uniqs
Gorz
join:2008-11-23
Lachine, QC

1 edit

Gorz to t3st3r

to t3st3r

Re: [DSL] Sagemcom F@ST 2864 bridge mode guide

I wonder if anybody could confirm compatibility of these VDSL modem/routers with Bell network.

»www.innoband.com/product ··· 12b1.php
»www.innoband.com/product ··· 00b1.php

more details
»www.coretelecom.net/6012 ··· _-3-.pdf
markuswarren
join:2006-01-28
Asus RT-AC88

markuswarren to t3st3r

to t3st3r
Click for full size
Thanks for the reply
Yes, the router does support static routes (picture attached), but I'm a little unsure as to what exactly I'd need to put into there.

Changing the addressing might be an easier option, I've got DDNS setup, so that'll help on anything that has it's address changed.

Once again, thank you.
markuswarren

markuswarren to t3st3r

to t3st3r
Sorry for another somewhat OT like post.

Would plugging in an ethernet cable from my ASUS router (it's serving as the router and DHCP server - serving out the 192.168.2.X pool) LAN port into one of the LAN ports on the Sagemcom be a bad thing to do?

I've tried it and I can access the internet, and also the Sagemcom on 192.168.2.1, but I'm not sure if this is a really good idea or not, something says "feedback loop" to me, but I don't know why!
thebes
join:2007-06-04
Nepean, ON

thebes to t3st3r

to t3st3r
I managed to apply the bridge mode functionality, but after the second last command it appears the modem rebooted. Is this to be expected? Is it normal to lose webpage and telnet access afterward? I can ping the modem and all the expected ports are open with a port scan but I cant get anywhere. Telnet just results in an empty console.

Bridge is working just fine right now.
markuswarren
Asus RT-AC88

markuswarren

You're talking about the "conf reconf 1" command dropping you out of whatever you were using to telnet in, correct?
I'm not sure if that is normal, but it certainly has done that to me on the couple of occasions I've tried the commands.

Are you sure the modem rebooted? You would see differences in the LED's (cannot recall exact sequence, but I think, top and bottom green LED's come on, then all lights go off, top green LED appears and blinks then goes stable green, then third blue led comes on, flashes until it's got sync and should then stay on) if it has

It sounds as though the modem has not rebooted yet, and I had this the last time I tried bridge mode, so I pulled the power on the modem, waited 10 seconds, plugged it back in and up it came in bridge mode.

Once it's up you should, provided you are directly connected to it, be able to access it on 192.168.2.1 in the same way as before.

One time when I tried bridge mode, I did get into a state where the third led (blue) simply would not stop flashing. I think it was because before running through the steps I did not go into the modem via the web interface and turn off wifi, dnla, and upnp. The next time I tired, once I had turned those off it seemed to work.
thebes
Nepean, ON

thebes

Yes, the conf reconf 1 command and what you described is what happened to me.

I'll give the power cord a yank and see if that helps. It isn't fully accessible so that is why I haven't tried it yet.
markuswarren
Asus RT-AC88

markuswarren

My guess is that once all the commands are entered, but the device is not rebooted, it's in a kind of twilight zone, and so things may or may not work.

See what the reboot does. Worst case, factory reset it and it'll come back in normal mode, so go in, turn off wifi, dlna, upnp and re-run the tool to unlock and add telnet (factory reset removes that) and then run through the commands again.
thebes
Nepean, ON

thebes

I just figured that since it was functioning after a brief period of non function that it was working. I also figured that since the PPPoE from my WRT went through okay that it seemed fine but then I remembered about the PPPoE passthrough. Duh me.
markuswarren
Asus RT-AC88

markuswarren

A couple of ways I've found to tell it's working (hope I'm right on this!) are:
1. You only see two LED's on the Sagemcom, the top LED (green) and the third LED (blue). The third one will flash when it's trying to sync and then go solid when you have a connection. You do NOT see the DSL (@) light come on at all, as your router will be handling PPoE.

2. If you do access the Sagemcom directly, you should see the home page shows there is a WAN connection, but the other two items would be displaying disabled or nor connected.
Looking at the network page, the various fields for the IP addresses will have odd, invalid values in them, eg; blank, blank, 2374, 1513
thebes
Nepean, ON

thebes

Good tips Markus. Thanks.

poona888
join:2002-08-08
Nepean, ON

poona888 to t3st3r

to t3st3r
Click for full size
said by t3st3r:

said by poona888:

Hi,

I finally have time to reset the Sagemcom back to factory default and re-run the bridge mode config and I got the the full upload speed 10MB

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 1784.png

But after a few hours when I re-run the speed test and I only got no more than 4MB upload speed. Do you have any suggestion what was going on why I did not the 10MB upload after a few hours?

Thanks in advance....

I'd recommend that you check your modem's line stats using the line stats tool once the lower speed kicks in, it's possible your modem is re-syncing at a lower speed. Alternately it could be due to something using upload bandwidth on your connection (e.g. dropbox or other file sync/cloud storage software).

Hi,

I am using Huawei HG610 instead of the Bell modem. Still have the same problems. I am only get 3 - 4MB max on the upload. I do not know what was going on. Download is always 25MB. I am also attach the screen capture for the line. Do you have idea what was going on my connection
t3st3r
join:2010-01-26
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

You're probably better off starting a new thread then as this one is specifically about the Sagemcom 2864 bridge mode.

poona888
join:2002-08-08
Nepean, ON

poona888

said by t3st3r:

You're probably better off starting a new thread then as this one is specifically about the Sagemcom 2864 bridge mode.

I think I found the problems. I set Qos on the router and it cost it allocate the bandwidth. After I remove the Qos setting, I am getting 10MB uploads all the times now.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Makes sense as you were syncing at the proper upload sync of 11328.
internalaudi
join:2012-02-29

2 edits

internalaudi to t3st3r

to t3st3r
I am only on Bell's 25/10, so your post piqued my interest.

What would be the optimum configuration if i have the Sagemcom modem and a WRT-310N running Tomato?

Should I have the modem and router at different subnets, i.e. 192.168.2.*** and 192.168.1.***?

How should I set the Bell modem up so that the router does all the heavy lifting?

Currently, the Bell modem has DHCP, UPnP and DLNA on as well as PPPoE credentials. For the router, I have it assigning DHCP as well and acting as the gateway.

Because I'm only on 25/10, I was wondering, if setting my router's WAN address on the Bell modem's DMZ is still recommended?

Because they used to be on the same subnet, 192.168.1.***, was this the reason of occasional dropping of internet connectivity? It was only last night that I stumbled upon another guide that spoke to putting the two devices on separate subnets.

Many thanks in advance.
docbill
join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON

1 edit

docbill to t3st3r

to t3st3r
Since I can no longer get telnet access to work on my modem, I did a much simpler solution which is to run a curl script on my router on wan-up and scheduled frequently that resets my modem password.

e.g. This is the script I used with TomatoUSB:

#!/opt/bin/bash
if [ -f /var/notice/wan ]
then
  proto=$(nvram get wan_proto)
  if [ "x$proto" = "xpppoe" ]
  then
    MODEM_ADDRESS=$(nvram get wan_gateway)
    LOGIN=admin:admin
    USERNAME=dummy
    PASSWORD="*********"
    h=http
    url="$h://$MODEM_ADDRESS/index.cgi"
    strPost="page=settings&action=submit&update=1&username=$USERNAME&password=$PASSWORD&uppassword=0"
    (curl -u "$LOGIN" -d "page=home" "$url"|fgrep -q 'Authentication failed') || curl -u "$LOGIN" -d "$strPost" "$url" > /tmp/disableModem.log
  fi
fi

This seems to work just as well as the true bridge mode, as far as connection speed is concerned. The disadvantage is of course, is you need a device with curl installed capable of running such a script, and you may need to customize the script for your router. In a nut shell, true bridge mode is better, but if you can't get that to work, this may be an acceptable alternative.
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r to internalaudi

to internalaudi
said by internalaudi:

Because they used to be on the same subnet, 192.168.1.***, was this the reason of occasional dropping of internet connectivity? It was only last night that I stumbled upon another guide that spoke to putting the two devices on separate subnets.

The Sagemcom modem uses the 192.168.2.X subnet by default. Having your modem and router use the same subnet can cause routing issues if your are using a double NAT setup (i.e. having the Sagemcom modem forward to your router's WAN IP), this is especially true if your router and modem have the same internal IP (e.g. 192.168.2.1). You may not consistently have problems but any issues you have will be difficult to troubleshoot because you can't be sure which device is receiving packets from your PC, this often manifests as intermittent packet loss. Your best bet is to keep the modem and router on separate address ranges or/and to enable bridge mode on the router.

befuddled
@teksavvy.com

befuddled to t3st3r

Anon

to t3st3r
How are we supposed to run sibisties' telnet unlock tool on a Mac? Use a VM or is there some way to be able to enable telnet and put my modem into bridge mode directly from my mac?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Easy to use telnet from Terminal:

t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r to befuddled

to befuddled
said by befuddled :

How are we supposed to run sibisties' telnet unlock tool on a Mac? Use a VM or is there some way to be able to enable telnet and put my modem into bridge mode directly from my mac?

You'll either have to use a VM/Bootcamp or you can try using the Linux script that docbill came up with, from the system terminal ( »Re: Line Stats & Telnet Unlock Tool for Sagemcom 2864 (V1.01) ). Have a look through the unlock tool thread as there may be a few other options there.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Worked fine on FAST2864_v67428 First time around I also got the freeze after running "conf reconf 1" but it worked the 2nd time around. Gonna have to re run the telnet unlock tool again just so I can pull stats.
Lurc
join:2013-05-01
Burlington, ON

Lurc

said by FiReSTaRT:

Worked fine on FAST2864_v67428 First time around I also got the freeze after running "conf reconf 1" but it worked the 2nd time around. Gonna have to re run the telnet unlock tool again just so I can pull stats.

Really? I'm on that version and mine reset itself back to factory settings before I could finish typing in the telnet commands...

It kept kicking me out after every command too.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

so after a month of testing, it seems my TP-Link TL-WR1043ND can't keep a PPPoE session going for more than few days without disconnecting.

for some reason i suspected it was my DSL line but it never loses sync. i had dd-wrt on it and i could see some weird behaviour like high CPU/load usage before a disconnect or it rebooting entirely.

i loaded up open-wrt on it and i'm also seeing the same thing. i put the Sagemcom back into it's default mode and it hasn't disconnected in almost 2 weeks now.

just wondering if anyone else is seeing this with their routers and PPPoE? i have a feeling this TP-Link is just bad or weak overall, but I don't feel like dropping any more money on something that likely is built from the same parts and might just crash too.

anyone have any success stories with the Sagemcom in bridge + a long PPPoE uptime?
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

I've had a week or more of uptime, at least. It's gone now due to some unrelated DSL issues but I've never had a problem maintaining the PPPoE session.

For reference, I have a WRT600N running DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to jmck

to jmck
My uptime right now is 15 days with Asus RT-N56U and Sagemcom in pass through mode.
vzm
join:2013-04-15
Ottawa, ON

vzm

My connection reset last night after 20 days, which is alright but I should be able to keep the same ip for months at a time. Does anybody with different modem have better uptime?

infamouskid
join:2007-01-24
White Rock, BC

infamouskid to t3st3r

to t3st3r
how long is the ip lease time by default anyways?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to t3st3r

MVM

to t3st3r
PPPoE IP allocation doesn't work on a system of time-limited leases like DHCP does.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i took the WRT54GSv7 out of the closet today and hooked it up to see how it will perform before buying anything else.

with stock firmware it was doing 50/10 easily at speedtest.net while DHCP'ing off the Sagemcom.

i put the latest dd-wrt on it and it seems to struggle a bit as expected and can only do 47-48Mbit/sec.

I'll try setting it in PPPoE mode and setting the Sagemcom back to bridge later, but I assume it might do even less in PPPoE mode because of the CPU usage.
t3st3r
Toronto, ON

t3st3r

If you disable QOS and bump the clock speed to 250 you should be able to do 50/10 with PPPoE no problem. I had my WRT54GL with Tomato v1.28 set up like this for a while before I got the WRT-600N.