uniqs
share rss forum feed

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

[XPHome] System Slowdown

Over the weekend, I was attempting to install an upgrade of QuickBooks on my wife's computer at her business. There wasn't enough disk space, so I ran the program in Control Panel to free up space by removing old files and compressing other files. She's now telling me that the system has slowed to a crawl. She's rebooted the system 4 or 5 times, in addition to forcing a system shutdown by pulling the plug when it wouldn't respond to anything. Is it possible to undo what I did to free up space? Any other ideas?

Thanks.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
Save heartache. Buy a much larger hard drive.

Then do a clean reinstall of XP-Home followed by installing the newest version of whatever software she needs or wants.

That's a serious suggestion, not intended to be snarky. Simply based on past experience.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
reply to bjf123
Not sure where my first reply went. While I agree that's the simplest solution, in addition to the cost of the drive, it would require buying new copies of XP Home and MS Office. The computer came with the business when she bought it 5+ years ago, but there was no media for the software. I tried on a different computer installing XP Home and Office from someone else's media, but with the serial numbers from the installed versions that I got from Belarc. Didn't work.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to bjf123
It's possible the drive in question has a bad sector or is starting to fail. A bad sector may not cause problems until you try to interact with it as you did over the weekend. It may have been sitting there for a long time untouched and thus not causing any problems.

I would run a full health check on the drive. Seen such issues many, many times that turned out to be a bad HDD.

Or just swap it out & reload - storage is cheap.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to bjf123
To grab space back, use tools such as the following:

CCleaner, check all boxes, except those for passwords if you keep passwords.
»www.piriform.com/ccleaner
PureRa - this will delete all updates etc that are stored from previous updates
»sourceforge.net/projects/purera/

If you have multiple accounts, CCleaner will need to be run on all of them.

Also, you can delete all restore points, do a defrag of the HDD at this point too to pull all files together. Just remember to turn on system restore again. Note, it is best to reboot each time you use this tool so it clears correctly.

On the compress old files, I've been told it is more trouble than it is worth, and if it is compressing system files you will get a slow down as it uncompresses to use them. I don't believe there a way to fix that, a repair install (which means reloading all updates) may fix it. Best of luck with that compression tool, it is more trouble than it is worth.

Also, turning off hibernation in the power option in control panel can give you some space back.

Otherwise as others have said, get a new HDD. Image the system you have then add the image to a new drive and expand the partition. However that compress old files option is a worry for you doing this, speed will not increase I'm afraid.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to bjf123
Check "System Restore", if it has restore points prior to that action. Then apply it...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to bjf123
said by bjf123:

Not sure where my first reply went. While I agree that's the simplest solution, in addition to the cost of the drive, it would require buying new copies of XP Home and MS Office. The computer came with the business when she bought it 5+ years ago, but there was no media for the software. I tried on a different computer installing XP Home and Office from someone else's media, but with the serial numbers from the installed versions that I got from Belarc. Didn't work.

a) I think there are ways to retrieve and re-use the serial numbers
b) get a bigger HD (at least 2x bigger) and copy everything into it with ghost or a similar utility. (that's should work -- I've used it)
c) add an additional HD and move some stuff (i.e. My Documents or other data directories) onto it to free up space on the main HD (I've used this, too)

There are several possibilities for the slowdown, I'm guessing that the artificially restricted swap space coupled with a fragmented drive is what ailing your PC, but nothing can be ruled out without further investigation.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
I'll be back at her office tomorrow night. I'll dig around with some of the suggestions and see what happens.
--

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

Check "System Restore", if it has restore points prior to that action. Then apply it...

I was a little tired earlier, however this mentioned by OZO See Profile should be the first thing you do when at the machine.
It should fix the compression you did - never do it again is my best policy.

Then review as mentioned in my post above to give you some HDD space back until you sort out a new HDD and what you need to do to keep her running.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to bjf123
chkdsk /f followed by a defrag.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to bjf123
said by bjf123:

XP Home will almost certainly reinstall without having any problems reactivating if all you change is a new hard drive.

Likewise for MS Office.

If the key codes from Belarc are incorrect, try Speccy. If that doesn't yield a correct key code, still purchase a large hard drive and clone your existing install to it and then clean up your system. That's what I'd try.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

Licence keys are best sourced with a tool like MagicJellyBean

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
Norwegian is correct.

Speccy reads keys on later operating systems, but may not on XP.

Magical JellyBean reads keys on XP and likely also does so on later OSes.

»www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

==========================================

Another solution is to buy a second hard drive. Keep XP on the present hard drive and move every thing else that is movable to second "data" drive.

That may free up the space you need without having to reinstall XP onto a new drive.

Micha3615

join:2004-08-21
Mississauga, ON
reply to bjf123
I've been using »www.belarc.com/free_download.html for years now and have found that it's much better.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
said by Micha3615:

I've been using »www.belarc.com/free_download.html for years now and have found that it's much better.

That's what I used previously, but when I tried entering the XP Home and Office keys it showed when the system died and I had to build a new one, the keys wouldn't work.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to bjf123
What files did you compress?

Compressing things that you rarely if ever used = reasonable idea.

Compressing things that you actually use = greater overhead when accessing them = almost certainly takes longer.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
Selecting which files to compress wasn't an option, so I don't really know.

Gem
Premium
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Micha3615
said by Micha3615:

Much better than what, for what, and in what respect?

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to bjf123
That would depend on the hardware, you may need to set IDE parameters and / or even load IDE / SATA drivers at F6 for the Windows install.
It may mean failure of hardware as well.

A minimum would need the specs for the motherboard or a link to it's specs so drivers can be checked as well as bios settings to eliminate this before suggesting bad hardware, usually just defining IDE / SATA settings and drivers is the easy fix to a good computer.
--

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH
Is there an easy way to check what motherboard? Open the case and take a look?

norwegian
Premium
Outback
Opening it will show a line of large numbers either near the RAM slots or near the PCI/ex slots, or use a tool such as Speccy:
»www.piriform.com/speccy/download

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to bjf123

(topic move) [XPHome] System Slowdown

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[XPHome] Stop 0x0000007B During XP Setup