spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NoSuchRealit

@scansafe.net

How to determine who owns the CATV box on utility pole

We've got a utility pole on the corner of our property and there is an old rusty CATV enclosure about 10 ft up. It is now emitting the loud buzzing (transformer hum). It never used to make the noise but now makes a loud buzzing that basically makes our entire front yard unusable.

I've called the electrical company and reported the issue and they've logged a service call and will check it out when they can. (don't know if that means never or not) and don't know if they've just determine it's not electrical and say no problem found since it's not their equipment.

How do I determine who is responsible for the old CATV enclosure on the pole? Is there only one cable provider in the area responsible?

Cubbies

join:2009-12-11

Pics please

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to NoSuchRealit

I would try the local CABLE COMPANY if it is their box! What area is it (zip code)?
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
reply to NoSuchRealit

Contact your town government and find out who has the cable franchise.

egnlsn
Premium
join:2003-09-26
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to NoSuchRealit

The local CATV company owns it. It's a power supply. Call them about it. If you don't see anything done within a week, call them again. If still nothing gets done within another week, call your local franchising authority. It'll be either city or county. The number should be listed on your bill.
--
CIAO!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

You do all raalize Cable and CATV are NOT the same thing.

CATV is a community antennae TV that maybe redistributed (usually limited) cable or just plain OTA via cable.

Unless you are in one of the few places that are served by more than one cable system and not in a HOA likely it belongs to the only cable company.
--

p110011

join:2001-12-29
Oregon City, OR

1 recommendation

CATV did start out as an antenna system, but today CATV IS known as cable tv.

I was an NCTA certified Tech back in the 90s, and the history of CATV was part of the exam.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

CATV is a community antennae TV that maybe redistributed (usually limited) cable or just plain OTA via cable.

If he was asking this question in 1982, your answer would make sense. Today, for all intents and purposes, "CATV" = CAble TeleVision.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

said by Hall:

said by Hayward:

If he was asking this question in 1982, your answer would make sense. Today, for all intents and purposes, "CATV" = CAble TeleVision.

However the acronym does mean Community Antennae TV.
And actually when I moved here in the mid 90's my fathers Condo Assoc was just abandoning their OTA only CATAV and going CTV because the County was shutting down the LPTV translatior system... that you really needed a good antennae to pick up well not just rabbit ears in a steel/concrete building.
And I'd bet there are still rural places with such systems, as there is not the population to support the cost of a full cable operation, but the need for a tall high gain antenna to get the available OTA.
--

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

Unless you are in one of the few places that are served by more than one cable system and not in a HOA likely it belongs to the only cable company.

so when cable companies or cities refer to cabe equipment as CATV they are wrong LOL

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

2 edits

said by ajwees41:

so when cable companies or cities refer to cabe equipment as CATV they are wrong LOL

In a technical sense yes, as there is no Antenna anymore....it just a closed network distribution system.

In your view OK the C is cable what does the A stand for?

And try Googling CATV Definition.... all the top ones will say Community Antenna TV... the later ones noting it erroneously attributed to cable TV. One saying it now means Community Access TV which at least fits... but why it never went to just CTV is silly.

They are two distinct things.

--

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

Because CTV is a television network, and the name is probably copyrighted and licened. so CATV makes more sense
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Hayward

said by Hayward:

In a technical sense yes, as there is no Antenna anymore....it just a closed network distribution system.

Depends. Some channels are picked up OTA, some by satellite and some by direct feed.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to egnlsn

"If you don't see anything done within a week, call them again. If still nothing gets done within another week, call your local franchising authority."

If they don't come out in a few weeks just get a chain saw out and cut the pole down. Someone will come along and fix it.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

FreedTech

join:2011-02-24
united state
reply to Hayward

Most cable companies still use OTA signals and almost all use a dish of some kind.

Yes the item in question is a power supply for your local cable company. As they get old they tend to get louder. Keep calling as others have suggested and they should swap it out with a "quieter" one.