Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

3 edits
reply to CHRoNiCWiLL

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

Meanwhile...

I finally have a DCM476 of my own to play with, and I've been playing.
(well, I had a DCM475 of my own way way back, but it sold quickly)

Turns out it is possible to upgrade the DCM476 with just a TTL serial cable and a TFTP server. The method is similar to the DCM425 method.. Apply a short to pin 2 of the SPI flash at exactly the right moment and you get an open console.

(edit to add some instruction)
Serial console settings
Baud: 115200
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1
Parity: none
Flow control: Xon/Xoff

The moment for the short
First power up with the serial console connected. After about 3 seconds of being powered on, the console should display a bunch of information in plain text. Get used to how long it takes from applying power to seeing the output. Then apply power again, but this time apply a short between ground and pin 2 of the SPI flash (on the 476, or pin 8 on the 475) just at the moment that the information would be displayed.

If you see the normal output, you were either way too early, or too late.

If you see the Broadcom wavy logo, but the output is stuck, you've done it very slightly too early.

If the output is much longer, and results in a prompt that you can type instructions at, you are in.

Command to flash

cd d
dload -i2 192.168.100.10 02.50.bin

(or, you know, 02.16.bin if it is a 475)

A thing of beauty :D

I don't mind making up detailed instructions if the demand is there, but for now just pm me if you'd like to give it a try.

And, I'm almost certain that this will work just as well on a DCM475, but we won't know until somebody tries.

more edits:
So I just did the upgrade on a DCM475 using the short method, and it works just as well. Of course the DCM475 has a 16 pin SPI flash, so you have to apply the short to pin 8 instead of pin 2 on the 8 pin SPI flash. Everything else is exactly the same.

--
electronicsguru.ca

dannyphones

join:2013-04-14
Toronto, ON
Hey Teddy Boom,
Where abouts downtown do you live?

How easy is this new method?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by dannyphones:

Hey Teddy Boom,
Where abouts downtown do you live?

How easy is this new method?

I'm at Bathurst and College.

How easy...
Hard for me to judge. I have to perform a similar procedure to this on every DCM425 I sell, so I've become very practised. On the 425s, a couple of people who do this kind of thing have given up trying and get me to do it for them when they need it. At the same time, a lurker here at dslreports managed to do a DCM425 pretty easily--"it took me about 20 tries" he said, which isn't bad for a first timer.

In fact, he did it without the serial console cable even.. For the DCM475/6 A method that doesn't require serial console may be feasible, but will require more development.

If you have a TFTP server set up, and if you have a TTL to RS232 serial cable, we should talk.
(in fact, I'll stick the last couple of details in the post above, and then all you'd need is a copy of the firmware)
--
electronicsguru.ca

Imaria

join:2013-03-24
Mississauga, ON
What's the best way to get in contact with you to get a DCM475's firmware upgraded? I think I sent an email via your website, but I believe utoronto's aggressive mail filters ate it.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
said by Imaria:

What's the best way to get in contact with you to get a DCM475's firmware upgraded? I think I sent an email via your website, but I believe utoronto's aggressive mail filters ate it.

Hi Imaria, I sent you a pm a little while ago. Thanks!
--
electronicsguru.ca

manitsshrimp

join:2013-06-18
Ajax, ON
Teddy Boom,

I sent a PM for Modem fw update request. Would be glad if you could help.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Teddy Boom