spc
Search similar:

uniqs
oneworld255
join:2005-04-30
Pikesville, MD

oneworld255

Surround Sound Test on Netflix

I just got a new receiver and I want to test the surround sound functions. Can anybody give me the names of some movies currently available on Netflix that have good surround sound?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Google found this old list: »www.playstationlifestyle ··· ie-list/

But basically, when browsing movies in Netflix, they list if the title is in HD and has 5.1 audio.
darcilicious

darcilicious to oneworld255

Premium Member

to oneworld255
Better list/link: »movies.netflix.com/WiHD
oneworld255
Pikesville, MD

oneworld255

I know that Netflix will list if a title has 5.1 audio but I also know that some movies make better use of surround sound than others. I was hoping that someone could let me know if there are any movies that make particularly good use of surround sound.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech to oneworld255

Premium Member

to oneworld255
It really depends on the device you are using to stream netflix to the receiver, or if the receiver is network capable, and capable of doing 5.1, not just Multi-Channel In for Netflix.
oneworld255
Pikesville, MD

oneworld255

I'm currently using a WDTV Play which from my understanding allows surround sound from Netflix.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to oneworld255

MVM

to oneworld255
I don't know if they have it or how good the sound was outside of the theatre, but I remember that the sound in April Fool's Day when they were on the dock was amazing in the theatre, you could hear the water and sounds all around and they were very specific.

Also the scene when they were driving around the diner in Maximum Overdrive had great sound, you could hear them going around the room.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech to oneworld255

Premium Member

to oneworld255
From this, all models support 5.1 »support.netflix.com/en/node/516

Hunger games is now on Netflix, the Expendables is a good one, Transformers Dark side of the moon, Ghost Protocol. There are a lot of HD onDemand movies that are good.

What AV receiver are you using with the WDTV, and what kind of speaker setup?
oneworld255
Pikesville, MD

oneworld255

I'm using a Yamaha YAMAHA RX-V673 on a 5.1 surround setup. I also have a two zone two speakers hooked up in another room.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

You are only going to get Surround Sound on the main zone. The second zone will not work when you listen to something in Dolby 5.1.

If you do not have the manual from Yamaha, you can download it from their site, since most do not come with units anymore, and they are either on a CD, or you have to pull it from online.

Not a bad unit, once you get it set up and tweaked for the room, to get the best sound.

We have a Denon AVR-1612, and using Klipsch RB-81 II's for the Fronts, a RC-42 II for the center, since we do not have much room below the tv on our stand, and a set of RB-41 II's for rear surrounds.

The movies I listed above, all sound good on our system, especially that we have a Sony BDP-S590, which will do 5.1 for Netflix, and the newer formats as of 2012.

The biggest problem that most have come across, is the newer Tru-HD DTS encoding, that on Total Recall 2012, and a couple of other movies, the sound cuts out during playback, because of the new copyright scheme they introduced.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

If you have an iOS device, the THX tune up is useful for testing audio and video on you system.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

said by DKS:

If you have an iOS device, the THX tune up is useful for testing audio and video on you system.

Why do that, when the majority of the new AVRS come with a built in Audyssey type tool. The only thing about the THX tool, is when tweaking the picture, you need the Blue glasses, in order to do it properly, and the person using the tool needs to know what they are doing, or the outcome will be no better than the before.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by old_tech:

said by DKS:

Why do that, when the majority of the new AVRS come with a built in Audyssey type tool. The only thing about the THX tool, is when tweaking the picture, you need the Blue glasses, in order to do it properly, and the person using the tool needs to know what they are doing, or the outcome will be no better than the before.

That hasn't been my experience, and no, no need for blue glasses. Worked fine for me.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to oneworld255

Premium Member

to oneworld255
Depth charge scene in U571, set amp to 0 dB, crank up the sub!

That's my test anyway.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by Michail:

Depth charge scene in U571, set amp to 0 dB, crank up the sub!

That's my test anyway.

This guy speaks the truth! I picked up the blu-ray early in the year last year and Got my AVR last year during the summer.. wow I felt the sound waves on my chest!