uniqs
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to DrStrangLov

Premium Member

to DrStrangLov

Re: Speed Demo (comparing Exede, Gogo, Row 44 and Panasonic's..)

I still wonder how this system will work when flying outside ViaSat-1 coverage and into WB-1 & Anik-F2 coverage. It is supposed to utilize both satellites last I heard. I don't see how it can deliver 12Mbps to each passenger on Anik-F2. Last I heard the satellite could hardly deliver 5Mbps to Exede customers on the ground. I would also think the connections would be a bit unstable while switching from satellite to satellite.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

I still wonder how this system will work when flying outside ViaSat-1 coverage and into WB-1 & Anik-F2 coverage.

Either they reserve a dedicated data rate for those airplanes all the time, or they don't.

If Committed Data Rate is all the time, then no effect perceived when they fly over those beams. But, if CDR is given to them only when they fly over a beam, then when they fly over, users data rate will fall.

Until this system is approved and operational, we won't know where it will be implemented, as in only Exede-12 beams or in both Exede-5/12 beams.

However, they could "share the pain" with all users when they fly over, but that video is suggesting a CDR plan, which would cost more.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

I still wonder how this system will work when flying outside ViaSat-1 coverage and into WB-1 & Anik-F2 coverage.

"Unlike other in-flight Wi-Fi services that rely on ground-based towers or older forms of satellite technology, Exede in the Air taps the power of ViaSat-1 — the world’s most powerful communications satellite. "

»www.exede.com/exede-in-the-air

Now, get this - "Our Network Operations Center (NOC) monitors the Exede satellite network managing service to each aircraft ensuring an exceptional experience for all passengers."

»www.viasat.com/commercia ··· airlines