Search similar:

uniqs

FF4m3
@rr.com

FF4m3

Anon

$99 - 90 GFLOPS Linux Supercomputer!

Parallella: The $99 Linux supercomputer:

Chip-company Adapteva announced on April 15th at the Linux Collaboration Summit in San Francisco, California, that they've built their first Parallella parallel-processing board for Linux supercomputing, and that they'll be sending them to their 6,300 Kickstarter supporters and other customers by this summer.

What Adapteva has done is create a credit-card sized parallel-processing board. This comes with a dual-core ARM A9 processor and a 64-core Epiphany Multicore Accelerator chip, along with 1GB of RAM, a microSD card, two USB 2.0 ports, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, and an HDMI connection. If all goes well, by itself, this board should deliver about 90 GFLOPS of performance, or — in terms PC users understand — about the same horse-power as a 45GHz CPU.

This board will use Ubuntu Linux 12.04 for its operating system. To put all this to work, the platform reference design and drivers are now available.

The project required, and got, the support of other hardware OEMs, including Xilinx, Analog Devices, Intersil, Micron, Microchip, and Samtec. The companies have enabled Adapteva to bring its first per-production boards to San Francisco, and soon, to its eager programmer customers.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Did they change the build? The 16 core version was going to be $99, the 64 core version was $200.

MSHA
@windstream.net

MSHA

Anon

Wonder what this will do to the bitcoin economy...

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

Maxo to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
I saw this today. While standard PCs and laptops seem to be stagnating in terms of Moore's law, the computing power of small and cheap devices seems to be an exciting arena. I have a Pandaboard and Raspberry Pi sitting on a coffee table right next to my computer desk, but I don't find either are good enough for every day computing. Perhaps this will be the first small and cheap computer to be useful for day-to-day computing.

FF4m3
@rr.com

FF4m3 to FF4m3

Anon

to FF4m3
More background:

A Closer Look at Parallella
Expand your moderator at work