share rss forum feed

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to mariod

Re: Comcast HD Positioning

Do some people read entire posts before replying?

You don't touch the SD boxes or DTA's.

1. You create a new hub id.
2. You duplicate the current channel map to the new hub id.
3. You modify the new hub ID channel map. Prioritizing HD (Ch 1-999). You add links to SD (Ch 1000+). This is solely for people wanting to set series recordings on SD, or if there is an HD feed problem. Otherwise SD could be extinct for all I care.
4. You run a report to gather all HD compatible equipment M/GI #'s into CSV format.
5. You run a script on the DAC with that CSV format used as input to change them to the new hub id.

There. ONLY HD compatible set tops are switched to the new Hub ID which has the channel map prioritising HD.

You leave the SD equipment and DTA's alone.

Its called device filtering and its available on Motorola DAC version 4.0 and later.

mariod

join:2009-06-16
Why should they waste the money and effort and further complicate things for people who are too oblivious and/or lazy to care.

Comcast isn't there to hold your hand while you watch tv.

And people will get confused when they push "5" on the remote and the tv says "Channel 804". Then they'll go back to their bedroom or kitchen and press "804" and get a blank screen. Comcast is rightly trying to get to a Uniform National Channel Lineup and you want to create multiple channel lineups within the same household.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Not multiple lineups.

Lets say FOX is on channel 5 in your area.

If you have an HD box or DVR, you type in 5. Boom there's FOX in all its HD glory.

Go over to the Bedroom with a DTA or maybe even an old Moto DCT-2000 behemoth. Type in 5. Still FOX! But it so happens to be SD.

Works on DirecTV and Dish Network. Just a suggestion.

mariod

1 recommendation

So if they follow your recommendation, and someone puts "5" on the remote and tunes the channel, then presses "channel up" to change the channel, what channel will be on the tv?

And wouldn't this change what the guide data shows on two different TVs in the same home?

And wouldn't this screw up the channels that don't air the same HD and SD programming? (PBS does this semi-regularly)

Also, you still haven't solved for the fact that its a waste of resources for benefit of the lazy and/or indifferent.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
said by mariod:

So if they follow your recommendation, and someone puts "5" on the remote and tunes the channel, then presses "channel up" to change the channel, what channel will be on the tv?

6. And if 6 is in HD it will be seen in HD. If not, it will just be whatever channel 6 is in SD.

said by mariod:

And wouldn't this change what the guide data shows on two different TVs in the same home?

I don't see how the guide data would be different. I mean if American Idol is on FOX29, its still called American Idol if its the SD feed or the HD feed. If Deadliest Catch is on Discovery... its still called Deadliest Catch if its the HD feed or SD feed, etc..

said by mariod:

And wouldn't this screw up the channels that don't air the same HD and SD programming? (PBS does this semi-regularly)

I'm unaware of that because in my market the HD feed appears to be the same as the SD feed... just better quality. I took the default options "Hide SD duplicates" in the DirecTV guide settings. HD Only channels have their own number (Palladia, AXS, Velocity, etc.).

said by mariod:

Also, you still haven't solved for the fact that its a waste of resources for benefit of the lazy and/or indifferent.

You do have a point here. However people would just by default see the best possible picture quality. This makes the cable provider look good. They don't have to see why channel 3 looks so much clearer on DirecTV than the channel 3 that is on Comcast (or any other cable provider). Other cable providers do this. It's a feature of Passport 3.5 and later. Cox deployed it. In the guide settings you can turn off Auto HD if you don't like it. Time Warner Cable's latest navigator can do it also. Cablevision does it. Rogers in Canada does it. DirecTV does it.

I know, I know... if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you too? I understand your arguments, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying if its easy and simple to use, and everyone sees the best possible picture quality, it makes the service look good. Its a professional feature IMO. We can agree to disagree, no hard feelings.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
I gotta agree with cypher on this one. My family has an hdtv and I have 2 hdtvs if my fiancé put in 009 instead of 809 I immediately change it to 809. They could just get it to auto tune the hd channel. If other providers can do it why can't Comcast?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
said by mikedz4:

I gotta agree with cypher on this one. My family has an hdtv and I have 2 hdtvs if my fiancé put in 009 instead of 809 I immediately change it to 809. They could just get it to auto tune the hd channel. If other providers can do it why can't Comcast?

Iguide?

BigBearsFan

join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL
Comcast has the provision to watch in HD.You just push the ok button and it goes to the HD channel.It is a nice feature it's just not automatic like Cypher 's provider.

mariod

reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

said by mariod:

You do have a point here. However people would just by default see the best possible picture quality. This makes the cable provider look good.

But we're only talking about people who don't know the difference or don't care.

If they can't be motivated by picture quality to click "ok" to "watch in HD", its hard to believe they'd be motivated to switch cable service providers over it.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

They don't think it is worth the money to do so because it won't have an impact on revenues. The impact on revenue is the driving force behind virtually every decision made by Comcast and every other successful business.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to BigBearsFan
said by BigBearsFan:

Comcast has the provision to watch in HD.You just push the ok button and it goes to the HD channel.It is a nice feature it's just not automatic like Cypher 's provider.

Yes but marioD if Comcast bothered to make it work correctly then maybe I would agree with you. About 50% of the time the HD button never appears even for HD shows. All the time I notice the channels my family are watching like Judge Judy, and many bravo channel shows and tons others don't show the HD button. But when I switch to the HD channel manually they are in HD. So unless Comcast fixes that or does what cypher (which should be done if they want to win in the picture quality customer service surveys) says they need to do one or the other. EG: Right now in my area channel HGTV (61) I have on the SD version but there is no HD button. But when I manually turn to the HD channel version of HGTV (415) there it is in beautiful crystal clear HD! Just going up my channel list I found over 10 examples of this on just channels 1-100 and it's inexcusable. And this happens all the time.

Edit: And mariod they need to do something as they are ranked always one of the worst companies in America. So blocking Roku and Samsung HBO Go and inferior guide OS's are having an effect on their bottom line and consumer opinions.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
I'm assuming that your HGTV feeds are both east coast.

The SD feed here is west coast and the HD feed is the east coast feed (3hrs ahead). So I never get the 'Watch in HD' choice because it happened on the HD channel three hours ago. It seems that the moon and guide come into alignment tonight at 9PM and both feeds get into sync for a while both by show and episode. Until midnight then they are out of sync again. Have to remember to double check.

Also only about half the programs on HGTV-HD are labeled as being in HD in the guide.

There are a couple other SD-HD channel pairs that work kinda odd but not to any great distress. Most everything here works like it should, ie: the 'Watch in HD' button shows up for the matched pairs.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything