uniqs
share rss forum feed

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York

All Win 7 - Windows Explorer - takes time to respond/sort :/

Click for full size
so this is the case for any Win 7 PC I was on...

I imagine your Win Vista / Win 7 ... is the same

if I got to a folder and want to sort by date created or such

it was instantaneous on Win XP = awesome

but in Win 7 - the location / URL bar on top (like where "C:\Users\SONY\AppData\Roaming\PotPlayerMini\Capture" is) some background progress bar grayscale - gray to white - starts shwoing the loading progress of what...

and takes some minutes of wait time ...

and only then I can sort

so annoying

why?

any remedy?

thank you...

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

I've seen it be slow while it's indexing a drive.

Is it slow on all drives or just external drives/devices?

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1

That is why I disabled the indexing service..

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to inGearX

You probably have some stupid plug-in; that is not 'normal' Windows behaviour.

It's unclear to me when you're saying the 'progress bar' appears. If it shows up after you attempt to re-sort, that's very weird: there is no reason why re-sort needs to do any file system I/O.

If the 'progress bar' is showing before you request a re-sort, then Explorer still has not finished its initial listing of the directory content, and that's likely why re-sorting is slow. But the issue is (in this case) with the initial listing and not the re-sort.

inGearX
3.1415 9265

join:2000-06-11
New York

said by dave:

You probably have some stupid plug-in; that is not 'normal' Windows behaviour.

It's unclear to me when you're saying the 'progress bar' appears. If it shows up after you attempt to re-sort, that's very weird: there is no reason why re-sort needs to do any file system I/O.

If the 'progress bar' is showing before you request a re-sort, then Explorer still has not finished its initial listing of the directory content, and that's likely why re-sorting is slow. But the issue is (in this case) with the initial listing and not the re-sort.

by progress bar - I mean the address space is white and gray bar moving from left to right - as in the screenshot

thx

yea maybe some plugins as it doesn't do that on another account on same PC

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

but when does it appear?

not until the point at which you click to re-sort, or as soon as you open that folder?

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to inGearX

For graphics files, Win7 likes to display thumbnails, so it has to open each one. Also, it may be that there are too many files in this folder. How many files are in this folder?