spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CWeinhofer

@bbexcite.jp

Linux Router Distro as OpenVPN Client

Can anyone recommend a good linux distro to function as a home router that also has the ability to be an OpenVPN client? Simpler is better.

Here are the details:

I currently have a router at home running DD-WRT that functions as an OpenVPN server in addition to other things.

I would like to set up an appliance at my workplace to act as a router and OpenVPN client allowing me to connect several computers to my home network virtually. This device will connect to the workplace's normal DSL / router rather then replacing it as there are several other coworkers who still want / need a normal internet connection.

My preference would be to run a second router with DD-WRT / OpenWRT, but I do not have a spare router with enough flash memory to load one of those with the OpenVPN version. What I do have is an old machine (Celeron 1.2 MHz w/ 512 MB RAM) sitting in a closet, so I thought of a linux distro specially created for router functionality.

After looking at some distros on the internet, many look too complicated for my needs (outside of VPN basic router functions are sufficient / preferred) or require more robust hardware then I have (e.g. Untangle).

If anyone has a suggestion for something simple to setup and administrate, it would be appreciated.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

Have you tried over at distro watch?

said by CWeinhofer :

I would like to set up an appliance at my workplace to act as a router and OpenVPN client allowing me to connect several computers to my home network virtually. This device will connect to the workplace's normal DSL / router

REALLY dumb question, but have you talked to anyone at work about this? I don't know how big your company
is, but generally plugging in unauthorized / unapproved gear is a good way to get terminated, up there with
embezzeling company funds, insider trading, and sleeping with the boss' wife.

Even if it's a couple person shop, I'd talk to and get IN WRITING permission to set this up. Technically there's
nothing wrong with setting this up, but it opens things up from a legal and security standpoint, you're going to want
to CYA.

Regards

CWeinhofer

@bbexcite.jp

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check DistroWatch, but their search capability still seemed to throw the net too broadly. I figured a recommendation from someone would be preferable to trying all the various distros listed there.

And your caution is well advised. In my case I know I have the okay of the IT department because I am it. My "workplace" is a small non-profit with two other employees beside me and my wife (thus the need for the VPN client router instead of a simple one-machine connection).

Yesterday, I was able to get the x86 version of OpenWRT loaded and running on the machine. The documentation for doing this was almost non-existent, but I cobbled together some basic steps from various sources and muddled my way through the configuration.

I'll try to post more as I do more setup, but recommendations for other distros would still be appreciated. You never know when you're going to hit a wall with a current setup.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to CWeinhofer

'Firewall' would be the category I'd try under for Distro Watch.

I don't have any suggestions or direct experience with any particular one myself, unfortunately.

Regards