spc
uniqs
markdweaver
join:2013-04-15
Newville, PA

markdweaver to xstortionist

to xstortionist

Re: [CenturyTel] CenturyLink Internet Goes Out Every 10-15 Minut

There is most definitely a problem somewhere within the CL network. It's very likely not your phone lines or your gear. Since 3/20/2013 my DSL service has been up and down. I have a DSL connection through a local ISP - Pa.net. I happen to live in CL territory so they own the phone lines. I'm paying for a 5.0Mb down and 768Kb up connection but when it is able to maintain a connection the best I can get is 1.6Mb down while strangely the upstream remains almost normal.

CL has told my ISP that there is a problem somewhere on their end but they're not sure where it is or what it is. Even more puzzling is they're not sure when they'll have it resolved. Being a network/IT consultant myself I find it a little hard to wrap my head around someone not being able to find a problem on their network. Especially with the resources available to CL engineers. Frankly, that smells a little funny. My first reaction is to scream incompetence on CL's part, but somehow I'm finding that just a little too easy. Thinking about how I manage my clients' networks for them and the tools used to perform those tasks I can't imagine CL wouldn't be able to do he same for their network having vastly superior resources available to their staff to find and fix this problem.

If I were into conspiracies considering how CL is gobbling up smaller networks and ISPs I would have to say that they're attempting to squeeze out the little guys. I even tried contacting them myself to see if there was anything they could tell me, but all they would talk to me about was signing up with no guarantee that my service would be better than it is now. Really? I've got a business to run that depends on internet connectivity and CL has no idea whats wrong or where the problem is or when it's going to be fixed.
GetMoney
join:2010-06-11

GetMoney

said by markdweaver:

Really? I've got a business to run that depends on internet connectivity and CL has no idea whats wrong or where the problem is or when it's going to be fixed.

Yes, really. You are not CenturyLink's customer. They have no interest in helping you with an issue you have through another company. The only thing they are interested in is your business. It's not likely that your problem will be resolved any quicker, it's just that at least they can tell you exactly what is going on and what is being done to fix it. That's the price you pay with a DSL reseller.