join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

TIVO for FIOS customers

An interesting deal for current FIOS customers who may be interested in TIVO;

»www3.tivo.com/promo/april2013/in···055&tsn=

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

That's not a bad set of deals because they are offering the Lifetime electronic guide for $300. Of course it would work on ANY cable provider not just FIOS:)

real_goose

join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to HenryFarpolo

This appears to be a targeted deal. I am a FiOS subscriber, but neither of my TSNs were accepted (1 Premier, 1 HD).

"This is a deal so good we can only offer it to select Verizon FiOS customers."

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by real_goose:

This appears to be a targeted deal. I am a FiOS subscriber, but neither of my TSNs were accepted (1 Premier, 1 HD).

"This is a deal so good we can only offer it to select Verizon FiOS customers."

You need to call them up and you should be able to get the deal.
Other people have been able to by making a call.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to HenryFarpolo

Not too shabby but it'll take at least 2.5 years to start seeing the savings.
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA

said by Bytezboy:

And after that you will aslo be able to sell the TiVo equipment and get back most of what you put into it. This is what I do when I upgrade to a new model. I sell the old lifetime model which covers most of the cost of a new lifetime model.

I've saved a lot of money this way over the last 5.5+ years on FiOS since I own my equipment. Using the FiOS equipment you always pay a monthly fee and will never own the box.

Everytime a new TiVo model comes out, I sell my current lifetime TiVos and buy new ones. And selling my old lifetime TiVos has typically covered 80% to 100% of the cost of the new model lifetime TiVos I purchase.
So I'm able to use them all that time and when I get a new box I only pay a very small amount of money, if any at all.

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
kudos:2
reply to HenryFarpolo

There have been so many Tivo discount offers in the last month or so.. I smell new hardware around the corner.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA

Possibly in the fall. Six tuner?

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by HenryFarpolo:

Possibly in the fall. Six tuner?

Maybe it doesn't even have "tuners" in it. I think it would depend on the devices' interface to the ONT.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

Since Vz uses QAM to deliver the channels, it has to have tuners.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by kes601:

Since Vz uses QAM to deliver the channels, it has to have tuners.

Yes from the ONT to your set top box, but I don't believe we know how they deliver it over the fiber. The new box wouldn't necessarily have to use QAM from the ONT.

Edit - I'm sorry - got my threads mixed up and saw the 6 tuner comment after reading about the new media hub thread and replied in the context of a new media server and the client boxes.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
reply to HenryFarpolo

I have a Tivo premier and Fios is now available in my neighborhood. Does Fios use cable cards? Can I use my Tivo that I already own if I were to switch to Fios?

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

Yes, you can use a TiVo.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ

said by mack1951:

Yes, you can use a TiVo.

Thank you, my fellow Bayonne brethren!

mack1951
Universal Soldier

join:2000-04-18
Bayonne, NJ

Your most welcome. Glad they finally wired your
end of town.
--
THE ROAD: Romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:9

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

said by Bytezboy:

And after that you will aslo be able to sell the TiVo equipment and get back most of what you put into it. This is what I do when I upgrade to a new model. I sell the old lifetime model which covers most of the cost of a new lifetime model.

I've saved a lot of money this way over the last 5.5+ years on FiOS since I own my equipment. Using the FiOS equipment you always pay a monthly fee and will never own the box.

Everytime a new TiVo model comes out, I sell my current lifetime TiVos and buy new ones. And selling my old lifetime TiVos has typically covered 80% to 100% of the cost of the new model lifetime TiVos I purchase.
So I'm able to use them all that time and when I get a new box I only pay a very small amount of money, if any at all.

How many different models have you bought over 5.5+ years?
--

Bytezboy

New York, NY
reply to HenryFarpolo

I called today to see if I'm eligible for this offer. Apparently, it's only for existing TiVo customers. The rep told me that since their older dvrs do not support mpeg-4, this deal will make the decision easier for them to upgrade to the Premiere dvrs.
--

real_goose

join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·localphone.com
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

You need to call them up and you should be able to get the deal.
Other people have been able to by making a call.

I did call after I realized that my HD would stop working after FiOS switches to MPEG-4. No problem ordering a Premier with lifetime for $250 off. I'll move the HD to OTA only in my man cave.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Bytezboy

said by Bytezboy:

said by aaronwt:

said by Bytezboy:

How many different models have you bought over 5.5+ years?

Since I got FiOS in 2007 I've used three OLED Series 3 TiVos, six TiVoHD Series 3 TiVos, eight(two tuner)TiVo Premieres, two TiVo Premiere Elites, and two TiVo Minis.

Currently I'm using the two Elites, two TiVo Minis, and one two Tuner Premiere(for OTA only). And my GF uses two of my OLED Series 3 TiVos. The rest were sold to pay for the upgrades to newer boxes.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

said by mack1951:

Yes, you can use a TiVo.

Thank you, my fellow Bayonne brethren!

OT, but I just wanted to say hey to residents of my hometown -- three of us in the same thread, who woulda thunk. I used to be jealous of Bayonne because it had OOL when I had nothing but dial-up in northern Virginia. Then We got DSL, then we got faster DSL, then we got FIOS.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Jehu

Yes new hardware coming. However you can probably make money on this because you are getting such a discount on the lifetime service. If you buy a Tivo, get lifetime...It helps on the resale BIG time. As others have mentioned you can resell and upgrade for small coin...

I hear the new equipment is much faster, more tuners, and will be easier to "float" the Tivo mini channels, sort of like HDHR does today. Once you have this monster, the mini becomes REAL important because this is really most need...

I was a Tivo user from the beginning (and replayTV for that matter), but cost wise W7MC was much cheaper when I implemented 2 years ago. I bought used Xbox for $120 and I only have to pay $70 for xbox gold for 4 extenders for the year. I run my W7MC in a VM, so it doesn't take up space/power, but this Tivo.

My concern is the mini pricing, because most of my TVs are only used a few hours per month and dropping $250 isn't appealing because the product is still half-baked. With Tivo is doesn't work until it does, years later....

I'm waiting for Verizon to give me a Roku app, then I will have live TV, plex, netflix, amazon, etc and it is only $99 total. Or I can just add another xbox and get DVR too.

Also it will be interesting to see how VZ prices their new whole home IP solution that we keep hearing about...

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
MA

Hmm.. I have not been paying attention and didn't know about this whole mpeg-4 situation. I've stuck with my Tivo HD instead of the Premiers.

Now I'm wondering If I should take advantage of this discount (probably on an xl4) or wait it out for new hardware.

I don't care about minis or menu/guide slowness (the HD speed never bothered me) so perhaps I should take the deal now...

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA

said by Jehu:

Hmm.. I have not been paying attention and didn't know about this whole mpeg-4 situation. I've stuck with my Tivo HD instead of the Premiers.

Now I'm wondering If I should take advantage of this discount (probably on an xl4) or wait it out for new hardware.

I don't care about minis or menu/guide slowness (the HD speed never bothered me) so perhaps I should take the deal now...

I have a TIVO HD. It is not my only viewing/recording option so the loss of the few channels impacted by this conversion doesn't bother me.

There are rumors of a new TIVO box in the fall, but that is a crap shoot. This isn't a bad deal for those of us with the affected boxes. Like you, I am weighing options, and there are several.

Nels

join:2007-03-13
Arlington, VA

I had actually just decided last week to upgrade from my five year old HD to a new Premiere 4. Then I saw this, called TiVo, and they gave me a price adjustment. So I'm happy and I'm getting a new box delivered today.

Jehu
Hodor
Premium
MA

Yes I think I'm going to go with the Premiere as well. They adjusted your price in line with this deal or differently?

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to elefante72

And where have you heard this from?
Looking forward to finding out about the future of TiVo. Hoping there will still be a 2 tuner model to keep costs down for those who don't need the extra tuners. Hoping MoCA will be implemented with all versions of the Series 5, including the possible two tuner model. I wonder if it'll be MoCA 2.0, but then again since pretty much everything else is MoCA 1.1 at this point it might be underutilized. Then again it might future proof itself for the future since MoCA 2.0 is backwards compatible with MoCA 1.1 and earlier.

Most of all I do hope that it's inter-compatible with Series 4 TiVo's with streaming and transferring.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
Andover, MA

Many of us have a combination of TIVO and Verizon STB's. As elefante says, it will be interesting to see how Verizon prices out their Home Media system.

I like the TIVO MINI, but it has some issues I hope the small form box from Verizon will remedy.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf

Found some interesting things about MoCA 2.0 such as AES encryption and power management. »www.entropic.com/briefs/About-En···-2.0.pdf
»www.entropic.com/solutions/cable···0-en1410

I do have to wonder how these new features will affect 1.0 and 1.1 devices. The claim is backwards compatibility but I think that's only for speeds and just getting the network working. It would be cool if the power management brings new function to 1.1 and 1.0 devices or if they will recognize the AES encryption ( I mean I think it gotta so they'll still work when that encryption is being used, right?). Maybe even a firmware update for interoperability on these devices (like MSO set top boxes and MoCA bridges)

--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

celticpride

@verizon.net

I,ve been tempted to get the deal i currently have 2 tivo premiere xl 2 tuner tivos, but i decided to wait and see what tivo comes out with in the fall.I also want to see what verizons 6 tuner media player will cost me before i make a decision to stay with verizon or switch to directv. For a while i was thinking of going back to directv,but all these new tivo and 6 tuner fios dvrs have me excited to be a customer again!!, plus i have a feeling this mpeg4 transition will allow verizon to add even more HD channels sooner than later!!.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I personally am torn between my excellent Comcast service and wishing my area was available for FiOS which it isn't. Hands down FiOS is the most technologically advanced service provider I've ever seen, and would even consider dropping my speed tier from the 50/11 with Comcast to something lower, just for FiOS. It truly must be something special.