spc
uniqs
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit

Re: [OOL] Received monthly price relief for aging Mom. Thanks OO

For people on fixed incomes or the less fortunate there is always OTA.
Whether they have an HDTV or old analog tube most can receive plenty of channels with an antenna and built in tuner or digital converter box.
jcondon
join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

If you live fairly close to the Empire State building sure. North of Westchester County, NY (and parts of Westchester) good luck getting anything worth watching via OTA.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to dm145

to dm145
There's no OTA in Dutchess. Not even a remote chance. THis was one of the areas cable was invented for, before it went commerical for everybody.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

1 recommendation

RemyM

You can get your OTA stations through Aereo.
»aereo.com/zips
And many cable shows are available to purchase online.
root
join:2002-12-11

root to momcat1

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

There's no OTA in Dutchess. Not even a remote chance. THis was one of the areas cable was invented for, before it went commerical for everybody.

So if they have you backed into a corner because you have no other option for service...why exactly would they need to give you an incentive? They are in fact a business that is out to make money after all.
jcondon
join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

As soon as Verizon was available to me I left. Much better service and more channels for a couple of extra bucks.

I know how it is played. They are in business to make as much as they can. Take advantage of those with no real options. I remember that when I have options and will switch back and forth or play one off the other to get the best price. That is how competition works too many places have no real competition.

I could switch back for less (they have been hounding me with the $89.99 Triple play deal with Showtime (I think).

Which is about $10 less then where I started with FIOS with HBO/Showtime and 1 year free DVR. So I could probably save $10 to $15 if I really wanted to. Not worth it to me to save $10/$15 for all I would lose. If money became tighter for me I would switch though.
jcondon

jcondon to RemyM

to RemyM
said by RemyM:

»aereo.com/zips

All well and good for those of us who have the Internet and are tech savy. My MIL sold her computer a year ago and doesn't currently have any Internet or cell phone at all. Should be getting a basic non smart phone soon.

I actually considered the option though for her. Would it be cheaper to have a cable modem only and then do Aereo and Vonage? Maybe but probably not drastically. Do I think she could figure out Roku or Apple TV? Probably not or it would be pain full at least. Her Closed Caption got turned on by her (probably when she was dusting) and I couldn't walk her through how to turn it off. So when I was there Sunday I had to turn it off for her.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

2 edits

StreetSpirit

Premium Member

said by jcondon:

said by RemyM:

»aereo.com/zips

All well and good for those of us who have the Internet and are tech savy. My MIL sold her computer a year ago and doesn't currently have any Internet or cell phone at all. Should be getting a basic non smart phone soon.

I actually considered the option though for her. Would it be cheaper to have a cable modem only and then do Aereo and Vonage? Maybe but probably not drastically. Do I think she could figure out Roku or Apple TV? Probably not or it would be pain full at least. Her Closed Caption got turned on by her (probably when she was dusting) and I couldn't walk her through how to turn it off. So when I was there Sunday I had to turn it off for her.

If she's on a fixed income or receives any type of assistance, she might qualify for the Federal Lifeline program, which includes offers from wireless providers such as Virgin Mobile's Assurance Wireless and many other wireless service providers . I didn't think mom would qualify as she doesn't receive any Federal Assistance, however apparently her yearly income is just within the range needed to qualify.

While this kinda goes against my principles, it gives me a chance to take back some of the money myself and family paid in USF charges from the coffers of the bureaucrats while helping a relative.

Your mother in law might qualify simply on income, as my mom did, or participation in an assistance program. If anything, it's worth looking into. Since she doesn't have a computer, you can simply give her the telephone #: 1-888-321-5880 (Assurance Wireless).

My mom qualified for their 250 free minutes/250 free texts program. She pays an additional $5 a month to bring both up to 500, which are more than enough for her to keep in touch with grand kids, kids & relatives. If she needs more, she just uses her phone to top up her account. While you don't get a nice iOS/Android phone, you do get a functional Kyocera or Motorola low cost set with limited online capabilities.

HTH,