SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[WIN7] Jerky wireless mouse movement

I have an HP Envy desktop that came with windows 8. I removed that disk and installed Win 7. Thing seem to work fine for a couple of months until recently I get jerky mouse movements.

The mouse was a wireless mouse. I went out and bought a MS 3500 wireless mouse and get similar results. The receiver is about 18 in away from the mouse. I've loaded the latest driver from MS.

If I use a corded mouse I don't see the problem.

It looks like this, around the middle you see it stop and they jerk one way or the other depending on the mouse movement.

downloadmouse2.wmv 8322363 bytes

Any hints to this problem. TIA
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"Omne ignotum pro magnifico."

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

Interference. You have to rule out sources of interference, but since we can't see radio waves it could be out of your control. It could be coming from a very local source on your property, your neighbor, or much farther away like truckers might use illegally boosted communications.

If I had my old cordless phone near the computer it would kill the wifi.

I can hear cellphones wireless communications out of cheap computer speakers...
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to SparkChaser

We use msft 4000 wireless mice. Their movement on our screens looks much like yours does. The mouse pointer moves fast, but is not smooth by any means.

Are you moving yours on a surface of varying textures or colors? I've found that makes the mouse response seem more disjointed (or jerky).

Using a solid colored mouse pad helped performance with our wireless mice.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser

Thanks for the comments

Gem, yes I'm using solid colors. Even tried several different ones.

Blitzen - interference has crossed my mind but the Logitec was used on the previous computer. If it's something new it's intermittent. The closest house is about 150' from me.

The other thing is, that it seems to be receiving because if I move the mouse while it's stuck, it eventually will move even though I have stopped.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

I've seen that from as little as having no real los to the receiver, and the signal bouncing in the same room. Lets think about it this way, on a laptop if the usb ports were on the left side, and you're right handed the aluminum case acted like a faraday cage so the signal had to bounce around before it made it to the receiver like short wave has to bounce on the atmosphere. I should have said this before, but even the position of the receiver matters. Then again this might not be your problem at all, but I've seen this with the device a mere 1-2 feet away.

I still would keep other strong transmitters away from the area at least as a test, like your cellphone which increase their signal output if the signal is weak.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to SparkChaser

I had a problem the other day with hinky mouse movements after the latest Firefox update. Do you use Firefox? If so, what are your settings under Tools>Options>Advanced>General tab>Browsing?

Underr browsing I unchecked "Use smooth scrolling" and "Use hardware acceleration when available".

That seemed to fix my issue.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,588 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Gem
Premium
reply to SparkChaser

low battery in the mouse?

Wireless device or old fashioned wireless telephones in the house or a running microwave when the mouse is jerky?

We've had the irratic mouse behavior caused by all the above from time to time.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to SparkChaser

Battery is new and smooth scroll is set.

Trying a third mouse. Pulled it of my laptop.

I ran across this on the logitech site - which sounds interesting

Wireless product not working properly when also using a USB 3.0 device

Why am I experiencing interference with my wireless product?

When using a USB 2.0 2.4GHz wireless peripheral device (such as a mouse, keyboard, or headphones) with a PC that also has a USB 3.0 peripheral device plugged in, you may experience erratic operation caused by interference. This is especially likely to happen when using USB 3.0 remote hard drives or flash drives.

This interference may result in:

Delayed response to mouse or keyboard inputs
Missing keyboard characters or mouse commands
Decreased operating distance between the USB 2.0 wireless device and its receiver

There are some techniques that can help early adopters of USB 3.0 to mitigate potential problems with their existing 2.4GHz wireless devices:

If your PC has multiple USB 2.0 connectors available, separate your USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 receivers by as much distance as possible. For example, if your PC has a choice of USB 2.0 connectors, use the one on the opposite side of the PC from the USB 3.0 connector.
Position your USB 2.0 receiver as close as possible to your wireless peripheral (mouse, keyboard, headphones, etc.).
Use a standard, USB-extender cable to position your USB 2.0 wireless receiver as far away as possible from your USB 3.0 connector.

A USB-extender cable is available for Logitech customers who are experiencing this problem (click here for more information).

NOTE: A USB 3.0 connector sometimes referred to as Super Speed USB or SS, normally has a blue plastic insert in the connector. Unlike a USB 2.0 connector which has 4 pins within the connector, a USB 3.0 connector has 9 pins.
--

Gem
Premium

That's good to know. Thanks for the full post of what to do and why.