how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tom17

join:2008-11-26
Whitby, ON

GAS Vs FTTN

So I have a question, purely from a technical standpoint.

I recently got line stats from TSI and to do so, Bell needed to make some changes on my line. As a result of this, I *thought* that Bell moved me to a FTTN connection. but according to TSI, I am still on legacy GAS.

Looking at my line stats, I thought I had been moved for sure, so I am wondering, how can I tell?

My line stats stated the following:
Before change: G.992.1 Annex A - ADSL fast path
After change: G.992.3 Annex A - ADSL2

Before change: Globespan Rev. 01 0.8
After change: Broadcom Rev.02 161.148

This made me think that I was put on an FTTN 7330. My assumption was that all 7330's are FTTN, is this where my understanding id faltering?

Thanks,

Tom...

nanook
Premium,MVM
join:2007-12-02
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Tom17:

This made me think that I was put on an FTTN 7330. My assumption was that all 7330's are FTTN, is this where my understanding id faltering?

The experts can chime in with the technical details but from my personal experience GAS on a Broadcom and FTTN on a Broadcom are two different services, at least on Bhell's books if not also inside the box.

While I was on 6/0.8 GAS my modem reported, "G.DMT2 Annex A Broadcom"
Now on 15/1 FFTN my modem reports, "G.DMT2+ Annex A Broadcom"

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
reply to Tom17
In addition, as I understand it the line card capabilities may be different. For instance, what happens when they put an adsl2+ line card where there was only adsl capability previously, or does this not makes any sense at all?

lawrenson

join:2012-02-22
reply to Tom17
said by Tom17:

As a result of this, I *thought* that Bell moved me to a FTTN connection. but according to TSI, I am still on legacy GAS.

The confusion here probably comes from Bell using FTTN as a marketing term.

You're on a 7330, which can do both VDSL and ADSL. It's still "fibre to the node" no matter which plan you're on.
Assuming you're on 6/0.8 now, if you were to upgrade to a "FTTN" speed you'd likely be on the same physical equipment as you are now but would just be given a different profile.

There are differences between CO-based 7330s and remote 7330s, but that really just comes down to distance and they're both still capable of serving either ADSL or VDSL.

Tom17

join:2008-11-26
Whitby, ON
I realise that FFTN and Fibe are baaad marketing terms used by Bell.

I assumed that, technically, I am now on FTTN but with a legacy 'non-FFTN' profile, but I was told by TSI that I am not on FTTN and there is "no fiber in your connection".

Maybe I was unclear when I asked in the direct forum

Ultimately, I have been trying to ascertain what my probable future upgrades will allow, by doing some detective research and question asking. As such, I too came to the conclusion that I may (only may) end up staying on this new remote if I switch to VDSL speeds.

The line stats on my new connection are certainly loads better than the old one, so I guess this new remote is much closer than my old legacy connection.

However, even if the line and 7330 remain unchanged in an upgrade, I can only assume the stats would be different due to the port being used for VDSL instead of ADSL. I guess my current stats are meaningless in that regard still.

I just like to try to understand this stuff, thanks for helpin'

Tom...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Tom17
7 megs and up: guaranteed spot on the FTTN infrastructure
6 megs and below: Might get on the FTTN infrastructure if lucky, but could be moved off it at any time.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

iconfat

join:2005-04-06
Toronto

1 edit
said by Guspaz:

7 megs and up: guaranteed spot on the FTTN infrastructure
6 megs and below: Might get on the FTTN infrastructure if lucky, but could be moved off it at any time.

I'm currently on the 15/1 package and connected to an OSLAM 1.5-1.8km away limited to 15M/800kbs. Is this FTTN?

I thought FTTN guaranteed connection to a neighbourhood remote.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Tom17
Yes, that's FTTN. It is likely the closest remote to you if you don't qualify for anything faster.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org