signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to intok

Re: food from cast iron skillet may taste funny

Roommates cast iron pans would lose the rust resistance and it was difficult to get it back.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Trihexagonal
said by Trihexagonal:

quote:
EPA: Compound in Teflon may cause cancer

The compound is perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA. Trace amounts of it have shown up in blood samples taken from people across the country. When rats and mice were exposed to PFOA in far greater amounts, they developed brain tumors. Now, an EPA advisory panel reports, "PFOA is a likely carcinogen in humans."

»www.nbcnews.com/id/8408729/ns/nb···-cancer/

The American Cancer Society disagrees with the 2005 article.

»www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercaus···id--pfoa

Do they cause cancer?

Teflon itself is not suspected to cause cancer. PFOA may be more of a health concern because it can stay in the environment and in the human body for long periods of time. It seems to be present at very low levels in just about everyone's blood. It's not clear how people are exposed to it, although it has been detected at low levels in some foods and drinking water systems and in household dust.

The possible effects of PFOA on cancer risk in humans are not completely understood. Studies in lab rodents have found exposure to PFOA increases the risk of certain tumors of the liver, testicles, mammary glands, and pancreas in these animals. But the results of these studies have not provided sufficient evidence for causing cancer in animals. So far, there is very little data about its ability to cause cancer in people.

--
Another 4 years of Hope and Change.
The rich will still get richer and the poor get an Obamaphone and Food Stamps. lol

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

Roommates cast iron pans would lose the rust resistance and it was difficult to get it back.

how did they use the pans? You aren't supposed to wash them like other pans, you should never try to soak them, if you have something that is burnt on that isn't really badly burnt on deglaze the pan by cooking up some onions, I do this every time I make sweet breakfast sausages like the incredibly delicious brown sugar and honey ones from the local butcher shop. I've got a skillet here that hasn't seen the inside of a sink in 3 years, 95%+ of the time you should only have to wipe the pan out.

Note to self theres are very good reasons candy companies use copper...

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA
said by intok:

said by signmeuptoo:

how did they use the pans? You aren't supposed to wash them like other pans, you should never try to soak them. . .

I've never had a problem soaking my pans, provided, of course, that it's not more than a few hours. The thing you never, never want to do though is use dish soap. After soaking, if needed, I use a bristle brush and then rinse and wipe with a paper towel.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
said by javaMan:

The thing you never, never want to do though is use dish soap.

I am not sure why people keeps saying this, its one of those wives tales that will never die. 100% false. If the pan or pot is seasoned correctly you certainly can use a mild dish detergent.
--
Professional student pilot!

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA
said by Bruschi:

said by javaMan:

I am not sure why people keeps saying this, its one of those wives tales that will never die. 100% false. If the pan or pot is seasoned correctly you certainly can use a mild dish detergent.

Call it an "old wives tale" if you must (to each his/her own) but that has not been my experience after 50+ years of using them nor my grandmother's for that matter. They do cook much better without using dish soap.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

DaMan666
Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Minneapolis, MN
sorry. Clean your dishes. (and your wooden spoons) please

intok

said by DaMan666:

sorry. Clean your dishes. (and your wooden spoons) please

No.

DaMan666
Premium
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit
Unless you are Mexican, or any other food str8

'dsependent"wash your dishes.Your buds and immune system will thank you
--
Dean: "There's light at the end of the tunnel"
Sam: "It's hell fire dean"

intok

said by DaMan666:

'dsependent"wash your dishes.Your buds and immune system will thank you

Nah, taken care of properly there is no risk. Your immune system has to be challenged if you want to make it stronger and thus not be sick all the time. People that coat their house in lysol every day are constantly sick since they never get dirty.

said by DaMan666:

Unless you are Mexican, or any other food str8

And what are you trying to imply with this?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

said by javaMan:

I only have one small cast iron skillet (all other cookware is Revereware copper bottom now around 50 years old with some 75 years or more old as it was my mother's only cookware also). I've had the cast iron skillet for probably 40-50 years and I don't recall ever seasoning it. It has a wooden handle so it can't go in the oven anyway. I wash it regularly by hand with the same dish soap I use for all my dishes.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

intok

You only have to season it if it's new, rusted or you do something to ruin the existing season. The longer you use it the better it gets. If your pan has a 40+ year old season built up then you have a great pan.

I didn't inherit any good cookware but I am a pretty good cook, so I'm building my own set of individual pieces I like.

I did my cast iron grill grates in a camp fire. Got em hot and soaked em in a mix of bacon fat and peanut oil. It was 102f outside, the AC could barely keep up and I wasn't about to use the oven to do it. Yeah, most of the things I do shouldn't be done by most people, I do them because I never get hurt or destroy things unless that was the original end goal.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to aurgathor
Click for full size
This is my cast iron pan...about 10 years old. Took advantage of a nice sunny day to get a good shot...

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA
said by John Galt:

This is my cast iron pan...about 10 years old. Took advantage of a nice sunny day to get a good shot...

Very nice. Mine isn't quite that nice but it's not as old either. It's aging quite well though.
--

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

1 recommendation

It's the paint scraper that made the bottom like that...

I use a teaspoon around the curved edge at the bottom.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA
I've been considering a griddle for awhile. Much easier for pancakes and grilled sandwiches and the like.

DaMan666
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
reply to intok
I agree with your first comment, and I just mean culinary flavors on the second. If you cook mex one day, hungarian the next, I dont see how you can season anything
--
Dean: "There's light at the end of the tunnel"
Sam: "It's hell fire dean"

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt
Looks Good!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to aurgathor
Ugh I have a family member that uses a brillo pad on a cast iron skillet.. so I was making some shrimp and garlic in it the other day and I got around the sides and you could taste what seemed to be the off-taste..

How can I stop this habit of this going on? Her thing is I don't care :-/

intok

Hit her with the pan, then take a sand blaster to the pan to clean the contamination from the surface and start over on seasoning.

Mr Neutron
Ceaseless, Tasteless, and Gormless
Premium
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME
said by intok:

Hit her with the pan, then take a sand blaster to the pan to clean the contamination from the surface and start over on seasoning.

Alternately, you can apply the sand blaster directly to the family member and clean the "contamination" that way.

All kidding aside, I wish I knew what to tell you on that one (short of changing the locks whilst they are out of the house, of course).
--
Male Announcer: "The red zone has always been for loading and unloading. There's never stopping in a white zone."

Female Announcer: "Don't tell me which zone is for stopping and which zone is for loading!"

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to aurgathor
yeah or sometimes the pan sits in the sink overnight with water in it :-/