uniqs
t3st3r
join:2010-01-26
Toronto, ON

4 edits

4 recommendations

t3st3r

[DSL] Sagemcom F@ST 2864 bridge mode guide

This post is intended as a simple guide to enabling "bridge" mode on your Sagemcom F@ST 2864 modem.

This is a proper bridge mode, rather than simply PPPoE forwarding. You will get the full speed of your connection with this setup. This guide is for VDSL only. Settings for FTTH can be found here: »Re: [DSL] bridge mode on Sagemcom f@st2864.

***VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE***
This process and any changes of your Sagemcom modem settings are absolutely not supported by anyone. Neither Teksavvy or Bell will help you with issues that arise due to changing settings on your modem to an unsupported configuration. If you follow this guide you do so entirely at your own risk.

Before we begin I'd like to thank forum user sibisties for his excellent work on the Sagemcom 2864 stats and unlock tool. Without the unlock tool this process would be a great deal more complicated. And thanks to everyone else on the forums who helped with various firmware files and testing ideas.

As of this posting the tools and settings used are known to work on the following firmware versions:
FAST2864_v6740S
FAST2864_v66396

You can check your modem's firmware version in the About page on the Connection Hub site (e.g. »192.168.2.1/index.cgi?page=about )

Now for the guide:

1) Download sibisties' Line Stats & Telnet Unlock Tool from here: »mega.co.nz/#!ohMxkArD!JK ··· 2qQqm38A
- For more information on the tool and its features see sibisties' thread here: »Line Stats & Telnet Unlock Tool for Sagemcom 2864 (V2.00)

2) Connect your PC directly to the Sagemcom modem and run the unlock tool, select the "Telnet enable" option and enter the requested information.

3) Run telnet.exe or any telnet connection program you have to connect to the modem at 192.168.2.1, log in with user: admin, pass: admin

3.5) Run the following commands at the Homegateway> prompt:
conf set /dev/br0/enslaved/eth2.35/stp 0
conf set /dev/br0/enslaved/eth2.35/def_vlan 1
conf set /dev/br0/enslaved/eth2.35/vid 1
conf set /dev/br0/enslaved/eth2.35/tagged 0
conf del /dev/ppp0
conf del /dev/ppp1
conf del /dev/ppp2
conf set /dev/br0/dhcps/enabled 0
conf set /fastpath/enabled 0
conf set /dev/br1/enabled 0
conf set /fw/enabled 0
conf ram_set /dev/br1/volatile_enabled 0
conf reconf 1
system reboot

You should see Returned 0 after entering each command, this means that the command was accepted without errors.

**If for some reason your modem does not reboot after entering the last line, REBOOT YOUR MODEM**

4) Once the modem is finished rebooting, connect your router's WAN port to any one of the modem's LAN ports. Then configure your router's WAN for PPPoE using your DSL login credentials.

4.5)If you have a router running a WRT or Tomato firmware you can use the following commands (on your router) to allow you to access the modem's config page from behind your router*:
ifconfig `nvram get wan_ifname`:0 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

*Do not use this setting if your internal network uses the 192.168.2.X range.

Otherwise you can connect your PC directly to the Sagemcom modem, assign it a static IP of 192.168.2.2 and access the modem's configuration page at »192.168.2.1. Telnet access will also work.

Other notes:
a) This process is not compatible with IPTV due to the connection requirements of Bell's IPTV service. Do not use this if you have IPTV service as it will disable it.

b) Your modem cannot connect to Bell's ACS management system when in bridge mode. This means that you cannot receive firmware updates or direct support from Bell for connection issues. In order to receive firmware updates you will have to factory reset your router to defaults. It is possible to update the router's firmware through telnet when bridge mode is enabled but that process is not covered by this guide.

c) The settings in the guide are persistent even if your modem is rebooted/loses power. If you need to remove the settings you will need to reset your router to factory defaults. This can be done by holding the reset button (on the bottom of the modem) for ~30 seconds until you see the power light (top LED) go out, then release the reset button. The modem will reboot with all settings at their factory default values (as shipped by Bell).

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC

infamouskid

do we still need to power cycle or hold the reset button at the bottom after using these commands to get full speed?
also is this a permanent thing? or will we have to input these commands after each power cycle?
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k

said by infamouskid:

do we still need to power cycle or hold the reset button at the bottom after using these commands to get full speed?

4) Once the modem is finished rebooting, connect your router's WAN port to any one of the modem's LAN ports. Then configure your router's WAN for PPPoE using your DSL login credentials.
said by infamouskid:

also is this a permanent thing? or will we have to input these commands after each power cycle?

c) The settings in the guide are persistent even if your modem is rebooted/loses power.
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

Thanks urbang.

Folks, this stuff is relatively simple, but it is really important that you read the guide completely before you attempt to make any changes. If you don't, and something doesn't work it's difficult to help you because it's assumed that you've followed the steps properly.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to t3st3r

MVM

to t3st3r
I had to reboot my modem (I unplugged the power and plugged back in) to get full speed by doing this; holding down the reset button long enough would undo all the changes, defeating the purpose.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

great guide, thanks a lot. i think i had missed a few commands originally which likely affected my PPPoE bridge speed to only give me 44-45Mbit/sec.

i reset the modem by holding the reset switch for 30 seconds and simply redid everything here and it's at 50/10 with my dd-wrt router:

t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

Awesome! I'm glad it's working for you now.
pc8888
join:2011-05-31
estonia

pc8888 to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

great guide, thanks a lot. i think i had missed a few commands originally which likely affected my PPPoE bridge speed to only give me 44-45Mbit/sec.

i reset the modem by holding the reset switch for 30 seconds and simply redid everything here and it's at 50/10 with my dd-wrt router:

I assume I can still keep my telnet login if I hold the reset for 30 seconds, correct?
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

said by pc8888:

I assume I can still keep my telnet login if I hold the reset for 30 seconds, correct?

No, you cannot.

Seriously, I can't stress this enough, a factory reset resets the modem to the "factory" default settings. These are the settings that Bell put in the firmware as defaults. Since telnet is blocked by default in the firmware a factory reset will remove access to telnet.

To regain telnet access after a factory reset you have to re-run sibisties' stats and unlock tool with the "enable telnet" option selected.
Airportugal
join:2013-04-16
Kanata, ON

Airportugal

Hey, this guide has helped out a lot but I ran into a few issues. I'm a little new at this as I just learn networking as I go so I hope this makes sense.

I have the Bell Sagemcom f@st 2864 with the v66396 firmware and I want to use it with my Linksys E3200 but let the Linksys do all the routing and the Sagemcom to just be a modem. I had it set up for months before by disabling DHCP and the Wifi on the Sagemcom and then plugging in the Linksys on one of the LAN ports. I'd then enter my Bell PPPoE info into the Linksys in PPPoE mode and it'd work.

Problems arose after my dad accidentally unplugged it one day and now I can't recreate what I had done to make the internet work 100%. On Xbox, cod and Halo show me as either Moderate or Strict NAT randomly so sometimes I can't connect to friends.

I did the usual of forwarding ports to no avail and I read a few people suggesting to put the Sagemcom in DMZ mode but whenever I try entering the Linksys' IP it says "invalid IP" and won't let me save the settings so I can only have DMZ disabled.

In the guide I used PuTTy to telnet into the Sagemcom after using the unlocker tool but the "ram_set" command makes PuTTy close (is that normal?). When I open the telnet session again I type the "conf reconf 1" command and the third time I entered it, it gave "Returned 0". Then I type "system reboot" and it reboots the Sagemcom but when it reboots it just constantly blinks the WAN LED and I don't know the proper steps to go from there.

I tried connecting my Linksys' Internet port (is this also referred to as the WAN port as the guide says to use?) to one of the LAN ports on the Sagemcom and then having the Linksys in PPPoE mode and entering my Bell login as usual but it just constantly tries to connect to no avail. Am I missing something?

My family was getting impatient with me so temporarily I have the Linksys in Bridge mode but sending out it's Wifi signals (2.4 and 5Ghz) while the Sagemcom does the routing as usual but as soon as I'm playing a game while my girlfriend watches Netflix the voices get out of sync. I take it this is because with my current setup the Sagemcom isn't very good at QoS? I desperately want to get my internet sorted by your awesome guide but those few points had me scratching my head and with little time to troubleshoot from my family's important need to get back to Facebooking (lol) it's a very frustrating task.

Sorry if this was long but I figured it's easier to give all the info at once and then get this solved since you all seem to be really good at this!

Thanks in advance.
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

It sounds like you might be better off trying this after hours, just in case it takes a little while.

First, yes the "Internet" port on your Linksys is the same as the WAN port.

Second, the modem can be finicky at times when you're putting in the commands and drop the session on you (this causes PuTTy to close), just reconnect and continue from the last command you entered. If you enter the same command twice it won't break anything and you're better off making sure each one is entered properly.

After the system reboots (after entering the settings) you should see only two lights on the router, the top light for power and the third light down for DSL sync. If the DSL sync light is blinking it means the modem doesn't have a DSL sync yet and you won't be able to connect. Sometimes it may take a few minutes before it syncs properly. Try leaving it for up to five minutes just to be sure, if it still doesn't have sync but then, then there is something else wrong. In that case I can only recommend that you reset the router to defaults and go from there.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Possibly best thing to do as update the OP to add some preparation steps for best results:

1. Do the 30 second reset to factory reset your 2864 first.
2. Once your 2864 is fully reset to default, connect to it as usual and disable:

a) Wifi.
b) UPnP
c) DLNA

3. Then start the steps as above to jailbreak the gateway, enable the bridge mode and fully disable the router, PPP sessions, etc (all handled by the command sequence).

This will probably give the best results for everyone and will result in a pure bridging device that isn't trying to sign in constantly (red blinking @ light).

If you do all of the above you'll reliably get 50/10 to your router in PPPoE.
Airportugal
Kanata, ON

Airportugal to t3st3r

to t3st3r
said by t3st3r:

It sounds like you might be better off trying this after hours, just in case it takes a little while.

First, yes the "Internet" port on your Linksys is the same as the WAN port.

Second, the modem can be finicky at times when you're putting in the commands and drop the session on you (this causes PuTTy to close), just reconnect and continue from the last command you entered. If you enter the same command twice it won't break anything and you're better off making sure each one is entered properly.

After the system reboots (after entering the settings) you should see only two lights on the router, the top light for power and the third light down for DSL sync. If the DSL sync light is blinking it means the modem doesn't have a DSL sync yet and you won't be able to connect. Sometimes it may take a few minutes before it syncs properly. Try leaving it for up to five minutes just to be sure, if it still doesn't have sync but then, then there is something else wrong. In that case I can only recommend that you reset the router to defaults and go from there.

Okay awesome, I'll probably try it tonight then. I wasn't confident on how the DSL sync works though. Would the DSL sync not sync until my Linksys router gets set up properly to finish up the proper connection or will the Sagemcom finish the Sync alone and THEN I connect the Linksys? I hope that makes sense lol..basically does the modem establish the DSL sync or does the router need to be set up first?

Thanks again!
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

said by Airportugal:

Okay awesome, I'll probably try it tonight then. I wasn't confident on how the DSL sync works though. Would the DSL sync not sync until my Linksys router gets set up properly to finish up the proper connection or will the Sagemcom finish the Sync alone and THEN I connect the Linksys? I hope that makes sense lol..basically does the modem establish the DSL sync or does the router need to be set up first?

Thanks again!

The Sagemcom has to sync the DSL signal first. Once the light stops blinking then you can have your router connect the PPPoE session.

It doesn't matter if they're hooked up or if the settings are in place, the modem has to sync before the router will be able to connect to the internet.
Airportugal
Kanata, ON

Airportugal

Sounds good, I'll test everything out tonight and get back here tomorrow. Thanks again eh?
Airportugal

2 edits

Airportugal to t3st3r

to t3st3r
Okay so I've been working on this for awhile now and every time I go to telnet in I get two of the codes typed in before it cuts me out and I have to unplug and plug in the sagemcom again. I'm down to the ram_set command now and I have a chance to just keep using the command history to keep trying it about 8 times and every time no "returned 0" pops up. It just brings me back to the prompt... I guess I'll keep trying to enter it but if the next few don't work I'll continue to the "reconf" command and see how it works. Did others get the "returned 0" to show up?

EDIT: Once I was done all the commands without getting "returned 0" still on the ram command the modem dsl sync blinked for 20 mins so I factory reset and just re did everything. I tried to configure the modem without the telephone cable plugged in this time and in doing so I entered all the commands without any putty crashes or having to restart the modem. Then once all the commands were in and the modem restarted I then plugged in the phone line and bam - within 2 mins the dsl light is not beaming it's beautiful blue and I'm gonna plug in my linksys and hopefully I'll be good to go!! So happy

Edit 2: sorry for the long post but I went to go upstairs to connect the linksys and I come back to the Sagemcoms dsl sync light blinking again...no idea what to do now?
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

I'm not sure what's going on in your case, but you shouldn't have to "unplug and plug in" the modem to continue, if you get disconnected from the telnet session just reconnect. You shouldn't have to restart the modem each time.
Airportugal
Kanata, ON

Airportugal

The second time I re-tried everything with the phone line unplugged it worked fine. Earlier it would just close my session and when I'd go to telnet again it would hang trying to connect and I'd wait 10 mins to no avail so I would restart the modem. I dunno what to do about the dsl sync as it was fine. Does my modem being on a crap Staples power brick affect anything?
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

No, unless you have issues with the power normally it should make no difference.

If DSL doesn't sync when you've put the modem in bridge mode then there is something else going on. None of the commands will prevent your modem from syncing.

If you have to go back to using your router behind the Sagemcom, make sure that you put your router's "internet" or WAN address in the DMZ on the Sagemcom modem.
Airportugal
Kanata, ON

2 edits

Airportugal

As I'm entering the commands the modem resets with the top power green led and bottom most green led lit and then when it starts back up I try to telnet in to continue the commands and it freezes too fast that I can only enter in half a command. I rather not have it back to how it was cause its not the most ideal.

EDIT: I decided to just set it up like before and it's all workin but one the Sagemcom the DMZ setting keeps saying its an invalid IP address..would an ip starting with 174 be the proper Linksys WAN address? It says "Internet Address:" next to that number on the Linksys page..

Turns out in the Sagemcom's setup page it says I have ADSL so maybe that's why the modem's freaking out when I try to put it into bridge mode? My dl speed is 15-16mbps and upload is 0.8-1mbps :/ lol
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

These settings are only for VDSL, odds are they won't work quite right for an ADSL setup as the ADSL configuration may use different device names.

It doesn't matter though, for anything under a 30Mbit connection you can just set up your router to connect with PPPoE. The PPPoE relay on the Sagemcom will be fast enough for your connection.
Airportugal
Kanata, ON

Airportugal

I actually just went out to Canada Computers and bought a $40 D-Link dsl 520b and just set it up for bridging in 5 mins and everything's now up and running with my Linksys E3200 doing all the heavy lifting. Also on speedtest it looks like my speed's a lot more consistent without the Sagemcom in the way. Before the test would always ramp up but now it just immediately hits the roof at almost 16mbps instead of getting to 13 after ~8 secs and then getting to ~15 after about 10 more secs.

Could just be the time of day but I've ran speedtest a lot the last few months and It's never been this smooth!

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

said by Airportugal:

Could just be the time of day but I've ran speedtest a lot the last few months and It's never been this smooth!

Hmmmm. I'd be curious how many others have a similar experience. For myself I've never seen this behavior for download. Upload, yes, and consistently. Are you suggesting an instantaneous response for upload too?
Airportugal
Kanata, ON

Airportugal

Yeah the upload is very fast to go up. My upload is only 1mbps but it used to slowly ramp up to ~.60 then get up to ~.80 a few seconds later and then constantly fluctuate like .80, .84, .81, .85 up and down like that for a few more seconds till the test concludes. Now it just goes up to ~.90-1mbps and then stays there for the whole test.

I'm so impressed with the $40 D-Link modem in bridge mode and feel very stupid for getting my parents to buy that awful Bell Sagemcom router/modem for $130!

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to Airportugal

to Airportugal
The D-Link is one of the better modems out there.
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

1 edit

t3st3r

said by Mike2009:

Yes, for ADSL/ADSL2+. Unfortunately anyone with VDSL service has very limited options right now, which is why this guide is here.

FlibertyGibb
@teksavvy.com

FlibertyGibb

Anon

Modem was provisioned today and the unlock worked.

However the command...

conf ram_set /dev/br1/volatile_enabled 0

Didn't return a 'Returned 0' result at all. Tried it multiple times.

Should I just start the process from scratch?
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

No, I wouldn't worry about it that command isn't retained after the reboot anyway. Just make sure each of the other commands completed successfully and then reboot the modem either using the "system reboot" command or by pulling the power and plugging it back in.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to t3st3r

to t3st3r
said by t3st3r:

said by Mike2009:

Yes, for ADSL/ADSL2+. Unfortunately anyone with VDSL service has very limited options right now, which is why this guide is here.

I'm well aware of that thanks.

FlibertyGibb
@teksavvy.com

FlibertyGibb to t3st3r

Anon

to t3st3r
Thanks t3st3r!

I went ahead with things as they were and it seems to be working really nicely so far.

Thanks to everyone who has worked on this. Its wonderful to have a proper bridged mode!

Am I right in thinking that profile 12a is a stinger?