufacturer, DuPont, says it doesn't know why PFOA is turning up in human blood samples nationwide. It says there is no PFOA left in Teflon-coated pans during cooking because the PFOA is destroyed during the manufacturing process. And DuPont says its tests indicate that PFOA is not a threat.

»www.nbcnews.com/id/8408729/ns/nb···-cancer/

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

I had a chili taste in a dutch oven - made too much over the years.
Put the dutch oven in the regular oven when I autocleaned the regular oven, reseasoned the dutch oven and used it again.

Now I have a Le Creuset which has an enamel inside. Works pretty good.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to aurgathor

How was it seasoned?

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to aurgathor

I seasoned it with lard (bacon juice) at 375 degrees for an hour.

I'm fairly certain that I don't need extra iron -- as a matter of fact, if I take multivitamin, it's an iron free variety.

Teflon can release harmful chemicals when overheated. but I'm not cooking anything even remotely close to that temperature.

I just found this: »sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/···st-iron/ and looks to me I need to redo the seasoning -- but I have a feeling I'll soon have a free cast iron skillet.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2

Yes, clean it very, very well with soap and water and re-season it. Vegetable shortening works excellent.

Edit - Just read that article. Never thought of using Flaxseed oil, sounds like it might work well.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

I seasoned it with lard (bacon juice) at 375 degrees for an hour.

I'm fairly certain that I don't need extra iron -- as a matter of fact, if I take multivitamin, it's an iron free variety.

Teflon can release harmful chemicals when overheated. but I'm not cooking anything even remotely close to that temperature.

I just found this: »sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/···st-iron/ and looks to me I need to redo the seasoning -- but I have a feeling I'll soon have a free cast iron skillet.

You seasoned it wrong and almost everybody seasons it wrong. Follow those exact directions in Sheryls blog you linked and it be be amazing. I just re seasoned a pan 4 days ago using that exact technique and the results are outstanding. I own many cast iron pans and use this method. Make sure to use flax seed oil or it wont work correctly.
--
Professional student pilot!

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by Bruschi:

Follow those exact directions in Sheryls blog you linked and it be be amazing.

We've done this to all of our cast iron pans and it makes an incredible surface.
--
Why are they called "progressives" when their policies are from 1917?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

1 recommendation

reply to aurgathor

I just cook fried chicken (among other things) in mine once a week.

The other thing that I use in it is a 1" paint scraper to get the crap off the bottom when I'm done cooking. Just use it with a light touch and the bottom will be totally smooth. Rinse out with hot water, wipe dry, done.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to Trihexagonal

Click for full size
said by Trihexagonal:

It's because your taste buds aren't used to anything that doesn't taste like Teflon.

Original black Cast iron for the win.
My cast iron is so slick not even burn on cheese will stick.

said by aurgathor:

I have one cast iron skillet, and certain foods may taste different compared to the usual Teflon (or whatever newer non-stick) coatings. This is normally detectable on something thin that sticks to the surface. Is this normal with cats iron skillets, or I'm just doing something wrong? I did season it before using.

As you can see the one on the left is correctly seasoned center item is starting to get it (rescued it), right is unseasoned bare metal.

chazmo

join:2013-03-02
Lawrenceburg, TN
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

some foods shouldn't be cooked in it, such as tomatoes (the acid in the tomatoes reacts with the iron, so I'm told).

Some of the best fried green tomatoes ive eaten came from cast iron skillet. try it if you like them, you may never use a regular pan again. 2cents

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp

You can cook tomatoes in cast iron...you just need to wait until it the seasoning is complete, and clean it as soon as you are done cooking them.

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to Anonymous_

To get the rust off try a cutting a potato in half and using kosher salt or rock salt, as an abrasive, work in circles and when done wash throughly to remove all traces of the salt and reseason with bacon fat.

intok

reply to aurgathor

Is the pan seasoned well? Have you let grease go bad in it? Was this a used pan with some unknown funk on it?

intok

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Using cast iron will help suppliment your iron intake, literally. Also, in fact, it is possible to get iron poisoning if you only eat food cooked in cast iron.

Seasoning should be with cooking oil and a very hot oven.

Cast iron WILL change the flavor, and some foods shouldn't be cooked in it, such as tomatoes (the acid in the tomatoes reacts with the iron, so I'm told).

I've always seasoned with bacon fat or in the case of a dutch oven used it to deep fry some neutral foods like doughnuts or funnel cakes or fries a few times before using it for anything else like fish or chicken.

As John said, if the pan has a good season on it you can cook things like tomatoes, beans or soups in them, but not before the season is really good else you'll remove the season completely and start rusting which is not good food.

Cast iron stainless steel and copper for everything but eggs, teflon is actually great for eggs.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Anonymous_

I have the same pan as the one on the left albeit a bit cleaner

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to aurgathor

I want to get some of those new ceramic non stick pans.

Yeah guys, right, with enough seasoning, sure, tomatoes are ok, but they can eat away at that seasoning...

intok

said by signmeuptoo:

I want to get some of those new ceramic non stick pans.

Yeah guys, right, with enough seasoning, sure, tomatoes are ok, but they can eat away at that seasoning...

Which you rebuild by cooking any food that contains oil or fat. Which is just about everything that you aren't boiling. So yeah, saute up some veggies in butter/oil/bacon fat/lard whatever you like and you are rebuilding the season every time you do.

Ceramic? That as seen on TV orgreenic crap? As everything seen on TV, it won't work as advertised.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Roommates cast iron pans would lose the rust resistance and it was difficult to get it back.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Trihexagonal

said by Trihexagonal:

quote:
EPA: Compound in Teflon may cause cancer

The compound is perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA. Trace amounts of it have shown up in blood samples taken from people across the country. When rats and mice were exposed to PFOA in far greater amounts, they developed brain tumors. Now, an EPA advisory panel reports, "PFOA is a likely carcinogen in humans."

»www.nbcnews.com/id/8408729/ns/nb···-cancer/

The American Cancer Society disagrees with the 2005 article.

»www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercaus···id--pfoa

Do they cause cancer?

Teflon itself is not suspected to cause cancer. PFOA may be more of a health concern because it can stay in the environment and in the human body for long periods of time. It seems to be present at very low levels in just about everyone's blood. It's not clear how people are exposed to it, although it has been detected at low levels in some foods and drinking water systems and in household dust.

The possible effects of PFOA on cancer risk in humans are not completely understood. Studies in lab rodents have found exposure to PFOA increases the risk of certain tumors of the liver, testicles, mammary glands, and pancreas in these animals. But the results of these studies have not provided sufficient evidence for causing cancer in animals. So far, there is very little data about its ability to cause cancer in people.

--
Another 4 years of Hope and Change.
The rich will still get richer and the poor get an Obamaphone and Food Stamps. lol

intok

reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Roommates cast iron pans would lose the rust resistance and it was difficult to get it back.

how did they use the pans? You aren't supposed to wash them like other pans, you should never try to soak them, if you have something that is burnt on that isn't really badly burnt on deglaze the pan by cooking up some onions, I do this every time I make sweet breakfast sausages like the incredibly delicious brown sugar and honey ones from the local butcher shop. I've got a skillet here that hasn't seen the inside of a sink in 3 years, 95%+ of the time you should only have to wipe the pan out.

Note to self theres are very good reasons candy companies use copper...

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

said by intok:

said by signmeuptoo:

how did they use the pans? You aren't supposed to wash them like other pans, you should never try to soak them. . .

I've never had a problem soaking my pans, provided, of course, that it's not more than a few hours. The thing you never, never want to do though is use dish soap. After soaking, if needed, I use a bristle brush and then rinse and wipe with a paper towel.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

said by javaMan:

The thing you never, never want to do though is use dish soap.

I am not sure why people keeps saying this, its one of those wives tales that will never die. 100% false. If the pan or pot is seasoned correctly you certainly can use a mild dish detergent.
--
Professional student pilot!

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

said by Bruschi:

said by javaMan:

The thing you never, never want to do though is use dish soap.

I am not sure why people keeps saying this, its one of those wives tales that will never die. 100% false. If the pan or pot is seasoned correctly you certainly can use a mild dish detergent.

Call it an "old wives tale" if you must (to each his/her own) but that has not been my experience after 50+ years of using them nor my grandmother's for that matter. They do cook much better without using dish soap.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

DaMan666
Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN

sorry. Clean your dishes. (and your wooden spoons) please

intok

said by DaMan666:

sorry. Clean your dishes. (and your wooden spoons) please

No.

DaMan666
Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

Unless you are Mexican, or any other food str8

'dsependent"wash your dishes.Your buds and immune system will thank you
--
Dean: "There's light at the end of the tunnel"
Sam: "It's hell fire dean"

intok

said by DaMan666:

'dsependent"wash your dishes.Your buds and immune system will thank you

Nah, taken care of properly there is no risk. Your immune system has to be challenged if you want to make it stronger and thus not be sick all the time. People that coat their house in lysol every day are constantly sick since they never get dirty.

said by DaMan666:

Unless you are Mexican, or any other food str8

And what are you trying to imply with this?