SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

2003 to 2008 R2 Server, best way?

We have a 2003 SP2 server running AD,DNS,DHCP..
I just built a 2008 R2 server to replace the 2003 server..

We have a primary 2008 R2 AD server already so the 2003 is a secondary right now, and the 2008 r2 server we are replaceing it would be a secondary as well.

What is the best way to get everything to the new server and shutdown the 2003 server..

Thanks

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

Promote it to a DC and that will take care of AD and DNS. Then you can export your DHCP config off of the 2003 server and import it into the 2008 R2. Authorize DHCP in AD on the 2008 R2 server and deauthorize/shutdown DHCP on the 2003 Server. Update your DHCP scope to replace the 2003 server with the new 2008 R2 in DNS. Demote the 2003 box, remove it from the domain, and shut it down.

Should be pretty straight forward.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Badger3k:

Promote it to a DC and that will take care of AD and DNS. Then you can export your DHCP config off of the 2003 server and import it into the 2008 R2. Authorize DHCP in AD on the 2008 R2 server and deauthorize/shutdown DHCP on the 2003 Server. Update your DHCP scope to replace the 2003 server with the new 2008 R2 in DNS. Demote the 2003 box, remove it from the domain, and shut it down.

Should be pretty straight forward.

I hope so.. Is there a how to anywhere? I googled but found a ton of stuff upgrading to 2008 r2 from 2003.

By the way, i installed DHCP and DNS already before the dcpromo

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

Installing DHCP and DNS before doing dcpromo is fine. You aren't upgrading from 2003 to 2008 R2 you are migrating. You want to just look for a typical promoting a server to a DC guide. Same goes for when you are ready to shutdown the 2003 server, look for demoting a server.

This looks like a pretty decent guide »markswinkels.nl/2009/01/ ··· ws-2008/ but some of the steps like transferring the FSMO roles probably isn't needed if this is a secondary DC.

dmas1er
join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Badger3k is bang on.

One thing I may suggest if you are unfamiliar with the process, is creating a Virtual lab and try it a couple times in your sand-boxed VM environment.... so you can make some notes on the process get comfortable.... etc.

Curious, - are you deploying your new server as a VM? What hardware did you go with?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
What I do for the setup of any new DC is the following

Join to the domain
install DNS
apply all windows updates
DCpromo
let it fully replicate before the reboot (being sure to add the GC role, unless its a large setup and its going to be the IM)

then after the DCpromo reboot is when I'd install DHCP (just to make sure the local accounts and such don't get used for anything)

Then you'll want to set a service account for the DHCP to run as (by default it uses the computer account but that's not going to work as a DC)

also set DHCP to delayed start. (so AD services will have a change to get going before DHCP tries to auth)

BTW if you don't know what the IM role is don't worry the matter of making sure the IM isn't a GC doesn't come into play till you have a multi-domain forest with many DC's.

Also make sure the 5 FSMO roles are moved off the old DC before demoting it.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Badger3k

Premium Member

to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

Installing DHCP and DNS before doing dcpromo is fine. You aren't upgrading from 2003 to 2008 R2 you are migrating. You want to just look for a typical promoting a server to a DC guide. Same goes for when you are ready to shutdown the 2003 server, look for demoting a server.

This looks like a pretty decent guide »markswinkels.nl/2009/01/ ··· ws-2008/ but some of the steps like transferring the FSMO roles probably isn't needed if this is a secondary DC.

As for FSMO roles they exists even in a single DC enviro, and it'd be best to manually move them than to Hope.

However in a single DC setup all 5 and GC will be on one server.
in a large setup you'd want to split them among 3 servers, (a secondary DC would not have any FSMO roles)

I'd split them as the following
DNM and SM
RM and PDCe
IM (ensuring its not a GC)

But on a 2 DC net I'd just make sure to move the roles to the main DC.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
I would stress to make sure you transfer the FSMO roles and make SURE to demote the old server via dcpromo - don't just get rid of it. Also, when you're sure everything is moved and working properly, remove it from the domain properly.

If not, you'll be haunted forever.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Exactly. Whenever it comes to messing with the underpinnings of a domain, I make sure that I've had my coffee. Check out this cautionary tale:

»scottledyard.wordpress.c ··· troller/

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Thanks everyone!

I thought if I am doing a secondary AD I don't need to do FSMO ?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

If you haven't yet moved the FSMO roles off the 2003 then you do.

in the post NT4 domain there really isn't a "secondary DC" just additional DC's that might or might not have FSMO roles

If you moved the FSMO roles off the 2003 server when you made the 2008R2 DC then you're good on that front, but I'd double check on all 5.