uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

4 edits
reply to lutful

Re: Improper ground

said by lutful:

Your original fence photo with the clamped conductor was a pathetic example of grounding for either electrical or lightning safety.

Well that is how the U.S. government requires the work to be done, if you have a problem with that take it up with Uncle Sam, not me.

Again I refer you to a document from the U.S. Department of Energy...

FWIW that clamp is a Burndy GAR series U.L. listed mechanical connector designed just for that purpose.

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to grobinette
said by grobinette:

Man, did you guys drift off into never never land. The original question was about IowaCowboy See Profile's grandma's grounding. Is it done correctly or not?

Based upon the photographs and what he has posted it appears to have been done properly and safely.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to 54067323
said by 54067323:

said by lutful:

Your original fence photo with the clamped conductor was a pathetic example of grounding for either electrical or lightning safety.

Well that is how the U.S. government requires the work to be done, if you have a problem with that take it up with Uncle Sam, not me.

No. If you are truly unable to see it's flaws, there is nothing more to say. Get Uncle Sam to review your handiwork.

I am NOT proposing less protection than US Govt. guidelines as you keep implying. I am proposing MORE protection by lowering impedance of the grounding conductors. I have no issue with above suggestions (for example) but you will probably find some way to dismiss it. Go ahead.

Tuscaloosa, AL
said by lutful:

I have no issue with above suggestions (for example) but you will probably find some way to dismiss it. Go ahead.

I don't but apparently you do...

said by lutful:

The next photo with exothermic bonded conductors is better but still far from the "recommended engineering practices" for utility substations

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
I put in those highlights in green to show how the conductors should run straight down into the ground and then bend gradually below grade to bond with the ground grid. That makes a huge difference in impedance values measured under simulated lightning waveform.

Tuscaloosa, AL

2 edits
said by lutful:

I put in those highlights in green to show how the conductors should run straight down into the ground and then bend gradually below grade to bond with the ground grid. That makes a huge difference in impedance values measured under simulated lightning waveform.

Like sweeps?

said by lutful:

Longer sweeping bond wires may measure higher "impedance" between 100Hz and 10Khz than a shorter bond wire even with a relatively sharp 90 degree bend.

So now you are advocating using sweeps?

That’s IMO kinda circular logic.
Expand your moderator at work