Click for full size
48 STR SM and 12 STR SM backhoe
Click for full size
48 and 12 STR
Click for full size
96 STR SM and some MM and 100pr copper backhoe
Click for full size
Verizon Avis fiber
some recent fiber breaks, I was just a spectator for the VZE fiber. Pics 2 and 3 are the same break, labels got mixed up.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
Bad locates, and bad equipment operators = Job security...

We've had a rash of hits lately, too... My favourite was a guy who was installing a billboard. Augered through the conduit and cable, then poured cement to hold his post up... Had to dig up and replace like 40' of concrete-filled duct, before we could pull the new cable...

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to jmich
IT FML right there... I usually have a good laugh when I hear the RFO "fiber cut repaired" -- I usually visualize someone
driving a plough, running over one, paying it no mind as they drag it up another 20feet, then continuing on -- but these
photos puts some perspective into things.

...dial before you dig, kids! :facepalm:

Regards

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

... and by kids, you mean middle aged guys and gals using big power toys?

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

...dial before you dig, kids! :facepalm:

Your assuming that the people marking the wires know what they are doing. Every time I call them the markings are off by anywhere from 10 to 250 feet. The only thing calling before you dig saves you is some of the headaches with the insurance company's when the repair bills come due.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to jmich
We had 100 pair copper cut at a branch office last year because it was not marked properly before they cut the driveway to install drainage...OOPS

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to jmich
I wonder if the backhoe operator crapped his/her pants when they found out.

I also bet their insurance adjuster laughed his/her ass off due to insanity of knowing how much it's going to cost to repair this.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to jmich
@Simba7
What I hear usually is the person operating the machinery (and the rest of the group) head over thataway... very fast...
and never look back.

"Hey, the machine's here, but no one operating it.... mayit it just randomly ended up here." :sighs:

Regards

jmich
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ
reply to jmich
Click for full size
7500 ft 24 STR SM
Click for full size
orange
Click for full size
green
Click for full size
brown
Click for full size
Click for full size
slate
repairing

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to jmich
Why are the fibers blue in the 'slate' picture?

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ
pigtails were all of the same color as opposed to the pre-fab kits used on the other tubes.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
reply to jmich
How do you like your FSM-40? We're looking at ditching our v-groove splicer for a core alignment, but I'm not in the spending range of a model 60. Wouldn't mind getting an older re-certified model.

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ
ours has reached it's end of life and my boss is on the fence about upgrading. We will be sending it to NC for re-calibration someday when a lull develops. It's been rock-solid since 2001.

gfh356

@videotron.ca
reply to jmich
Damn! Sorry but that is one ugly splice tray! How are you cleaning the gel out of the tubes? I bet that if I pull on the tubes there won't be much resistance! I always use 2 wire-ties. The bends on the blue pigtails are too small and they have no slack at all. Also, no fibre-glass tape on the feeder? The 40 is fine but very slow! If you don't do alot of splicing it may be ok but I would go with a 50s at a bare minimum. The 60s is very fast and basically never allow a bad fusion.

Smokeshow
Premium
join:2009-02-26
Cold Lake, AB
said by gfh356 :

Damn! Sorry but that is one ugly splice tray! How are you cleaning the gel out of the tubes? I bet that if I pull on the tubes there won't be much resistance! I always use 2 wire-ties. The bends on the blue pigtails are too small and they have no slack at all. Also, no fibre-glass tape on the feeder? The 40 is fine but very slow! If you don't do alot of splicing it may be ok but I would go with a 50s at a bare minimum. The 60s is very fast and basically never allow a bad fusion.

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thought so. If you read the instructions on those Corning splice trays, they clearly say 2 - 2.5 times around the tray before splicing, and you always put a wrap of tape on a buffer tube before securing it with a cable tie.

jmich
Premium
Toms River, NJ
hmm, yet they all tested perfect. Unemployed haters gonna hate I guess.

randompunch

join:2013-05-15
I have no doubt about your fusion but the job do look ugly. I can tell you I am employed and something like that would get me fired in no time (well probably not :P )! The reason you put 2 wire-tie is that way it can't sag one way or the other and provide much stronger pull resistance. I also wouldn't put the blue part (not sure about the english name) in the sleeve because that way you barely have any length of pull force protection on one side of the splice. I also like to put the feeder on one side of the tray and the distribution on the other. Using a pen to as identification is a big no-no imo... Take the criticism and move on

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to jmich
Agreed. It works, and it'll probably hold, but it's a little dirty.

The way to think of it... You're doing a 10$ job with a 20K$+ machine. Take the time to do it perfectly. There's a lot of minor issues with that splice that will probably never kill it, but it's sloppy work. Only thing I'd really harp on is the lack of the two tie-wraps, and the worst part would be the zero slack on the blues. You're 100% screwed if one of them breaks.

rhyst9

join:2013-03-04
reply to jmich
There is a lot of bagging his work, and not knowing enough myself could someone post what they believe is the better/tidy way??

Capthook

@pldt.net
reply to jmich
clean

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to jmich
Remember, there is no job that can't be done too poorly.