»Updated Java tomorrow (4/16/2013)..

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
Thanks angussf See Profile. I've been checking their main page and that still shows 7u19.

Interestingly a browser page is opened at the end of the installation requesting that one check their Java version. This occurs even if you don't have Java enabled in your browser(s).

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp to angussf

MVM

to angussf
Thank you angussf See Profile
DrDemento
join:2005-07-25
Brick, NJ

DrDemento to angussf

to angussf
Just got the update through the update website. Removed older version first. All went smoothly so far.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
Thanks angussf See Profile.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
thanks

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
Some more info on 7u21

Java 7 Update 21 is available - Watch for Behaviour Changes !
quote:
So why isn't this a normal one-liner with a pointer off to the readme? Because Oracle has significantly changed how Java runs with this version. Java now requires code signing, and will pop up brightly coloured dialogue boxes if your code is not signed. They now alert on unsigned, signed-but-expired and self-signed certificates.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
Click for full size
It would be nice if it wasn't still so confusing for IE 10. I did the update and Java page says I have the new version installed for IE but IE itself says the installed version is from March. My Java panel in Control Panel has no "About" tab because I have the64 bit version installed as well 32 bit for Fx and Opera.

I installed the OFFLINE 64 bit version so why doesn't IE confirm that? Win Patrol notified me of the new version. Idid close and then reopen IE after the installation. Do I have reboot for IE to show the new version in Addons panel?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

My Java panel in Control Panel has no "About" tab because I have the64 bit version installed...

What happens if you run the 64-bit Java Control Panel applet manually (as Admin)?

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe"

I get an About button in that. Doesn't say its the x64 bit version though.

PS: I have the 32-bit version installed also. In that case the CP applet is

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe"

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
Thanks.
More reading:
April 2013 Critical Patch Update for Java SE Released
By Eric P. Maurice on Apr 16, 2013
quote:
Oracle today released two Critical Patch Updates: the April 2013 Critical Patch Update and the April 2013 Critical Patch Update for Java SE. The previous blog entry provided a summary of the April 2013 Critical Patch Update, and this entry will discuss the content of the Critical Patch Update for Java SE.

The April 2013 Critical Patch Update for Java SE provides 42 new security fixes. 39 of the vulnerabilities fixed in this Critical Patch Update are remotely exploitable without authentication. The maximum CVSS Base Score for these vulnerabilities is 10.0, and this score affect 19 different vulnerabilities.

Out of the 42 vulnerabilities, only 2 can affect server deployments of Java. Server exploitation can only occur as a result of these bugs when malicious data is supplied into specific APIs on the server (e.g., through a web service), and one of these bugs actually require local access to be exploited.

As usual, Oracle recommends that this Critical Patch Update be applied as soon as possible. Desktop users can install this new version from java.com or through the Java Autoupdate.

For More Information:
The advisory for the April 2013 Critical Patch Update for Java SE is located at »www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· 497.html

sludgehound
join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

sludgehound to angussf

to angussf
Thanks. Turns out I had just 17 after first install run on Win 8 x64 Pro in desktop mode. Verify said run it again, newer version available, and that got 21 finally after let installer shut IE 10. Be sure to uncheck the install Ask.com toolbar search thing default.
Maybe main one Java dependent program will run smoother now.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan to angussf

MVM

to angussf
Thanks. Decided to go with internal update. Had to uncheck the ask.com toolbar and kind offer to change my default search to ask.com.

After "updating" the update tab showed I still had the old version and offered to install the new one again. Decided to reboot. After boot, got an option to download an "installer." Downloaded the installer and updated the program. Took a very long time to install this way.

Not really recommended. Better to get the full installer directly IMO.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I have the OLD version of 64 bit Java. No wonder IE is reporting the old version.

I installed the big offline one that was supposed to be for 32 and 64 bit. I get really confused every month about this!

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

No. There are different offline installers for x86 and x64. You have to download/install both.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

But I am sent to the 32bit download link when I click on the 64bit link on java.com. This has been happening for several months. I don't want to get it from where you are getting it. I want to download from java.com. I cannot download from the link you use because I get an error regarding the Binary Code License agreement so I need to be able to get it off java.com and it is NOT there. (I now recall the specifics of the problem. I think in the past I fiinally got it at java.com as I don't recall ever getting the error about Binary Code License agreement fixed).
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I installed the big offline one that was supposed to be for 32 and 64 bit. I get really confused every month about this!

mele, i am wondering about that too.. someone just said that you have to install both the 32 bit version of java and the 64 bit version, as well..

how do you know which version you are suppose to install? it is confusing to me when i hear about running a 32 bit version of IE with a 64 bit version of windows..

the other day, i was telling someone that they should update java, but i didn't know if i should tell them to install a 32 bit version of java or a 64 bit version of java, so i just said "get the update from java.com"..

regarding problems with downloading java, i tried testing that myself.. the first time that i tried, i had some issues with downloading java but i kept screwing around with things and i finally got it to download.. however, the second time i tried, i wasn't able to download the file..

it kind of sucks that oracle is somehow making it virtually impossible to download "java" from the oracle website..

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by redwolfe_98:

someone just said that you have to install both the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version..

Yeah me two post above

how do you know which version you are suppose to install?

Depends on which browser(s) you use.

64-bit versions of Windows come with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE. If one wants to use Java in both you need both versions of Java.

Most other browsers are 32-bit so you can live without the 64-bit version of Java if you don't use a 64-bit browser.
StuartMW

StuartMW to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

it kind of sucks that oracle is somehow making it virtually impossible to download "java" from the oracle website..

I've never had an issue. Probably is if you block everything (JavaScript etc).
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

said by redwolfe_98:

I've never had an issue. Probably is if you block everything (JavaScript etc).

thanks stuart.. i tried downloading the "offline" version of java, again, just now, and i was able to download it without any problems.. i am not sure what the problem was, before, when i tried downloading the files, but there is no problem with downloading the files, now..
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
No, I don't block javascript and I tried on Fx and Opera to download the one that wouldn't let me agree to the Binary Code license. On Opera I have a direct connection to the Internet (no Proxo to possibly interfere).

I cannot currently download Breadcrumb Killer »twigstechtips.blogspot.c ··· rer.html

on ANY browser including IE. Earlier, I could not download it on Fx, Opera, or Sea Monkey but was able to do so on IE 10. Now, even IE can't download it. Yet my friend who posted the link to it, can download it on the same version of Fx that I use.

I get refused a lot on any downloads on all browsers and I have no idea why. I certainly haven't tweaked IE that might affect downloads. Anyhow, late here...tomorrow I will look for last month's thread here about Java download and see how I eventually got it...I hate getting older and not remembering exactly how I finally got it...maybe I was finally able to do what you were finally able to do just now to get it....but I can''t recall. I should not have these problems every month! The darn 64bit version should be on java.com! What's wrong with Oracle? Most users use Java.com to download so it needs to be there.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

...I hate getting older and not remembering...

Yup. I have become my parents

. o O (Where did I put my glasses? My keys? My wallet?)
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Today, I was able to download the one where I have to agree to the Binary Code license. Why today but not yesterday?

Why did I have to reboot after the 64bit install of Java? I didn't have to for the 32bit.

Anyhow, now IE 10 shows the latest Java. Finally.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Mele20:

...I hate getting older and not remembering...

Yup. I have become my parents

. o O (Where did I put my glasses? My keys? My wallet?)

What's my password? :P

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by antdude:

What's my password? :P

Dunno but I bet "ant" is in it
StuartMW

StuartMW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Why did I have to reboot after the 64bit install of Java?

Pretty sure I've never had to reboot after installing any version of Java. Might be a Win8/IE10 thing.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there are problems with the java site?

I have been trying to update Java and I get error ie8 can't display the page for the download page, Firefox gets the installation file is corrupt and the Java panel in the Control Panel gives an error that the Java update failed to download installation files.

I can get on some of the Java site pages, but for the download page it lists it as being down for everyone when I checked it.

Just before trying to update Java, I disabled SSDP because my icons were disappearing from the system tray. But, I don't think that should cause any problems. I also ran scans with MSE, SAS and MBAM. Everything was good.

Thanks.

Jackorama

PS: I mostly need Java because my blood glucose meter needs it to run it's program.
Jackorama

2 edits

1 recommendation

Jackorama

Premium Member

Hi,

After more searching and seeing others having the same problem, I found by going to the Oracle Java SE Critical Patch Update site

»www.oracle.com/technetwo ··· tchTable

It linked me to the site and I was able to download Java 7 update 21. I just can't find the Java control panel. I may have to reboot first.

I hope this may help some of you that are having problems downloading the update. You are not alone it seems that there are many with the same problem. There seems to be something wrong with the Java website. Can't find any info on what it might be, just a lot of speculations at this time.

Jackorama

Edit: PS: If your Java control panel has dissapeared, like mine, goto "Start" then click "Run" and type javaws -viewer

It will bring up the Java control panel.

Another Edit: Go into your "My Computer" "Local Disk" then "Program files", find "Java", open Java file then open the bin file. Find javacpl.cpl, right click and copy. Goto "My Computer" "Local Disk" then open "Windows" then open "System 32" then paste javacpl.cpl. Open your control panel and the Java control panel will be there.

Just posting this for some of us who didn't know about these, as I just learned about them today myself.