share rss forum feed

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

Millenicom 3G/4G Hotspot ... a couple of observations

I've been experimenting with all the available setting with this device via the configuration page. I've observed (at my location), with the WWAN Preferred mode set to "Global" , (so both 3G/4G is available)...
if IPv6 is enabled.. I lose the LTE signal and it reverts to 3G.

I suggest you disable IPv6 in your settings if it is enabled ... Network>LAN> uncheck it.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

murfeez_law

join:2013-03-29
Mine makes no difference however I too have a strange finding on my end. While plugged into the charger it's much slower than while on battery power.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
yeah, I noticed that too. Odd that it is faster on battery power
--

murfeez_law

My thoughts as well seems that if anything it would be faster while the juice is pouring on. However, I have also noticed that if the battery seems to be giving issues with charge or looking as if it's charging while plugged in then loses upon disconnect, you can use a cell charger that fits the USB micro port and it works wonders.

I think the charger may lose it's power after a while of use or maybe the slide in feature is not maintaining connection.

ctasich

join:2012-12-17
Clermont, GA

1 edit
reply to Jim_in_VA
Edit: Not applicable. I thought this was in reference to the Sierra Tri-fi. I didn't realize Millenicom had another 3G/4G hotspot. Disregard below.

I just posted this response in another thread. This seems like a more appropriate place though.

I have been experiencing a few odd quirks. I use the device for my home network. I usually have 2-3 devices connected at a time. From time to time though, my computer will drop to a "limited" connection. It doesn't seem to fix itself until I restart the device. I do notice that it coincides with high usage times. I'm wondering if that happens when the modem overheats? Any thoughts?

Also, I have the modem plugged in and the battery removed, so as not to constantly be charging the battery since it's always plugged in. Does anyone seem something wrong with this setup?

jim4g

join:2013-04-25
reply to Jim_in_VA
Can I just pull the SIM and use it in my UML290?

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
yes, you can do that - might need a sim adapter though
--

jim4g

join:2013-04-25
Ah, so I assume it uses the new microsim... Anyhow I currently have quite an investment in my cradlepoint and antenna setup which is working well. Basicly I'm looking for the Verzion network and as many GB per month as I can get for cheap.

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA
Don't know of any other Verizon MVNO other than Millenicom that gives you 20GB a month ... go for it
--

murfeez_law

reply to ctasich
I'm curious to know what the battery icon shows for the strength since it's not inserted or if it shows at all.

Also, do you have multiple devices staying constantly connected while it's plugged in to the computer this way?

It just seems that since the charging method via the USB port is a slower process that it may have some effect on the device.

Thanks