Bob is Bob.

And what a disaster he was.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Well, I disagree on 'disaster'. They shipped Bob, all of us techies had a good laugh and thought it was silly, and Microsoft gave up on the program. One cancelled non-mainstream project doesn't equate to a 'disaster' for a large corporation: I think no customers were lost because of Bob.

Windows 8, on the other hand, has the potential to be an actual 'disaster' if it ends up eroding the customer base. I think the jury's still out on that one, and perhaps 8.1 will recover from the misstep.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

1 edit

javaMan

MVM

said by dave:

. . .

Windows 8, on the other hand, has the potential to be an actual 'disaster' if it ends up eroding the customer base. I think the jury's still out on that one, and perhaps 8.1 will recover from the misstep.

Agreed. I haven't bought 8 and from the feedback so far I probably won't. I just don't see an advantage. On the other hand, if there were enough core improvements, such as the enhanced file management capabilities I've heard about, that might mitigate the nuisances of the new UI. It will be interesting to see how they respond with the next release.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

There are actually a rather nice list of improvements under the hood, but that's much less visible than the UI.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by aurgathor:

There are actually a rather nice list of improvements under the hood, but that's much less visible than the UI.

That's what I've heard, I just can't decide whether they are all really worth the hassle.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

The coupled Win 7 and current hardware is "good enough" for nearly everything. Windows 8 really depends on the new Xbox and Windows Phone/Tablet penetration. If the other areas succeed, having that same GUI on the rarely used dusty box in the corner will also be a success when we look far back on 2012; just like we in 2012 consider Windows 95 to be a success when in fact it was "Microsoft's Disaster" of it's day. It is a huge gamble, though, for Microsoft could wind up not getting foothold in the other spaces while attrition takes out the PC (hasted for some due to Windows 8, hard numbers still unknown).
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

said by Mele20:

What's "Bob"?

Bob is Bob.

Thanks. That sounds awful.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I do have a copy of it somewhere.

Thinking about installing it over Windows 8.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by aurgathor:

I do have a copy of it somewhere.

Thinking about installing it over Windows 8.

LOL
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by dave:

said by Mele20:

What's "Bob"?

Bob is Bob.

Thanks. That sounds awful.

It was. But it got Bill a wife.

win_95
@comcast.net

win_95 to markofmayhem

Anon

to markofmayhem
said by markofmayhem:

just like we in 2012 consider Windows 95 to be a success when in fact it was "Microsoft's Disaster" of it's day.

Not disputing your Win8/Xbox/phone/tablet integration arguments and don't mean to nitpick, but come on now, how was the Windows 95 launch (or the OS itself) a disaster?!

I remember it fairly clear still: it was an insanely huge event and a giant success for Microsoft. There was electricity in the air leading up to the release of Windows 95. At the midnight releases there were people lined up for blocks to buy it. I don't think there's been a Windows version since then which has captured any of that excitement level. I think it was a bigger event than any of the iDevice releases.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by win_95 :

said by markofmayhem:

just like we in 2012 consider Windows 95 to be a success when in fact it was "Microsoft's Disaster" of it's day.

Not disputing your Win8/Xbox/phone/tablet integration arguments and don't mean to nitpick, but come on now, how was the Windows 95 launch (or the OS itself) a disaster?!

I remember it fairly clear still: it was an insanely huge event and a giant success for Microsoft. There was electricity in the air leading up to the release of Windows 95. At the midnight releases there were people lined up for blocks to buy it. I don't think there's been a Windows version since then which has captured any of that excitement level. I think it was a bigger event than any of the iDevice releases.

And the media tore Windows 95 apart up until those events occurred. Every release of Windows, since 95, is going to be "doom to Microsoft". Meh, others say it better than I can:

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· oom.html