IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

Rate Alert for Next Month

Click for full size
Oh well... Gott to have my HGTV, Disney and Nickelodeon Cartoon Network and ESPN

Better hope those mysterious HDDTA's come up soon if Mediacom is working on them also, Maybe change Prime + to 40Mb/5Mb

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by IowaMan:

Maybe change Prime + to 40Mb/5Mb

Or... Prime Plus 30Mb/5Mb for $64.99!

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to IowaMan
Programming fees are out of control.

Hopefully Aereo wins their lawsuit. If they do, there are many in the broadcast industry who believe it will open the floodgates for cable companies to get out of paying local stations retransmission fees.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
OK, Someone enlighten me, Why is it that the "local" stations request money when OTA people don't pay a cent, Seems like double dipping to me. I understand the likes of ESPN and the other national networks but why should I pay an extra $2.xx a month for what I could get for FREE?

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
said by IowaMan:

OK, Someone enlighten me, Why is it that the "local" stations request money when OTA people don't pay a cent, Seems like double dipping to me. I understand the likes of ESPN and the other national networks but why should I pay an extra $2.xx a month for what I could get for FREE?

Other than greed and because "they can" charge a fee, my understanding is that the retransmission fee is to either (1) account for market share not accounted for in Arbitron ratings, and therefore not sufficiently charged in station advertising rates when only OTA audience is counted; and/or (2) to account for the local station advertisements not broadcast at those times when Mediacom is substituting one of their own commercials.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
Its more sinister than that. They charge retrans fees because they know that a household with cable has competition to their programming, and fear a loss of advertising revenue from those folks. The retrans is to make up for that.

Is it double dipping? YES. I think it's a crock of shit. PBS stations are not allowed retrans as that really would be double dipping.

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
Isn't it also a law that basic cable *has* to carry local stations?

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Yes I believe it is because that was the original point of cable

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to jpatton
said by jpatton:

Isn't it also a law that basic cable *has* to carry local stations?

No. The local station can say cable must carry in which case there are no fees to be collected by the local. If the local opts for retransmission consent then they negotiate the rate but cable can opt to not carry the local.

halsneb
Premium
join:2005-10-14
Osage, IA
While it isn't true that cable companies don't "Have" carry the local stations, customers would revolt if the they were to stand up to the local broadcasters and refuse to pay the outrageous fees.
--
"User, Noun. The word computer professionals use when they mean Idiot." -- Dave Barry

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to IowaMan
Our area increase was a little less.

"We understand that rate increases are never welcome. However, to continue to bring you
the best possible service, effective on your next bill the rate for Family TV will increase $2
and a Local Broadcast Station Surcharge of $1.93 will be added to offset increases from
local stations incurred since 12/31/11. Thank you for being a Mediacom customer."

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
reply to drslash
Yeah, that makes sense... not sure how I forgot all the mess about potentially dropping FOX here.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to IowaMan
"Local Broadcast Station Surcharge" is Mediacom's "modem rental fee" for cable TV. Next year they'll probably add a "Sports Programming Surcharge" to Family Cable.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:116
wth,

Due to channels increasing what they charge to rebroadcast them Mediacom has added the local surcharge to accounts for the local channel increase, and there is an increase to Family Cable to take care of the increase on non-local channel charges.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to IowaMan
This may be a way that Mediacom is letting us customers know just what the locals are charging Mediacom in their retransmission agreements. Mediacom can't disclose what they pay each local station, but there's probably no law that says Mediacom can't say how much there forced to pay for ALL the locals combined in your area.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to IowaMan
Probably no law against it, but they still wouldn't do it. It would give their competitors competitive intelligence. In Eastern Iowa, I have heard reports from other TV service providers that the recent increases in transmission fees have been substantial. Multi-fold increases. KCRG wanted a 500% increase from Dish. No idea what they finally settled it at.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to IowaMan
If anyone has any questions at all about your bill, feel free to send me a private message here, and I will be happy to look into it.

Vols44

join:2010-10-23
Springfield, MO
reply to IowaMan
Not the least bit pleased about my rate going up (again) with the may bill. My two year special is up in October. I don't know why I should pay for local channels that are free via my HD antenna (and a better picture quality). Mediacom is making my decision to pull the plug very hard (or easy) depending how you look at things.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Vols44,

If you would like to look into getting a lower rate I can check in on that for you. Just personally message me with your account or phone number.

Aurock

join:2011-02-01
Silvis, IL
reply to IowaMan
I didn't see the notice on last month's bill until after I saw a new $0.00 line item this month. Since the charge was for the amount of $0 on my current bill, I assume that's because I'm under contract for the bundle I have, and the price increase won't actually happen until my contract ends, is that right?