spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RipTides
join:2002-05-25
Dallas, GA

RipTides

Monument Sign for Sub

Moved into an older home in older sub, house we have is the lot when you turn into the sub. In the front corner of the yard are two stout brick pillars where the signage used to be for the sub. All that's left are the brick pillars.

The brick, is aged and ugly, and I was thinking about stuccoing over the brick for cheap. Also was looking into getting a new sign.

Already talked to some neighbors and there's been interest in the past about pooling money for a new sign, but with the measurements I took and looking around at local places a quality basic one sided sign is in the $4-5k range. Ouch.

Anyone have any other optional ideas on this as it's an eyesore being naked in the yard?

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Can you provide a picture of of what you have now? It's certainly a lot easier to give you ideas, if we see what you have.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

Can you provide a picture of of what you have now? It's certainly a lot easier to give you ideas, if we see what you have.

I know what the OP is talking about, no pics needed.

Around here, most have just torn them down, if they are unsafe and on your property.

The only problem I can see, is maintaining a fund, for upkeep and replacement. Is there a HOA in place, or are the neighbors willing to give X amount per month, for this signage, and any landscaping that would be placed around it to make the neighborhood more appealing to live there, but less to keep the crooks out.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
Pressure-washing the brick might make it look like a million bucks, figuratively speaking.

My HOA does very little (and therefore has very low dues - $20/year). One thing they do is cover the upkeep of two similar signs at each point of entry into the development. Every year they pressure-wash the brick portion and they refinish the painted wooden sign as-needed.

RipTides
Dallas, GA

RipTides to Msradell

to Msradell
Click for full size
Click for full size
No HOA, maybe all of 30 houses in this subdivision.
Hoping for $xxx per house wouldn't work as I found out it had already been discussed with previous homeowner who lived here and not many takers.

Was actually thinking a piece of fencing, and some wood cut lettering nailed up and all painted neutral might be the rock-bottom cheapest solution.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Looks like you are only missing a few bricks. Find some which are a close match and repair the pillars. Then do something cheap for a sign. One thing to look at is the top of the pillars. They may need some repair so that water doesn't leak down and then cause more damage with freezing weather. I would not consider plastering that nice brick as an easy option.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
If some people are not willing to contribute, why keep it? Knock them down and reclaim your yard.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Might not be his to reclaim.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

OldCableGuy to robbin

Anon

to robbin
I must be missing something, why would you want to have a sign in your yard? Are they paying you to advertise this? I'd throw a post on Craigslist, free bricks you remove, and then once they're gone I'd break up whatever they're mounted in and then seed and grow grass there. Now if the HOA wants to pay you to keep the sign a monthly fee, I'd be more open to the idea. But it seems pretty clear they're not willing to chip in to repair the sign, so why invest your own money? Not to mention you are possibly opening yourself up to the obligation to maintain the sign down the road.

RipTides
Dallas, GA

RipTides

No HOA, for an actual made sign I'd be looking to ask everyone to chip in about $200 plus.

But my thought is this. There is a hydrant and water utility feed right near where the sign is, (I worked magic by not catching it in the pics) on top of that, I'd rather have the sign as a buffer between the house and road as cars pulling in at night tend to spotlight the house.

So with a new sign up, and proper landscaping that I'd like to do by adding trees out side the signs it would mean less crap I have to deal with since my riding mower already can't go over the water utility caps without the blade hitting. And it would take the focal point off the house when you turn in since everyone turning in looks right into my living room and I don't want to live in a cave with mega thick curtains/blinds on the front of my house.

So sure the lazy way would be knocking them down and removing them but I'd rather go with the nicer looking option. Since if I didn't want a yard to maintenance I'd live in a townhome/apt complex.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

I lived for four years in a small subdivision between Hiram and Douglasville. If people a few miles away in Dallas are the same, you'll never get everyone to chip in for the cost. Heck I'd be surprised if you get more than a few willing to do it. Some nice landscaping shrubs and trees could provide you the same privacy, and it wouldn't be taking the easy way out.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
The brick isn't too bad, it appears that only one of the pillars needs some work, a couple of bricks and some repointing. If you like the look, consider turning into an arbour and surrounding it with a flower bed.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to RipTides

to RipTides
For me, the first question before considering alternatives would be to make sure that the pillars are on your property. If they are, then a search of your property docs for easements, etc, would be next.

One might think of them as an attractive nuisance, especially if one were an attorney representing someone in some way injured by the pillars.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
Looks like some nice brick for that grill you always wanted to build.

RipTides
Dallas, GA

RipTides

I thought about the liability issue. There have been cases here in GA where decorative pillars at the end of a driveway have had to be moved back because of liability concerns, but usually only when they're on a main roadway, the road we're off of is fortunately an off-off-off main road, very little traffic, other than what comes into this sub and the one across from ours.

I think I'm leaning towards 3 pieces of sectional wood fencing. One between the pillars and one on each end swept back. It will end up being a faux sign, but copying the entrance sign across from this one that has some small bushes and such. I'll remove the grass weeds in that area and make a half moon flower bed thing with some dogwoods capping the ends away from the water utility service.

Oh and I should mention I did find the missing brick under the bushes in front of the house.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to RipTides

to RipTides
$200 is a bit steep for a non-HOA house to contribute. If you really want this to work, I suggest the following:

1. Get firm estimates of the costs.

2. Write a letter to your neighbors explaining your motivation, how it will help them (makes street attractive, helps curb appeal, etc.) Include the cost per household in the letter and an ETA on build. Explain that minor, ongoing maintenance will be your responsibility since it is on your property (right?). Explain you have no plans to move for X years or even longer. After all, why should they contribute if the next owner simply tears down the sign?

3. Follow-up in person to see if households will contribute. Thank them if yes; thank them anyway if no. Consider accepting payment in chunks of $25-50 if that will help. Address any concerns here. Emphasize all the money will go to the sign. Any excess will be returned to the homeowners.

4. When you are ready to proceed, send another letter updating the street on the plan. Most importantly, list the house number and name of the people that did contribute and thank them. State that if anyone else wishes to contribute they may still do so.

Then say you are hosting a get together or party at your place (near the sign!) for the people that contributed on a certain date. Say you will provide whatever you are willing to provide, but say they can bring alcohol/side dish/chips/etc if they wish.

If this works and you get more contributors before the party, send out an updated letter with all the old and new contributors.

You are not going to get 100% participation, but this will help you reach your goal.

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

StillLearn to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
Suppose you painted some MDF, and used formed plastic letters?

»www.buysignletters.com/s ··· ters.asp
»www.geminisignletters.co ··· stic.php
»aztec-signs.biz/aztec-si ··· stic.php

Instead of a solid background, maybe you could use some pressure treated 2x4s or some fencing panel to hold the letters.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Painted MDF exposed to the elements?

Unless it is painted with liquid magic, you are going to have a mess after 1 year.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

MDO is what needs to be used, not MDF.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me ··· ay_panel

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
I think (like some others on this thread) that you need to find out if the pillars are actually on your property. If they are, what kind of easement is in place that allowed them to be placed there.
While they are very near your house, this may not be your decision to make.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

said by Thespis:

I think (like some others on this thread) that you need to find out if the pillars are actually on your property. If they are, what kind of easement is in place that allowed them to be placed there.

As the OP stated, no one is doing anything to make the appeal better, so why not take action to fix up the entrance to the subdivision.

I also agree with the others, either take them down and put up new signage, but also have a gathering or "Barn raising" party, to get everyone that you can on board to make the neighborhood more appealing to those wishing to move in there, and also help with the way of life of those that are already settled there.

RipTides
Dallas, GA

RipTides to Thespis

to Thespis
said by Thespis:

Got the land survey here from the house purchase. The pillars are ON my side of the easement line on my property, in fact the pillars delineate the start of my property from the roadway easement. So in the end I don't think removal is at all possible without having some type of new surveying and pins set. BTW this was the last house built in this sub-divide and the signage was there before the sub was even started so this house was built in 95, the pillars have been in place since 92.

morbo

morbo

What are you going to do?

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to RipTides

Premium Member

to RipTides
I'm not sure what this will cost but you can get some wrought iron (either free standing or attached to the pillars) if possible and a simple oval shaped sign welded in the middle like this »www.theheckcompany.com/s ··· n-signs/ You might could strike a deal with a local metal fabrication shop.
Then lay down some weed block fabric around the signage, to mitigate the growth of the grass or weeds in the planting area, install some shrubs that's indigenous to the area and resilient in nature then cover the fabric with pine straw or mulch. Install some solar spotlights if you want to splurge or if you think they won't be lifted by the neighborhood kids.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to RipTides

Mod

to RipTides
said by RipTides:

I think I'm leaning towards 3 pieces of sectional wood fencing. One between the pillars and one on each end swept back. It will end up being a faux sign, but copying the entrance sign across from this one that has some small bushes and such. I'll remove the grass weeds in that area and make a half moon flower bed thing with some dogwoods capping the ends away from the water utility service.

Doing this will also help block headlights from cars at night and add a little bit of privacy.

RipTides
Dallas, GA

RipTides to natedj

to natedj
said by natedj:

Then lay down some weed block fabric around the signage, to mitigate the growth of the grass or weeds in the planting area, install some shrubs that's indigenous to the area and resilient in nature then cover the fabric with pine straw or mulch. Install some solar spotlights if you want to splurge or if you think they won't be lifted by the neighborhood kids.

Think I'm settling on going with some pre-fab wooden fence pieces from the big box stores, and do everything else you mentioned, I've even gone back and forth about the "solar lights" and "neighborhood kids" thing.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj

Premium Member

The reason I mentioned wrought iron in lieu of wood was because of longevity and maintenance, but in the end the budget has the last say.

morbo

morbo to RipTides

to RipTides
Did you decide if you are covering all the costs yourself or are you asking for money from neighbors?

RipTides
Dallas, GA

RipTides

said by morbo:

Did you decide if you are covering all the costs yourself or are you asking for money from neighbors?

For doing what I plan, I'll just fund it myself, that way my opinion will be the only one I have to listen to when it comes to getting it done. I plan on making it cheap, cleaning and fixing the pillars, putting some stain on the fence pieces, and making the yard look nice. Won't be to bad expensive and the results will be better than what's there currently.