Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

What will Verizon do to compete with Google ?

Well I was just wondering and I do live in New York City where competition is alright , I ditched TWC few months ago and do not regret it. In different states for example I see offers for symetrical ex;100/100 or google fiber of course another example.

Do you guys think Verizon will bump our speeds? example 50/25 to 75/35 , 75/35 to 100/45? just examples right here.

Just want to know what you guys think will happen next.

Thank you

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Google doesn't have fiber in any of Verizon's footprint. Therefore; nothing.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to patt2k

Even though they aren't in competition yet I sure hope it pushes them to rethink their strategy. ATT might be rethinking their plans in Austin. Dallas is only a few hours away and has FIOS and ATT areas and TWC in all as the cable vendor. ATT needs to adjust there too..

I just want them to be scared enough to think that people will move away to these areas or fear that Google or other vendors will over in.. I am moving to Dallas soon and will only pick a home that has FIOS available as I want competition. Most of the Dallas areas are bpon only so TWC will have faster downstream for a while until upgrades take place.. I currently live in Pittsburgh, but moved here about 1.5yr ago and did the same determining factor of where I bought a home.. I demand competition..

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to patt2k

FIOS service is solid and I'm sure as capacity needs grow, we'll see upgrades at the CO's (like we did from BPON TO GPON).

Non-FIOS or FTTH locations ... *shrug*
--
Add a signature here

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

Even though they aren't in competition yet I sure hope it pushes them to rethink their strategy. ATT might be rethinking their plans in Austin. Dallas is only a few hours away and has FIOS and ATT areas and TWC in all as the cable vendor. ATT needs to adjust there too..

I just want them to be scared enough to think that people will move away to these areas or fear that Google or other vendors will over in.. I am moving to Dallas soon and will only pick a home that has FIOS available as I want competition. Most of the Dallas areas are bpon only so TWC will have faster downstream for a while until upgrades take place.. I currently live in Pittsburgh, but moved here about 1.5yr ago and did the same determining factor of where I bought a home.. I demand competition..

A lot of DFW has actually been upgraded to GPON. I have it here in Denton and have 75/35. It is way faster then the standard Time Warner and Charter options in the area. Some Dallas suburbs, Fort Worth, and most FW suburbs are actually served by Charter and At&t or Verizon. A few select areas mainly around Southlake and Keller have both U-Verse and FIOS.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

We'll see XG-PON roll out when Verizon is actually forced to compete.

Or an alternate reality, depending on how the stock holders sway, would be Verizon caves and sells off FiOS to focus only on wireless.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by McBane:

Or an alternate reality, depending on how the stock holders sway, would be Verizon caves and sells off FiOS to focus only on wireless.

I'm afraid this sounds like something that really could happen.

Tonice2007
Premium
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

said by Raphion:

said by McBane:

It's always possible, since Verizon Wireless is a cash cow, but if you look at it as a market standpoint, it's not "profitable" for Verizon to completely sell their landline business, since it's less risky then their cash cow...

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma

said by Tonice2007:

said by Raphion:

said by McBane:

It's always possible, since Verizon Wireless is a cash cow, but if you look at it as a market standpoint, it's not "profitable" for Verizon to completely sell their landline business, since it's less risky then their cash cow...

Verizon is sitting in a good position now to compete Head to Head with Google Fiber. You should be asking what is TWC and AT&T going to do to compete with Google Fiber and Verizon FiOS. Verizon FiOS is 100% Fiber, like Google Fiber, so if a Community wants it and they are in Verizon Area just ask....You might get what you wish!

Tonice2007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by alchav:

Verizon is sitting in a good position now to compete Head to Head with Google Fiber. You should be asking what is TWC and AT&T going to do to compete with Google Fiber and Verizon FiOS. Verizon FiOS is 100% Fiber, like Google Fiber, so if a Community wants it and they are in Verizon Area just ask....You might get what you wish!

Verizon isn't offering more buildouts of their FTTH service, meaning that unless your town/city has a buildout contract with them such as NYC, they are not expanding their FTTH network.

Sorry.

GoodOmens

join:2005-07-06
Arlington, VA
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

said by McBane:

Maybe google will buy them

guyjr

join:1999-08-30
USA

I highly, highly doubt Google would be at all interested in buying an ILEC. Their history and track record shows that they are much more interested in building out networks that suit their needs first while minimizing costs. The KC fiber project is an experiment but Google is gaining a huge amount of data as a by-product. I don't really see them as the savior who will come and bring fiber to the masses in this country (as much as I would like that to be the case - telecommuting via Fiber from a 100 acre farm is one of my pipe dreams).

GoodOmens

join:2005-07-06
Arlington, VA

said by guyjr:

I highly, highly doubt Google would be at all interested in buying an ILEC. Their history and track record shows that they are much more interested in building out networks that suit their needs first while minimizing costs. The KC fiber project is an experiment but Google is gaining a huge amount of data as a by-product. I don't really see them as the savior who will come and bring fiber to the masses in this country (as much as I would like that to be the case - telecommuting via Fiber from a 100 acre farm is one of my pipe dreams).

Well I was replying to specifically if Verizon sells off FIOS.

The fact that Google just purchased iProvo in Utah and will be releasing service using iProvo's existing fiber further validates Google is OK using other peoples lines.

pappy97

join:2007-03-12
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to ilikeme

"A lot of DFW has actually been upgraded to GPON. I have it here in Denton and have 75/35."

Huh? Denton has GPON, but I'm sure of anywhere else in the DFW Metro where FIOS has been upgraded to GPON without calling and getting Smalll Business or retention to do the upgrade (Specifically I know of one person in Murphy [McBane] and one in Wylie that is like that), but other than Denton, where else has Verizon rolled out GPON upgrades?

On mine in Wylie, I cannot order GPON tiers. Supposedly I can get them if I call and get the right person in retention, but I wouldn't say that I'm upgraded. I do have 75/35 on BPON though.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state

1 edit
reply to GoodOmens

said by GoodOmens:

The fact that Google just purchased iProvo in Utah and will be releasing service using iProvo's existing fiber further validates Google is OK using other peoples lines.

I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo. For Google this is all going to come down to money, just look at the track record when something starts costing them money they dump it and Google Fiber could end up in the same boat.

Tonice2007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

said by flashcore:

said by GoodOmens:

I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo. For Google this is all going to come down to money, just look at the track record when something starts costing them money they dump it and Google Fiber could end up in the same boat.

Well, anything Google does costs them money, but is it going to be profitable for Google, is what Google is concerned about.

Meaning, that Google isn't willing to build out a system wide fiber network, because there is no "demand" for it, or if there is it's not "profitable" for them to do so.

Every company does this, look at AT&T, Verizon, TW, etc. they all calculate how much something costs, and if it's going to be "profitable" for them.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to flashcore

quote:
I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo.
Verizon "workers" are rich or something? Or is this jealousy because they might have better benefits than you? Trying to make sense of your comment. God forbid people have good paying jobs.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to patt2k

I think that Google is really focused on "spot opportunities" when it comes to the Google Fiber project(s)...and as has already been pointed out, there isn't any overlap to-date with VZ FiOS areas. So the likely impact of Google's offerings on VZ's tiers and prices is negligible, if at all. Honestly, the kind of business climate for this stuff in the US is such that the majority of providers are focusing on profit maximization, not providing great service nor ubiquitous service like in other areas of the world. And that includes eschewing new fiber for wireless...much less capital required to roll it out and the ability to charge a lot of money for a little bit of access.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

quote:
I would suspect that Google's Fiber project is not unionized and I would suspect Google wants to keep it that way if they ever hope to have a profit. Buying something like FiOS would mean Verizon coming in and taking over the rest of the workforce costing Google a ton of money. Why would they want to deal with those headaches when they can just build there own or buy non-union public/private network like iProvo.
Verizon "workers" are rich or something? Or is this jealousy because they might have better benefits than you? Trying to make sense of your comment. God forbid people have good paying jobs.

I work for the government, so no its not a better benefits thing or jealousy (Being in management I am not forced to pay dues like the rest of my employees but i use to and I hated it). I just cant stand the way they leech off the people they claim they represent while providing no real incentives to exist other then to serve their own best interests. At this point in time the unions do not do anything for there membership unless it benefits them, federal/state laws have done away with the need for a union but thanks to the people running this country they will not eliminate the leeches.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 edit
reply to ITALIAN926

Face it, every union every trade, certainly the ones I've seen, has members who are barely tolerated in the good times, but who "help" during labor negotiations. Call them whatever you want to, but everybody knows it is the elephant in the room.

FWIW, there's good managers on both sides of the fence as well as bad. I have to work with all of them. All of the VZ folks I have encountered have been good at what they do, no question about that. But I have encountered two in my local area capable of assisting with labor negotiations.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to Tonice2007

said by Tonice2007:

said by alchav:

Verizon isn't offering more buildouts of their FTTH service, meaning that unless your town/city has a buildout contract with them such as NYC, they are not expanding their FTTH network.

Sorry.

While they are not currently going to build out any more, that doesn't preclude them from doing so in the in the future. The could very well turn on the builds and expand FiOS again at any time should they see a better ROI model or other economic driver.

They are still very much in the drivers seat...for now...

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

That's true, danclan, but VZ has pretty much "said" they do not plan on deploying any new FiOS territory in favor of using wireless (LTE) as their going forward technology. I think there would have to be some kind of major event to make the cost of deploying the fiber look more attractive for build-out. And yea...that's sad. Fiber is simply outstanding and virtually future-proof relative to what it can carry.

alchav

Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to danclan

said by danclan:

said by Tonice2007:

said by alchav:

Sorry.

While they are not currently going to build out any more, that doesn't preclude them from doing so in the in the future. The could very well turn on the builds and expand FiOS again at any time should they see a better ROI model or other economic driver.

I'm sure Verizon will listen if 100% of a Community or City wants FiOS, but they don't have money to deploy FiOS on a chance some people may want it. Either you want FiOS or you don't want it, the choice is yours.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

said by alchav:

I'm sure Verizon will listen if 100% of a Community or City wants FiOS, but they don't have money to deploy FiOS on a chance some people may want it. Either you want FiOS or you don't want it, the choice is yours.

You mean communities like Buffalo, Alexandria, Baltimore and Boston?
»Verizon Again Confirms FiOS Expansion is Over

It's purely a shareholder position. The current CEO/shareholder opinion could change, possibly if Google turns a huge profit from Google fiber. Verizon has recently started to admit that with all the money they "lost" over FiOS since it's initial deployment they are actually reaping in a profit from it now. Share holders do not like a long term return on their investments, but if they see a huge return from something like Google fiber that may sway their opinions.

Then again Verizon has been selling off bits and pieces of it's FiOS network, so they may turn the other door and sell the whole thing. That would be a tough sell without them turning over their tier 1 backbone to support the FiOS subscribers and I'm sure they want to keep that for their wireless. (That and owning a major tier 1, especially the largest, is a huge cash cow and comes with great power in itself)

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to alchav

said by alchav:

Either you want FiOS or you don't want it, the choice is yours.

That has nothing to with whether you will get FIOS. As McBane See Profile pointed out, the FIOS expansion is over.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Morris0

join:2011-05-14
reply to birdfeedr

TV and Phone

Expand your moderator at work

fiberr

@verizon.net
reply to patt2k

Re: What will Verizon do to compete with Google ?

If Google Fiber were competing in my area, I would just switch to them. I don't have any particular loyalty to Verizon (or any other cable/telco company for that matter), they just happen to offer the best speed/reliability/price at the moment

alchav

Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by alchav:

Either you want FiOS or you don't want it, the choice is yours.

That has nothing to with whether you will get FIOS. As McBane See Profile pointed out, the FIOS expansion is over.

The FiOS expansion may be over, but no Company is going to turn down a good business opportunity. If a City or Community approaches Verizon and wants FiOS with 100% Buy-in, I'm sure Verizon will accommodate them.

sonofsmog

join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

said by McBane:

I really wish people would quit quit with the Verizon is going to sell/abandon FIOS meme. Verizon is going to do no such thing. I'm sorry that a lot of people that want FIOS aren't going to get it right now (shoo.. i got MINE) because Verizon is going to maximize the tremendous sums of money they have already spent before they start spending more, but that's just they way it is.

Speaking of maximizing their existing FIOS investment:

Verizon's (NYSE: VZ) wireline results in Q1 2013 were once again dominated by the growth of its FiOS Internet and TV offerings, which helped to drive up overall wireline consumer revenues 4.3 percent to $3.6 billion.

While buying higher broadband speed FiOS data was a priority, a key trend during the quarter was that more consumers were purchasing multiple services.

These factors drove up FiOS ARPU to over $150 and consumer ARPU up 9.5 percent year over year to $107.15.

Read more: Verizon FiOS additions drove up consumer revenue 4.3% to $3.6 billion - FierceTelecom »www.fiercetelecom.com/story/veri···RV4l3lTY
Subscribe at FierceTelecom