Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

2 edits

Dominokat

Premium Member

Boston Marathon Bombings

Click for full size
2 bombs go off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. There are injuries.

" Two huge explosions rocked the Boston Marathon finish line at Copley Square just before 3 p.m. today, apparently causing numerous casualties.

“I saw two explosions. The first one was beyond the finish line. I heard a loud bang and I saw smoke rising,” said Herald reporter Chris Cassidy, who was running in the marathon.“I kept running and I heard behind me a loud bang. It looked like it was in a trash can or something. That one was in front of Abe and Louie’s. There are people who have been hit with debris, people with bloody foreheads.”

“There are at least a dozen that seem to be injured in some way,” Cassidy said."

»bostonherald.com/news_op ··· ish_line
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Scary I was down the street getting lunch with my wife and daughter when it happened, we ran to the car and got out asap !

messed up stuff.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Live blog here;
»live.boston.com/Event/20 ··· ive_blog

the main boston.com and Bostonglobe.com servers are getting hammered ...

Prayers and best wishes for all.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

CBS News reporting third explosion is heard. Possibly set off by police when they found bomb near bleachers at the Boston Marathon. Still developing. CBS 13 News has a crew on the way there now.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
4:24 pm ET: A Federal law enforcement authority confirms to ABC News this was an intentional bombing, using small portable explosive devices

»abcnews.go.com/blogs/hea ··· plosion/

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Police getting multiple reports of unexploded devices around Boston.

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

Jtmo to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
My daughter was there but was not injured, she and here friend were smart; called me immediately so that I could let family know, then avoided transit and public streets. I taught her well, Mom and I are a mess right now, 2500 miles away.....

3rd Bomb at JFK library in South Boston.

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
"Looking for a man carrying a backpack."

That's some fine police work there Lou.

Sarah

join:2001-01-09
New York, NY

Sarah to Jtmo

to Jtmo
said by Jtmo:

3rd Bomb at JFK library in South Boston.

That was an unrelated fire, according to BPD.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 edits

dave to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
The New York Post reports suspect in custody, but I can't find any credible source confirming that.

Edited

Boston Police Commisioner Ed Davis, on NECN, says reports of suspect are false.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

said by dave:

The New York Post reports suspect in custody, but I can't find any credible source confirming that.

Edited

Boston Police Commisioner Ed Davis, on NECN, says reports of suspect are false.

They are reporting a "person of interest", among those admitted to Brigham & Womens hospital. No further details were given.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

Correct me if I'm wrong; Wasn't the Oklahoma City Murrah building also a Patriot's day bombing? Does this push "Domestic Terror" up the suspicion list.?

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

capecoddah

said by miataman:

Correct me if I'm wrong; Wasn't the Oklahoma City Murrah building also a Patriot's day bombing? Does this push "Domestic Terror" up the suspicion list.?

Wednesday.

The Brooklyn Academy of Music supports Boston.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Bombs were inside backpacks & appear to have been transported to the scene in those backpacks, law enforcement officials say. Bombs likely made from pressure cookers, shrapnel.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
The American Red Cross says it has enough blood right now to help the 130 victims from the Boston Marathon bombing, but asked people to consider donating blood in the coming weeks.

"Thanks to the generosity of volunteer blood donors, there is currently enough blood on the shelves to meet patient needs," the Red Cross said in a statement. "The Red Cross also has the financial resources it needs to support this event right now. We are asking those who want to help to make an appointment to give blood in the coming weeks and months. They can do that by calling 1-800-RED CROSS or visiting redcrossblood.org."

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
From the Cape Cod Times:
Long, frightening day for Cape runners

Friends of the family were near the Finish Line. All are OK.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Unknown to me, was a few Mainers in this race that where injured by this blast.

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
A Chinese student at BU died today. He was taking pictures of aa friend crossing the finish line.

Frostbite
join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

Frostbite to Dominokat

to Dominokat
I had a few requests for check-in from anxious friend and coworkers who know I've worked the Boston Marathon as a radio volunteer in years past. Fortunately, a) I've always worked way out west in such cases and b) I was on my way home through upstate NY after a long weekend vacation. However, due to the pings and tweets, I stopped every hour or so to respond to them so folks would not worry about me.

Somewhere along the ride I remembered I have "I <3 Radio" on my phone, and so I tuned in WBUR for a good two or three hours from Syracuse, NY to Lee, MA. Crazy stuff.

My sister crosses the start line every morning on her way to work from Milford to Framingham, and she said it felt weird doing so this morning.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Its hard to have added deaths. What are we up to now, 4?

There is still 140+ injured with either minor injuries, or amputation. Life's have changed from this bombing. Directly or indirectly.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Now we have ricin detected in an envelope sent to Senator Roger Wicker. Eerie similarity to the anthrax scare post 9/11.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to Dominokat

Mod

to Dominokat
There was also a SF Bay Area boy hurt in the blast. He underwent surgery and they say he's doing okay. His mom was running in the marathon. She is okay.

Jtmo, I'm glad you trained your daughter right and that she was able to get away.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat

Premium Member

There are a lot of "out of state" people injured or effected by this blast.

My heart goes out to each and everyone hurt or effected by this.
Dominokat

Dominokat

Premium Member

»www.bostonglobe.com/2013 ··· ory.html

Image shows suspect carrying, perhaps dropping, black bag

Investigators are ‘very close’ in the investigation, said the official, who declined to be named

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Damn. Boston can't catch a break. Two apparently (at this point) unrelated events: an 11pm fatal shooting of an MIT cop on campus (still at large) and an hour later a car jacking & high speed chase through Watertown with a cop yelling at people to clear due to active shooter + explosives. (really?)

»www.boston.com/metrodesk ··· ory.html

»live.boston.com/Event/MI ··· hootings

Man, if this keeps up I'll be buying massages to calm the nerves of Cambridge friends.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

I was listening to the police scanner for a while after the MIT shooting (because I live walking distance from there and wanted to know what was going on), and then they started talking about the carjacking and chase to Watertown and all that stuff went down. I heard cops shouting that the suspects were throwing some kind of explosives at them and were armed with assault weapons. Saw a picture that looked like something had exploded on the street (although it didn't look big - maybe just some big fireworks? can't tell). Completely fucking insane.

No idea if they are related or not, but the carjacking and subsequent stuff is really strange - did they really have assault rifles and explosives or fireworks? If so, why? I heard something about a convenience store robbery just beforehand, but who the hell would rob a 7-11 with that kind of equipment? It doesn't make much sense. Of course not all of what I heard is necessarily true (it's easy to make mistakes like what kind of gun a suspect has when you're being shot at) but the response out there right now makes it seem like it is, SWAT and bomb trucks and so on...

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Tweeters on the ground in Watertown reporting that one Marathon bomber in custody, the other one still at large (10 mins ago). No idea where they're getting the info from.

I couldn't get scanner feed on web (broadcastify) to work earlier and gave up.

Sarah

New York, NY

Sarah

That info is from an "unnamed official" type source. Taking that with a grain of salt.

jap
Premium Member
038xx

jap

Premium Member

Hrmm.... the Globe is running with it now.

"1 Marathon bombing suspect in custody; search for another suspect still on in Watertown"

Hopefully accurate. Would give people some rest.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
4, 5, 7, & NECN are reporting MIT Cop killed

Marathon suspect in custody