spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zekar_shre

@yeungnam.ac.kr

About searching 3 or more AP

I am working on Rouge AP detection mechanism. I am new to this research. I would like to know if any user node can see three or more AP of the same campus network or enterprise network at the same time. At lease 3 AP can be seen as 3 different channels can be used. Is it possible for a user node to see more than 3 AP.
Please help me in this matter.
Thanks in advance.

BlueMist

join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 edit

I'm not sure exactly what you need but take a look at the following link.

»www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

If you click on the download button you will find that they make an application for Windows, Apple, and Android systems.

The two Windows versions are free and work on most systems that have wireless access. The Mac and Android versions can be had for a minimal charge.

The application will show you the SSID name of the access point, the signal strength, radio channel, and security method among other settings.

As a side note, I have seen as many as 20 access points at one time using my laptop and inSSIDer. All were encrypted with one form or another with many on the same channels. You might see more or likely less depending on where you are at when you run the program.

Hope this gets you going with out having to write your own code.

zekar

join:2013-04-15

Actually, I want a research paper or similar paper that justify that a wireless user node can see 3 or more AP of the same network like campus network.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

Sounds like a school or univerisity assignement. Can you post the actual question.

zekar

It is related to Rouge AP detection mechanism. I wanted to know if any wireless user node can see three or more AP of the same enterprise network at the same time in practical scenario. Generally, 3 different channels are use to avoid interference so at most a wireless node can see 3 AP so I want some related documents to justify this....

Thank you

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Yes but are you at IT head of department at a business and are implementing this or just curious?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:17
reply to zekar_shre

said by zekar_shre :

I would like to know if any user node can see three or more AP of the same campus network or enterprise network at the same time.

Lemme get this straight, you're interested in rogue AP detection research, but you don't have the fundamentals
of wireless down? Four letters for you -- C W N A.

The simple answer to your question above is "YES." The long answer is "it depends."

said by zekar:

Generally, 3 different channels are use to avoid interference so at most a wireless node can see 3 AP

Something tells me you haven't been near a high-density residence like an apartment or student dorm where
everyone and their dog is running wireless -- try this as an example

Regards

zekar

Actually, the picture you sent is not so clear. I am not an expert but I just need justification of this via some published papers or magazine or something... I want some related papers where the user node can see more than three access point at a time of the same campus or enterprise network. In my case, the same wireless user node must select legitimate AP among three or more AP in surrounding of the same Campus network eg. if it sees SSID: campus_1; campus_3; campus_6; campus_7 etc at the same time ....

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Yes zekar but you havent explained why you need or are seeking this information. This helps us tailor responses. What made you ask these questions?