All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

SB6141 20$ OFF TODAY ONLY , White Color 4/16/13 - ONLY

If you are planning to buy a modem and avoid the rental charges I just found a deal on Newegg for White SB6141 , you get 20$ rebate card I have done rebates through newegg many times so it's your pick.

Ends today , enjoy!

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 0001-L0C
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin

I wonder if buying your own modem is a wise idea. How long is the amortization time two? two and half years?

As we all know DOCSIS3.1 will use OFDM and current modems won't be able to handle that modulation scheme.

According to this »www.lightreading.com/blo ··· 40151838 article 'new CPE' will be a hybrid between DOCSIS3.0 QAM and DOCSIS3.1 OFDM

Just a thought.
djc6
Premium Member
join:2007-11-28
Rocky River, OH
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear Orbi

djc6 to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
Thank You! I was looking to buy one of these! The SBG6580 TWC gave me is a pain when I try to use it with my own router, so I'm looking for an SB6141.

Time Warner says if I want a plain DOCSIS 3.0 modem - no router/gateway combo, my only choice is to buy my own modem. They don't stock regular modems anymore in my area
patt2k

patt2k to etaadmin

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

I wonder if buying your own modem is a wise idea. How long is the amortization time two? two and half years?

As we all know DOCSIS3.1 will use OFDM and current modems won't be able to handle that modulation scheme.

According to this »www.lightreading.com/blo ··· 40151838 article 'new CPE' will be a hybrid between DOCSIS3.0 QAM and DOCSIS3.1 OFDM

Just a thought.

Oh I honestly don't know I am not with TWC anymore.
Just found a deal and know this is approved modem on TWC and shared it here.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to patt2k

to patt2k
Darn bought mine last month from Newegg and paid full price.

Be warned thought the blue lights are very bright and the activity light keeps blinking even when there is no activity. I had to put mine under my desk and still had to put white electric tape over it because it is brighter than a night light.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to patt2k

to patt2k

While DOCSIS 3.1 is coming I don't see Time Warner quick to deploy [I could be wrong]... They are still finishing up building out DOCSIS 3.0 services in most areas .. and still support DOCSIS 2.0 modems for the smaller tiers.. I would say it would be ok to purchase a D3 modem at this point and still get good use out of it.
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin

In another article »www.lightreading.com/hea ··· 40151312 Jorge Salinger said that Comcast is going ahead with DOCSIS3.1 this year and full deployment by 2014-2015.

TWC/TWI didn't specify dates but it is expected to trial or deploy by 2014.

The thing is that CCAP and DOCSIS3.1 makes perfect business sense which could act as a catalyst for faster deployment.

1. Getting rid of analog channels and requiring a cable box eliminates cable theft, a problem that plagued cable outfits since the beginning of time. + for the cableco as that will force all thieves people with special promotions to use a digital box... and pay for the subscription.

2. CCAP is compatible with DOCSIS3.1 and DOCSIS3.1 is backward compatible with DOCSIS3.0. A + for 'easy' migration.

3. As more analogs are freed up selective nodes can be switched to D3.1 OFDM and 'forget' about DOCSIS3.0.

4. IP based streams and services could be around the corner.

DOCSIS3.1 makes more sense from the business stand point than from the consumer side.

I don't want to hijack the thread, the newegg offer looks pretty good.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

Just a thought.

Well lets see. $70.99 after MIR and free shipping divided by $3.95/mo is about 18 months or 1.5 years.

DOCSIS 3.1 will be backwards compatible with 3.0.

The DOCSIS 3.1 spec is expected to be finalized later this year with equipment coming out in 2014/2015 with initial deployment in 2015/2016. Knowing TWC, this means TWC will roll out an initial "pilot" program in Texas sometime in 2016/2017 with "surgical" deployments in 2017. This means most of the country has about 4.5 years before they'll see it if they have TWC.

Assuming TWC deploys it in your area, you upgrade the moment it's available, and TWC doesn't increase the cable modem lease fee before then, you will have paid off the modem 3 times.

And lets not forget that TWC in general only issues combined router/gateways for D3 speed tiers, so if you want a plain modem you must buy your own anyway.

/M
mackey

mackey to etaadmin

Premium Member

to etaadmin
said by etaadmin:

In another article »www.lightreading.com/hea ··· 40151312 Jorge Salinger said that Comcast is going ahead with DOCSIS3.1 this year and full deployment by 2014-2015.

Bullshit. CCAP != DOCSIS 3.1. DOCIS 3.1 equipment isn't even going to be available until late 2014/2015.
said by »www.lightreading.com/doc ··· 40135193 :

CableLabs expects to complete the core Docsis 3.1 specifications in 2013 and anticipates seeing initial products as early as 2014, according to Matt Schmitt, director of Docsis specifications at CableLabs.

said by etaadmin:

TWC/TWI didn't specify dates but it is expected to trial or deploy by 2014.

Bullshit. Comcast is the only one who has said anything about deploying it, but at any rate the equipment isn't even going to be available until late 2014/2015. TWC generally does just enough to claim "Me Too!" in marketing material and doesn't actually deploy widely until much later.
said by etaadmin:

2. CCAP is compatible with DOCSIS3.1 and DOCSIS3.1 is backward compatible with DOCSIS3.0. A + for 'easy' migration.

An 'easy' migration assuming you have a continuous 24MHz wide chuck of space available to dedicate to D3.1 deployment. Otherwise you're just using D3.1 equipment to run D3 service.

/M
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged to etaadmin

to etaadmin
I've had a 5101 since 2006 or 2007. It's more than paid for itself multiple times over and still works
etaadmin
united state

etaadmin to mackey

to mackey
Besides all the bullshit bullshit 2014 and 2015 is less than a year away as a matter of fact 9 months away to 2014. As for the veracity of the lighreading links I have no idea but the goals seem pretty solid and within reach.

I enclosed 'easy' in quotes for a reason, here the definition for figuratively speaking »www.thefreedictionary.co ··· ratively

Finding 24Mhz of contiguous space is not like 'Jesus raising Lazarus'... ist's just 4 6Mhz channels... notice the quotes

You made my point more valid, is it worth it to own your own DOCSIS modem? Just to save $2.50~3.95 dollars a month and 'stick it to the man'? In two years those modems will be obsolete and tired.

I have tons of obsolete adsl modems that I bought trough the years Westell B90-35R516 and B90-6100, 2 Efficient networks (Siemens), 1 ZyXel and the most expensive a Cisco 837 ($600 ouch!)... definitely not worth it.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by etaadmin:

You made my point more valid, is it worth it to own your own DOCSIS modem? Just to save $2.50~3.95 dollars a month and 'stick it to the man'? In two years those modems will be obsolete and tired.

I have tons of obsolete adsl modems that I bought trough the years Westell B90-35R516 and B90-6100, 2 Efficient networks (Siemens), 1 ZyXel and the most expensive a Cisco 837 ($600 ouch!)... definitely not worth it.

I fail to see how I made your point more valid. In 2 years no only will the modem NOT be obsolete (as there is no way TWC will have rolled out D3.1 widely; at best a single city in Texas will have it), it will not only have paid for itself but it will also have saved you $23.70. In addition, it also allows you to use your own router which will most likely have better wireless range, have control over your wireless security settings, and allows you to set up port forwarding and/or DMZ as needed (i.e. for some games).

Just because you didn't ebay the equipment when you were finished with it and instead prefer to spend even more money on a rental then it would of cost to buy it outright in addition to not having any control over the wireless or port forwarding doesn't mean other people want that.
said by etaadmin:

Besides all the bullshit bullshit 2014 and 2015 is less than a year away as a matter of fact 9 months away to 2014. As for the veracity of the lighreading links I have no idea but the goals seem pretty solid and within reach.

Finding 24Mhz of contiguous space is not like 'Jesus raising Lazarus'... ist's just 4 6Mhz channels... notice the quotes

They are most definitely talking Q4 2014 at the earliest. The equipment makers need to 1) wait for the specs to be written 2) start designing equipment 3) test the equipment in-house 4) get FCC, UL, etc approval before finally 5) starting production. Not gonna happen for at least a year. Once Comcast and maybe a few other cable companies start working out the bugs and deploying it, only then will TWC start looking into it.

Oh sure, just 4 channels. They'll just reach right around and pull them out of their ass! Easy! It's like they had them just laying around and waited almost 2 years before hooking up full 8-down channel bonding because they were bored. 4 QAMs is 8-12 HD TV channels or >16 SD channels. If they had that much room just laying around (and not even in a contiguous block!) they would not be deploying SDV and the like.

/M
djc6
Premium Member
Rocky River, OH
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear Orbi

djc6

Premium Member

said by mackey:

In addition, it also allows you to use your own router which will most likely have better wireless range, have control over your wireless security settings, and allows you to set up port forwarding and/or DMZ as needed (i.e. for some games).

This is the primary motivation behind buying my own modem. I can't believe they don't have any plain DOCSIS 3.0 modems for lease; is having your own router really unpopular? Do most customers just deal with double NAT?

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by djc6:

Do most customers just deal with double NAT?

No, we just disable the routing features. All you have to do is set "NAPT mode" to false in the 6580's config page and it effectively becomes a plain modem. It creates a true bridge, it's not like AT&T U-verse's DMZ+ feaure that "kind-of-sort-of" simulates bridging.

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI

Defiance to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
Wal-Mart sells the Black SB6121 for $89.99. My neighbor picked one up with me just last weekend. If anyone is looking for those.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by Defiance:

Wal-Mart sells the Black SB6121 for $89.99. My neighbor picked one up with me just last weekend. If anyone is looking for those.

Keep in mind this version can only do 4x4 channel bonding. Where as the 6141 can do 8x4 (which Amazon has for $79).
djc6
Premium Member
Rocky River, OH
Motorola MB8600
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
Netgear Orbi

djc6 to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

No, we just disable the routing features.

I don't consider the people on this forum your average user I don't think my neighbors are putting it into NAPT mode.

I also tried this myself; but it didn't seem to persist through power outages, extended service outages, etc.. I had to reset those settings a couple times which is annoying.
patt2k

patt2k

Just wondering any of you bought it ? CHeers
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to djc6

Premium Member

to djc6
said by djc6:

said by djrobx:

No, we just disable the routing features.

I don't consider the people on this forum your average user I don't think my neighbors are putting it into NAPT mode.

I also tried this myself; but it didn't seem to persist through power outages, extended service outages, etc.. I had to reset those settings a couple times which is annoying.

That hasn't been an issue here. And I've been using the SBG6580 for going on 3 years now.

The only issue it seems to have is after a reset the WiFi light comes on. WiFi is disabled. But the light is on. Have to enable then disable it to get it to go out.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
the Black one is $70 today;

Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 07IMPMW4

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

With everything going up these days I am surprised the SB6141 modems are getting cheaper. I should have waited.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

most of the stuff creeping up in price have a lot of memory chips which are now more heavily used in portable devices so demand is greater than supply at the moment. also fabricators keep moving to lower nanometers which pulls some older higher less profitable nanometer fabricators offline thus creating temporary shortages.

also Docsis 3.1 standard is about to be nailed down, so cable companies are pushing to get more people to use Docsis 3.0 modems so they can retire all their Docsis 2.0 infrastructure which is not backwards compatible with Docsis 3.1 - so don't be surprised if two years from now your Cable ISP won't support your docsis 2.0 modem anymore. Docsis 3.0 is backward compatible with Docsis 2.0, so if you are buying a new modem to avoid monthly lease fees, you really should spend a bit more and get the Docsis 3.0 modem now. you won't really need Docsis 3.1 unless you plan on paying for speeds over 200mbps a few years from now.

tonyram57
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57

I will be glad when TWC does not support Docsis 2.0 anymore. I have a Docsis 3.0 modem which should support me for many years. TWC will not be the first to even use Docsis 3.1 for a while not until they stop supporting Docsis 2.0.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Problem is all the cable boxes running Navigator use DOCSIS 2 modems...

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up to Packeteers

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

the Black one is $70 today

I saw it under $70 a few days ago and picked one up. Got delivered today, and got it set up on the web chat... only problem though is when they switched the modems the internet went out and the chat stopped working. derp. I should've realized that would happen.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to patt2k

to patt2k
Just ordered a black 6141 for $65.90 all-in. Should be here Tuesday. Assuming no residual value, I'm coming ahead after 16 months including sales tax on the rental. Hopefully I'll have Google Fiber by then, at which point I'll sell the modem to someone outside GFiber's service area for $20 and come out a bit ahead on the deal.

With the recent price drops on the 6141, I don't feel too bad about waiting until now to get it (I've paid maybe $35 in rental fees). The only qualms I'm having are that TWC will decide to do some crazy upgrades that outstrip the 8x4 capacity of the modem, but I doubt that'll happen. They'd have to hit above 150 Mbps on downloads and above 25 Mbps for uploads to need more than 8x4.