All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BruceHodson

join:2013-04-14
Garrettsville, OH

[Credit Card Fraud] I May Lose My Job Over This!

I got scammed. Someone used a debit card belonging to my employer (that I was responsible for) to purchase stereo gear in my name. They had it shipped to a local address (the owner of which I know personally), and the local police that "investigated" this says the online retailer shows it as having been ordered by me.

How can I go about getting the retailer to trace the IP address of the orderer? If I can demonstrate that this wasn't me I won't be terminated.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
Sorry to see that you're in this situation.
The only advice I can give is for you to retain a local lawyer with experience in internet/debit card fraud.
A fast Google search produced this link
»www.akroncriminaldefense.com/Cri ··· es.shtml
I have zero knowledge of this firm - I am not endorsing them but just giving you a live example of the direction I believe is in your best interest.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to BruceHodson
can the online retailer not divulge the IP address? Surely they should have this info, and can be turned over to the proper people to prove the IP wasn't yours.
--
| map your city |

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to BruceHodson
here is another question, is it possible that someone was in your home and ordered this stuff while in your home on on of your computers or using your internet connection? It really sounds like whoever did this knows you on a personal level if they were able to ship it to someone else that you know on a personal level. And that is where it may get really difficult for you. It might be time to re-evaluate your friendships.....
--
| map your city |

BruceHodson

Garrettsville, OH
reply to BruceHodson
I contacted one attorney by phone whose only advice was to take a polygraph. Asshatted advice at best.

Coincidentally, the owner of the shipping address is someone that used to work for us.

I have an inquiry on to another attorney, and have asked the online retailer if it were possible to provide the IP address from whence it was ordered (stipulating that I would pursue a court order if needed).

I do not believe anyone in my family would have done this, but there are a couple of former employees that could have. Our wireless signal is encrypted, but how easy are those to unlock?

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to BruceHodson
said by BruceHodson:

I got scammed. Someone used a debit card belonging to my employer (that I was responsible for) to purchase stereo gear in my name. They had it shipped to a local address (the owner of which I know personally), and the local police that "investigated" this says the online retailer shows it as having been ordered by me.

How can I go about getting the retailer to trace the IP address of the orderer? If I can demonstrate that this wasn't me I won't be terminated.

You didn't get scammed (unless there is more to this story you are not letting on), your employer's credit card was fraudulently used. Doesn't matter if you may know the person or address or not who may have done this, or if the card number was stolen online by person(s) unknown - It's still a credit card fraud case between your employer and their bank .. Not you.

Has this been reported to your employers bank as credit card fraud (not "dispute", different animal) yet? If yes, did they have someone sign an affidavit of fraud and what was the final determination of the case after 60 days?

If none of this has been done, why not?

-Jim

BruceHodson

Garrettsville, OH
I do not know if they have filed any such affidavit. I am filing such affidavit today with the PD involved in an effort to clear myself of this.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
reply to BruceHodson
said by BruceHodson:

I do not believe anyone in my family would have done this, but there are a couple of former employees that could have. Our wireless signal is encrypted, but how easy are those to unlock?

I wasn't really thinking family, I was thinking current/former co-workers you may hang out with, or used to. If someone set you up, its going to be harder to prove it wasn't you that did it. I hope you can get that part done in your favor. I've been setup at a job before, and I gave up on the fight, too stressful to go thru.

JA, if he was responsible for the card, then according to his employer, it is on him. (for the love of God, why havent you registered yet?)
--
| map your city |

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to BruceHodson
said by BruceHodson:

I do not know if they have filed any such affidavit. I am filing such affidavit today with the PD involved in an effort to clear myself of this.

I don't understand how you've been implicated at this point, other than you have knowledge of the fraud to your employers credit card and know where this has been shipped to.

Asking again: Did your employer file a credit card fraud report with their bank?

You're missing some logical steps here before anyone starts thinking about implicating anyone and that is what should have been done first and foremost... yes or no?

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

JA, if he was responsible for the card, then according to his employer, it is on him.

Yes, but how just yet? If it has not been reported as fraud yet, and the bank has not done their investigation, how is OP being implicated at this point?

The card belongs to the employer, even though it's in OP's name to authorize charges and making OP responsible for charges, it's still the employers card and bank account. The bank needs to do their full fraud investigation first. If the bank determines it's fraud and then it's not on OP. If the bank determines it was not fraud and claim it's OP who made the charges, then the bank would have prove that.

If none of this has been done, then I don't know how or why OP is being implicated. OP may be jumping the gun just because he knows this was purchased and shipped to a known address in his name (how is another question, I digress)... but if the bank has not even done a fraud investigation yet then there is nothing for OP to be fighting against at this point.

See where I going with this yet, Debb?
said by pcdebb:

(for the love of God, why havent you registered yet?)

Am - It's a technical issue with my remote to work combined with my software for the visually impaired that makes it a huge pain to login - when I can get it work. That's the short of it. It's this or I'd never post.

BruceHodson

Garrettsville, OH

1 recommendation

reply to BruceHodson
Very likely done. Local PD has the IP address and it does not correspond to my own ISP. My employer is satisfied it's not me, and I return to work tomorrow.

Thanks all for your input.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House Net..
said by BruceHodson:

Very likely done. Local PD has the IP address and it does not correspond to my own ISP. My employer is satisfied it's not me, and I return to work tomorrow.

Thanks all for your input.

Very happy to hear Now I hope they find out which one of your friends (or heaven forbid, family) tried to screw you
--
| map your city |