Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to Gandalf4503

Premium Member

to Gandalf4503

Re: [Anime] Spring 2013: Currently watching

I have gotten to Railgun season 1 episode 21, should be starting Index season 2 soon. I might get this caught up before Railgun season 2 is done.

I have effectively stalled on some of my weekly shows.

Valvrave the Liberator caught me off guard with the reveal in episode 5. I need to just buckle down and power though 6, think it is a bit late to be leading in with what they ended on 5, and I am pouting.

Flowers of Evil, I might just end up dropping this.

The Severing Crime Edge- man, I just dont know what to say.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Thanks to the NHL playoffs, I've gotten waaaay behind on several shows. Since I don't have to worry about more hockey until Sat. I've been given a chance to catch up on some things.

Majestic Prince: WTF happened to this series? Holy slow progression with no direction, Batman! I found myself watching the last episode thinking "Just what is the point of this show again?" I hope it improves, because I do dig the mecha designs here, and it could be sooooo much better with better story.

Valvrave the Liberator: AGAIN! WTF happened to the story? This one started out so strong, but just so completely fell flat with episodes of no Valvrave at all, to mindless children acting like children, yeah, we can run a colony all by ourselves! Sure! No problem...... Just launch the 5 Valvraves already and merge into Voltron. Truly disappointing, because again, the mecha are awesome, and the models coming out for them are equally awesome and are draining my wallet already in anticipation. They will look sweet next to my Gundams.

Attack on Titan: Yeah, I started reading the manga, and so far, the anime has held to that pretty tightly. I'm enjoying it, and where I am in the manga is right where the anime is now. Do I read ahead? Temptation......

Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat: I'm still enjoying this, but the whole wish thing is getting kinda old, and is really sidetracking the story. It's falling apart and ticking me off, because I really DO enjoy this series.

Need to do more catching up........ plus older ones like Hunter X Hunter, Psycho Pass, Robotics;Notes, too many.........
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

Psycho Pass and Robotics;Notes are both great. Definitely watch those before anything else.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369

Premium Member

I'm to lazy to google, does Psycho Pass have a manga it is based on?

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to Gandalf4503

Premium Member

to Gandalf4503
said by Gandalf4503:

Psycho Pass and Robotics;Notes are both great. Definitely watch those before anything else.

I'm around episode 15 of Psycho Pass, have them all downloaded, just haven't caught up. Robotics;Notes I have all downloaded as well, but haven't even started that yet.

I REALLY want a new Steins;Gate series, but I'll have to settle for the movie when it's released to video.

As for manga for Psycho Pass, not that I've SEEN anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

1 recommendation

Gandalf4503 to hitachi369

to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

I'm to lazy to google, does Psycho Pass have a manga it is based on?

No.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps ··· ss#Manga

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by hitachi369:

said by huntermcdole:

no premium crunchyroll.

SDVERJB49PP
ZJCCFDCS998

Here are some trial codes, first come first serve.

YJ6Y69WASFB
GD93CXGB6XR
EQYSFN3FFJJ

/M

Here are 2 new ones, remember there is no limitation on the number of codes a free account can use.

MQ3DTKJHWYQ
5YK7TYK493Y
hitachi369

hitachi369

Premium Member

My updated list in order of my current enjoyment.

Space Brothers
Next up: Episode 62
We are wrapping up 2 arcs, the canscam arch and the younger brother moon arch. I am looking forward to where the story is going, I am hopping we are not getting too close to the manga. I don’t think this series can handle filler.

Attack on Titan
Next up: Episode 11
Well this series is as exciting as ever. The main lead male has learned how to unlock his inner titan and can now transform. I am looking forward to where this goes, I hope they have some awesome reveal. Based on how long the manga is however I don’t know if that is anywhere in the near future. I am thoroughly enjoying this series.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
This series was dragging a bit in the middle but has picked up significantly towards the end. We have just learned that the sea squids are people too. The main lead male is going though some issues with this as he thought he was only killing space and sea squids, not mutant space and sea people. The news appears to be worse however, as one of his comrades found his way over and it appears has started a cult. Things are going to get messy and I like where this is going.

Valvrave the Liberator
Next up: Episode 10
The series for me hit a low point when we decided to water down the mecha force and give nearly everyone a mecha. But they have handled it better than I anticipated. I hope the series is scheduled for at least 24 episodes otherwise we are going to have a crappy ending.

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION
This week we have had another boss fight, this is a fun show but plot wise, is rather formulaic. I am glad it is only slated for 13 eps. I don’t know if it would keep me entertained beyond that.

Majestic Prince
This series suffers from poor direction and poor choreographing and poor writing. But strangely I find the show entertaining.

Flowers of Evil
This series was a real drag, but picked up recently. It for me has come alive as of the last few episodes have unlocked the story. I guess the manga is a lot longer, but I don’t think I could watch any more than the planned 13 episodes of angst.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
This is a fun series, but I don’t really know where it’s going. Maybe I’m just being dense.

Arata the Legend
Next up: Episode 9
This series is falling flat for me, they have just brought over another person from the other world because he has such a deep hatred for the main lead. All because he was better at track then him. 1st world problems for sure. I’ve never wanted to kill someone because they are better than me, but hey, I’m not a Japanese boy.

The Severing Crime Edge
Gah, I really hate this series. The plot is going nowhere fast, and they have really kicked up the sexual innuendos as of late. Lolis, panties, licking, chewing, ohh my. I feel dirty every time I watch this show.
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

I feel pretty much the same as you on these. I'm also watching:

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
This series started out a bit slow, but it's picked up in the last few episodes and has had some of the best action the series has seen yet. The next episode also has a pretty crazy fight between two level 5's with similar powers which I'm looking forward to.

Karneval
Don't ask me why, but I'm still watching this series. I'm more interested in Gareki than anyone else, as he's the only character in the series that I really care about. I kind of want to see what's going to happen with him, as he's just a normal human who's way in over his head on both side of things.

Date A Live
On its surface this is a harem anime with some comedy, but it can also be extremely dark at times. I'm finding this pretty enjoyable, which is very odd as I'm usually not too into harem type anime.

Hataraku Maou-sama!
This has been the stand out series of the season for me and remains top notch. It knows what it is and what it's trying to achieve. Every time I start to get caught up in the humor an event happens that reminds me that Maou really is a dark lord. The expressions and reactions of those from Ente-Isle when these moments occur really add to the intensity. I'll be sad when this one ends.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S: I wanted to let this one get ahead some so I could enjoy a back to back viewing, and I did that this weekend. ARGH! Waiting for #10 sucks. LOL! LOVE this season. This puts this series around episode 10 of Index season 1. Great stuff.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

I just wanted to give a recap on the series that are ending this season that i have finished so far.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
I over all enjoyed this series, it was a nice SciFi, coming of age story. I felt that it dragged a bit in the middle and there was not enough character growth throughout the series. I thought the ending was predictable, but closed the series nicely. I would give it 6.5/10

Valvrave the Liberator
This series was very hit or miss, there were episodes that were a complete bore and others that left me on my edge of my seat. Looking at this SciFi Mecha series as a whole, I like where its going. I wasn't aware going into the last episode of this season was not the end of the series. 15 minutes in I thought it was going to end horribly as they didn't have enough time to wrap everything up. The good news is there is a second season for the Fall of 2013. This will be on my watch list. I would give this series a 7/10

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION
This series started out strong for me, I liked where the story was going, midway though i couldn't say the same. I was confused on what was going on and it seem like they were rushing the story. It ended in a predictable fashion, but was entertaining. I would give this a 5/10

mareastrum
join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO

mareastrum to captokita

to captokita
I really hate to admit that hitachi is right, but yeah. Arata is just not doing it for me. It's a true case of the manga is definitely better than the anime. It's sad but true.

So in that case, I'm going to let it go until one of the anime companies picks it up and see if maybe it gets better the second time around.

For now I'm catching up on some series I've meant to watch - Maoyu and Uraboku.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
This series though not exciting or original it was entertaining. I dont really feel like the characters accomplished anything or grew at the end. The romance promised in the title never matured, at least as far as I saw. It was an entertaining Slice of Life anime, but I wouldn't watch it again or suggest it.

Hataraku Maou-sama!
I really enjoyed this series humor, and even though it kind of died in the middle with a lack direction it picked up again towards the end. I am bummed that it at this time doesn't have a second season, but Blood Lad and Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist seem to be along the same type of genre for the Summer Season.

Still haven't finished yet...
Arata the Legend
Flowers of Evil
The Severing Crime Edge

I have not finished any of the above series. I will get done with them in sooner or later only to say that I finished them and maybe perhaps to write a scathing review on them. Arata and Crime Edge are just bad series, Flowers of Evil is just not my type of series but I would say is a decent series.

Arata doesn't seem to have solid story telling. Transition between plot points is poorly done and is not cohesive. The characters are flat and lack any real drive or motivation for why they are doing what they are doing.
There is a plot point involving Arata and his life in the “real world.” This spans for a total of what seems 5 minutes and its purpose is to give the protagonist and antagonist there paper thin motivation. It is in its self a better story than the whole series. It is like they took a cookie cutter Slice of Life story about 2 boys and their coming of age story and wanted to use that as motivation for a grander story. The problem is, no one sees a petty race, the friendship ruined between 2 boys, as a life or death battle, but this is what it was perverted into.

Crime edge also failed in the story telling but for a different reason. Crime edge seems to get dragged down because it is trying to be too sexualized. It is obvious that each one of the Authors suffers from some sexual depravity that is thinly veiled as there weapon. The series then turns into a monster of the week series and it doesn’t really work for me.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
I just finished the first season of A Certain Magical Index (To Aru Majutsu no Index), and I was looking online and I don't see a second season. Is there a second season out?

Also, what is this series "Railgun" you guys are talking about? Is it a spinoff of Magical Index?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH

1 recommendation

hitachi369

Premium Member

There is a Second season to Index, in every case ive seen its listed as II and not 2. Rail gun is a spin off of Index, it focuses on Mikoto Misaka and not Toma and Index.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Which series would you say is better then, and why?

Is this the name for the Railgun series, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun?
Alpha Phoenix

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix to captokita

Premium Member

to captokita
Just looked up a list of popular anime, and I was this one listed as the #2 most popular, Gintama. Have you guys watched it? What are your thoughts about it?

Anime series that I watch(ed) and love(d) are:

Past anime:
Dragon Ball Z
Bleach (currently still reading the manga though)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Blue Exorcist
Death Note
Wolf's Rain (although I didn't really get the ending, or felt fulfilled by it )
Hunter X Hunter
Samurai Champloo
Rorouni Kenshin

Currently watching:
Naruto
Attack on Titan
A Certain Magical Index
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Just looked up a list of popular anime, and I was this one listed as the #2 most popular, Gintama. Have you guys watched it? What are your thoughts about it?

I've watched about 40 episodes of Gintama. It has a lot of very Japanese oriented humor in it, which can be difficult to "get" if you're not very familiar with the culture. Most of the humor went over my head and I ended up pretty bored by the series since nothing really happens. It's designed to kind of mock similar anime and so serious moments are far and few between. When they do get series, I actually like those parts, but they don't occur often enough for me to stay interested.

Thus, I ultimately ended up dropping it. There's plenty of people that swear by the series, though, and think I'm crazy for not liking it. So, I'd say it's worth giving a try and seeing how you feel after 5 - 10 episodes.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

captokita to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Personally, as much as I love Misaka, I prefer Index as a series. They're both awesome. Railgun season 2 (the current one) actually retells a part of Index (~ep 10) from Misaka's POV, which makes parts make more sense.

Basically, since it's the same thing, you can't go wrong with either, and simply saying "This one is better" doesn't really work. If you enjoy Index, and like Misaka as a character, you're going to love a series devoted to her.
quote:
Yes, and the 2nd season has S at the end of the title.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

If I had to pick between the two, I would say I enjoy Index more. For continuity, it follows Index 1, Railgun 1, Index 2 Railgun 2.

I am a bit disappointed with both of the series as they don't really seem to have a ultimate goal. They have arch's that span more than one episode but beyond that it seems just like an American cartoon where the universe resets after each story. There are some plot points that persist, but it seems nothing ever builds, if that makes sense.
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Yes.
said by Alpha Phoenix:

As for Gintama, I really like the series, it is so heartfelt and I often find myself misty eyed at the end of each arch. But you need to accept what it is primarily and that is a Gag series, and often involving cultural things that you may have no idea of.

Are you looking for new series? long or short ones? Gintama is a beast in the hundreds.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

Gintama was great for me at first, but I lost interest as it went along. When it was cancelled, then brought back, I tried to get back into it, but just couldn't. Like Gandalf said, it's loaded with puns that will go over most American's heads. It's also a series not afraid to make fun of itself, but this results in episodes that literally go nowhere.

Is it worth checking out? Definitely, but I doubt you would be able to easily sit through them all. Crunchyroll has it if you have a sub there. 265 episodes.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369
I'm looking for a series of substance. I really love Naruto, and LOVE Bleach (pissed that they ended the series, but I'm still reading the manga).

Hitman Reborn was very difficult to watch at first since it started off as a gag series, but by episode 20 they turned it more into a battle series and it took a more serious tone, with excellent fights, and a long story arc (similar to the Aizen saga in Bleach), so it really developed. Luck for them, I was about to quit on the series after episode 19, and just so happened to watch ep. 20 before giving up on it, and it was ep. 20 where things changed and intrigued me enough to continue watching. Glad I did. It really developed well.

I'm looking for a series along the caliber of Bleach, and Naruto. Excellent quality story, fantastic fights. Short or longer doesn't really matter, quality and enjoyment does. Since I would say my top animes that I've enjoyed are Dragon Ball Z, Hitman Reborn, Bleach, and Naruto (all of which were long), probably a longer series since character and plot development doesn't have to be so rushed and feel like it wastoo rushed. But then again, I also don't want a series that crawls at a boring pace either.

But shorter series are fine too, so long as they contain good character and plot development, and great fights.
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

said by Alpha Phoenix:

I'm looking for a series of substance. I really love Naruto, and LOVE Bleach (pissed that they ended the series, but I'm still reading the manga).

Hitman Reborn was very difficult to watch at first since it started off as a gag series, but by episode 20 they turned it more into a battle series and it took a more serious tone, with excellent fights, and a long story arc (similar to the Aizen saga in Bleach), so it really developed. Luck for them, I was about to quit on the series after episode 19, and just so happened to watch ep. 20 before giving up on it, and it was ep. 20 where things changed and intrigued me enough to continue watching. Glad I did. It really developed well.

I'm looking for a series along the caliber of Bleach, and Naruto. Excellent quality story, fantastic fights. Short or longer doesn't really matter, quality and enjoyment does. Since I would say my top animes that I've enjoyed are Dragon Ball Z, Hitman Reborn, Bleach, and Naruto (all of which were long), probably a longer series since character and plot development doesn't have to be so rushed and feel like it wastoo rushed. But then again, I also don't want a series that crawls at a boring pace either.

But shorter series are fine too, so long as they contain good character and plot development, and great fights.

Watch the new Hunter x Hunter that's currently airing. Sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. 92 episodes and still going, has plenty of fights, good story, and so on. I don't imagine it'll be ending any time soon either.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

New Hunter X Hunter? O_o What's the series called? What's the difference between that one, and the original one? Is it a continuation of the original series, or a spin off? Or is it a reboot (ie. Full Metal Alchemist, & Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood)?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Lol, yeah, they decided to re-make the '99 series starting in 2011. It's a do-over that continues past where the original run ended (and is currently still going).

Personally I like the original better, though that's probably because I saw it first. The new one cuts out a lot of scenes and just feels like parts are missing to me.

/M
mackey

mackey to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

s-CRY-ed. Definitely s-CRY-ed.

/M
Gandalf4503
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503 to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

New Hunter X Hunter? O_o What's the series called? What's the difference between that one, and the original one? Is it a continuation of the original series, or a spin off? Or is it a reboot (ie. Full Metal Alchemist, & Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood)?

It's just Hunter x Hunter. Look it up on crunchyroll or around the web. Airs weekly. It's like what mackey said. I think the new series is better, tbh, so opinions vary.

Also, Scryed is great too. I get the feeling you're looking for something ongoing and a lot longer which is why I recommend Hunter x Hunter, but you can't go wrong with Scryed if you wanna binge on a weekend or something.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

s-CRY-ed. Definitely s-CRY-ed.

/M

Huh???

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

I was suggesting a series ^_^

It is a short one though at 26 eps.

/M

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Ohhh. Lol. Didn't know that was the name of a series. I'll check it out. Thanks.