Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RomVL

@videotron.ca
reply to Apache77

Re: [Internet] Videotron wants $1,000 for cancelling Internet co

said by Apache77:

Isn't the standard recording something like "This call may be monitored or recorded to ensure quality"?

In reality it seems they should say "This call may be monitored or recorded so one of our agents can tape you agreeing to something that you may not want or understand, and then we can use that recording as a contract."

Again, I still find it disturbing that Videotron (or any telecom) can hold customers to these flimsy verbal agreements, especially considering the ridiculous length of the contracts.

Well, if I look at Videotron's website, you are not force to sign contract. The price is just different. So ultimately, this is a decision you made to have an engagement in return of a better price. Now you regret it, ok fine. You should deal with them to only pay the price difference between 3 years engagement and no engagement for the month you got the services... Quite sure they will accept this kind of agreement (which is probably what you will be able to get in a court of law).

GRT

join:2007-10-14
canada
reply to TH47
said by TH47:

And another thing.

If they recorded the "verbal agreement", do you remember being told that it would be recorded?

1) A verbal agreement is a binding contract the same way as a written one.
2) In Canada you can record a phone conversion as long as one party is aware, in the case of 2 parties, you can record a phone conversation (legally) even without warning the other party.
Where it is illegal is when there is a 3rd party. If Part 1 records conversation between party 2 and 3.

So when making the agreement / contract if you were aware of the penalties I guess there is nothing much you can fight for.

And besides, what the hell kind of company makes verbal agreements with another company - that's not the norm. But nonetheless it is still valid ! Any agreement between 2 parties, verbal or written, written on paper, toilet paper, bark of a tree or even a piece of pancake, is a legal contract the moment both parties agree on the terms.

TH47

join:2005-10-29
Would be nice if we could apply the same principle to politicians...

Altheran5

join:2011-04-08
canada
Reviews:
·Videotron
reply to Apache77
said by Apache77:

Isn't the standard recording something like "This call may be monitored or recorded to ensure quality"?

In reality it seems they should say "This call may be monitored or recorded so one of our agents can tape you agreeing to something that you may not want or understand, and then we can use that recording as a contract."

Again, I still find it disturbing that Videotron (or any telecom) can hold customers to these flimsy verbal agreements, especially considering the ridiculous length of the contracts.

I never considered (If you want free installation, you will have to agree to a 3 yrs contract) hard to understand -_-