JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Keano4

Premium Member

to Keano4

Re: [HD] BeIN Sports - Coming this month

Well, that's not normal. Pixellating... stuttering... none of that is what you should be seeing. Sounds like you got a crappy tech. I've had both services too, and while DirecTV's HD is very nice, I think FiOS has always edged them out in PQ.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by JPL:

Well, that's not normal. Pixellating... stuttering... none of that is what you should be seeing. Sounds like you got a crappy tech. I've had both services too, and while DirecTV's HD is very nice, I think FiOS has always edged them out in PQ.

I'm a big FiOS supporter and am happy for the most part, but I do not think FiOS has superior PQ to Cox here.

The Comcast/NBC Universal stations are just plain awful on FiOS, they look great on Cox.

The odd thing is that here, the locals are great, but the nationals just don't look very good to me anymore, definitely not better than the competition.

Keano4
join:2012-03-14
South Grafton, MA

Keano4 to JPL

to JPL
said by JPL:

LOL...crappy tech? I think I had 4 different crappy techs come out to my house in the 5 months I had Verizon. Several of my friends had similar PQ issues. It wasn't just me.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

All I can say is that what you saw isn't normal. The fact that a tech told you that such crappy PQ is normal, to me, indicates a crappy tech. If your neighbors had the same issue, then the problem is likely due to a local issue. There was a thread, some time ago, where someone on here noticed something similar. The problem was the node that fed his neighborhood. Verizon fixed that issue, and all was good in that area.

As for a response to kes - I never said that FiOS had superior PQ to every provider. I think they have the best in this area, for sure. And yes, I think they're superior to DirecTV. To each his own.

Keano4
join:2012-03-14
South Grafton, MA

Keano4

said by JPL:

All I can say is that what you saw isn't normal. The fact that a tech told you that such crappy PQ is normal, to me, indicates a crappy tech. If your neighbors had the same issue, then the problem is likely due to a local issue. There was a thread, some time ago, where someone on here noticed something similar. The problem was the node that fed his neighborhood. Verizon fixed that issue, and all was good in that area.

Wow, your reading comprehension SUCKS. I said "techs" (plural) as in more then one. And I said "friends". A couple are neighbors but most live in other towns who were also experiencing the same PQ issues that I was dealing with.

I've never seen macroblocking on beIn. The channel has consistently been one of the best looking since Directv added it last August. You guys stuck with Verizon just can't ever win.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

4 edits

JPL

Premium Member

said by Keano4:

said by JPL:

Wow, your reading comprehension SUCKS. I said "techs" (plural) as in more then one. And I said "friends". A couple are neighbors but most live in other towns who were also experiencing the same PQ issues that I was dealing with.

I've never seen macroblocking on beIn. The channel has consistently been one of the best looking since Directv added it last August. You guys stuck with Verizon just can't ever win.

What is your issue? My comprehension is fine. You said 'techs'... I said 'tech'... so the hell what? You're getting hung up the fact that I used the singular and you used the plural? All of that changes exactly nothing. What the tech (or techs) told you was 100% flat out wrong. Ergo, the tech (or techs) who told you that were crappy. What difference does it make if you're talking about 1 tech or a dozen? Not sure why you got hung up on that fine hair, but whatever.

As for the friends seeing the same issue - you're right, I assumed neighbors. But NONE of that changes the fact that: WHAT YOU WERE SEEING IS NOT NORMAL! That was my point. The tech (or techs - gotta put this caveat in all over the place, I guess, since it seems to be an issue for you) that told you it was normal is/are crappy.

As for reading comprehension - read what I wrote about the PQ of BeIN. Why are you assuming that the Verizon feeds are to blame for the macroblocking that a couple viewers are seeing? Can't possibly be the equipment in customers' homes, right? Because, you're right, I've NEVER met a DirecTV customer who complains about random drop-outs... random blocking. Oh wait! I DO know folks like that. Does that mean that DirecTV's signal is bad? Of course not. There are myriads of reasons why those issues pop up - from bad dish alignment to faulty equipment. The fact that there are a number of folks on here saying that the BeIN PQ on FiOS is great tells you what? That Verizon's signal is to blame? Um, no.

Your assumption that Verizon's PQ sucks because a couple customers are seeing issues is... interesting. This is a new compression format for Verizon. Think DirecTV had no growing pains with getting to mpeg4? I used to hang out at some DirecTV forums, and the level of frustration by customers was palpable. But, absolutely - Verizon migrates to the same format, has a couple issue, and it's a case that Verizon can do nothing right.

Again, my comprehension is fine. Try reading my posts without reading stuff INTO them that you want to see.

Edit - one final point. What's this 'you guys stuck with Verizon' nonsense? Who is 'stuck' with any one provider? I CHOSE to come to Verizon. After having Comcast and DirecTV. No one is forcing anyone to go with any specific provider. You found PQ nirvana with DirecTV? That's awesome. But it's less than helpful to hang out on a FiOS forum, yelling 'naaa naaa naaa naaa... your service sucks!' Verizon's not perfect (not by a long shot), but all I can say is - from my perspective, the service is rock solid. I have virtually no issues with my service (their billing/ordering systems... ok, that's another matter). I have no issue with someone switching to any provider that they want. Nor do I have issues with a former customer hanging out on a forum for a service that they no longer subscribe to. But the barrage of negativity, sorry, serves no purpose.