spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

guaranteed bandwidth.

So, basically you can guarantee 1 gbps at any given time to two 1gig Ethernet ports (2 desktops at full speed, all the time!)

next step after this is obviously 10 gigs... hopefully by then desktops actually ship with 10gig Ethernet.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

makes me wonder with the fastest bus speed in a typical computer is.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

1 recommendation

InvalidError to Kamus

to Kamus
said by Kamus:

So, basically you can guarantee 1 gbps at any given time to two 1gig Ethernet ports (2 desktops at full speed, all the time!)

It isn't guaranteed. The deployment uses GPON which means the 2.488/1.244Gbps feed gets split between 8 or more subscribers. The OLT at the other end likely has something like 10:1 oversubscription so you are not likely to get more than maybe 300Mbps during peak hours.

Outside North America, it is quite common for networks to operate under congested regime during peak hours. Running networks that way is much cheaper than trying to stay ahead of instantaneous peak load.

CAST SUCKS
@comcastbusiness.net

CAST SUCKS to ArrayList

Anon

to ArrayList
pci-e gen 3 X16 slot?

QPI?

HTX?
InvalidError

InvalidError to ArrayList

to ArrayList
PCIe 3.0 is 8Gbps per lane each way. On a x16 GPU slot, that's 128Gbps both ways; enough to accommodate 100GbE. This slot is standard in most PCs using an i5-3xxx or i7-3xxx CPU.

Lower-end PCs using i5/i7-2xxx CPUs or Celeron/Pentium/i3 only have PCIe 2.x which limits their x16 bandwidth to 80Gbps.

USB3 can do up to 5Gbps, which is already more than twice as fast as this up-to-2Gbps service.

So, in terms of PC connectivity, 2Gbps is not particularly fast but it is twice as fast as the ubiquitous 1GbE NICs.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to InvalidError

to InvalidError
ahmm it's pretty common here in the us also. Every end user commercial service works like this.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to InvalidError

to InvalidError
What BosstonesOwn said as well as 300Mbps during peak time kicks the everloving crap out of your best case scenario on everything but the fastest muni or google FTTH installs.
InvalidError

1 recommendation

InvalidError

said by intok:

What BosstonesOwn said as well as 300Mbps during peak time kicks the everloving crap out of your best case scenario on everything but the fastest muni or google FTTH installs.

300Mbps was an optimistic figure considering only the first two aggregation layers.

If you look at other high-speed low-cost providers like HKBN's 1Gbps for ~$35/month, peak-hour speeds to sites/services outside HKBN's own network drop to 30-70Mbps... and even within their own network, speeds do not seem to exceed 300Mbps very often. Of course, still beats the pants off anything we can get for $35/month here.

As for Google Fiber, there aren't enough people on it to draw conclusions yet but my hunch is it will turn out somewhat like HKBN if they roll it out to enough people for it to make a dent in Google's existing bandwidth pool.