spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cverity

@verizon.net

I have Fios Internet. Is POTS supposed to work for 911?

I have Fios Internet - No Fios Phone, TV, or POTS service.

Is my POTS line still supposed to produce a dial tone so I can make 911 calls?

I normally use Vonage for my phone service, so I haven't tried hooking up a phone to my copper lines in years. But I tried the test port on my copper lines (as well as the test port on my Fios NID) and I don't get a dial tone on either. I realize I'm not paying Verizon for any phone service, but I thought it would still work for 911?

Thanks.

Acc708

join:2008-06-28
You are thinking of cell phones. You do not receive anything if you do not pay for it with fios.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to cverity
No it will not. YOu are not a Verizon phone customer, So you do not get service.

cverity

@verizon.net
reply to Acc708
Ok, thanks for the reply.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Im fairly certain that it would be cheaper to get unlimited calling with FiOS than paying Vonage.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to PoloDude
I have not been a phone customer for 10 years or more. I still have a dial tone. Depends on what state you are in. Of course he has fiber and they probably hard cut it anyway.
»news.consumerreports.org/electro···nes.html

ITALIAN926

?

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Im fairly certain that it would be cheaper to get unlimited calling with FiOS than paying Vonage.

Yes Vonage is very expensive. I tried them and then went to VOIPo which cost less than half as much as Vonage with the same quality. But I dropped that when I went back to a landline with FiOS, I went from a triple play to a quadruple play. And my monthly price went down, plus I got a $300 gift card. FiOS essentially paid me to go back to a landline. Which was fine with me since my monthly charges for a landline, TV, INternet and cellphone went down.

theproftw

join:2011-07-22
Totally, I think it is better to have a landline, as you get phone even when lights are out, of course fios only gets like 8 hours, but smartphones these days get even less than that.

I think Vonage is only worth it when you use the international calling plans.

Acc708

join:2008-06-28
reply to rody_44
You only have a dial tone because someone didn't do their job and type the service out or they didn't remove the connection when someone else started using the pair you are on.

cverity

@verizon.net
reply to theproftw
Cool, thanks for the all the replies. I have watched my Vonage bill grow over the years, and I think you might be right that I should drop it and add Verizon's phone service to Fios.

batsona
Maryland

join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD
There are some more 'basic' Vonage plans that might not be advertized (or advertized in small print) -- I'm on a 300min plan that costs all of $15 a month...

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Acc708
said by Acc708:

You only have a dial tone because someone didn't do their job and type the service out or they didn't remove the connection when someone else started using the pair you are on.

Here in New York there has been as policy of "Left-in-Dial-Tone" when copper lines are disconnected. All calls, except to the business office and emergency are blocked.

ITALIAN926

Not true to generalize for all of NY like that. In the areas Im familiar with, these types of left in dialtones havnt existed for a decade. Now, this is what is provided when a bill is past due.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA
reply to cverity
Back in the 1980's, we worked on a system that let users self provision. The CO would leave the Dial Tone on in a provision only mode. When a connection was made, a Service Center would be contacted to set up the service. It worked very well. The initial rollout was NJ. No idea how far it went.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to lijacobs
Must be very regional. When I dropped Verizon POTS all three lines went silent the same day... They still have voltage on them - I guess to keep them dry - but no soft start dialtone whatsoever...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to batsona
said by batsona:

There are some more 'basic' Vonage plans that might not be advertized (or advertized in small print) -- I'm on a 300min plan that costs all of $15 a month...

Yes, every plan Vonage had(even unadvertised) was still more expensive than other VOIP options I had. Which was why I dropped them at the time