join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

T-Mobile + GrooVe IP + Google Voice + HSPA = Fail

So for the sake of my techie mind wanting to try it anyway despite all the warnings, I picked up a T-Mobile $30 prepaid SIM that comes with 5GB of "4G" Internet, purchased GrooVe IP and tried tying all of this together with a Google Voice number I have registered.

At best, people could hear me clearly, but they could also hear themselves on their end.

I already knew this from using Talkatone, but I figured trying a different carrier and SIP application would help improve things... And I was wrong.

I'll welcome any suggestions for making this work if it can work at all. I do have 29 days remaining on the T-Mobile plan and GrooVe IP is already mine to keep. I'm well beyond Google's 15-minute window for a refund.

GrooVe IP's best performance came about enabling Adaptive Noise Canceling with Post Processing enabled, lowering the microphone volume to -7 dB, and the headset earpiece volume to -4 dB. And even then, the occasional echo was still heard.

Part of the problem is T-Mobile's disabling of pinging from my phone. Per pingtest.net, it is not pingable. And I understand in order for VoIP to work better, it needs that. But I'm a VoIP newbie after all.

josephf

join:2009-04-26

Where are you using the T-Mobile service? (Manhattan?) What HSPA+ speed are you getting? (I assume when you mention HSPA you are actually referring to HSPA+ rather than the older HSPA.)

Was your Talkatone usage on T-Mobile or another carrier?

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

I've been testing this all day from Brooklyn, but generally I use this phone where I live in the Bronx.

I use an HTC Sensation 4G. I'm assuming that's the older HSPA. The fastest I've ever seen it achieve is 6 Mb down and almost 2 Mb up.

I've used Talkatone via T-Mobile MVNO called Simple Mobile. I get the same echo via T-Mobile SIM or Simple Mobile SIM.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

Have you noticed a difference in quality between Brooklyn and the Bronx?

I'm wondering how much a higher connection speed over T-Mobile (i.e. true HSPA+ or LTE) would help in improving the quality with GrooVe IP.

Your quality results between GrooVe IP and Talkatone were comparable?

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

I will test it from the Bronx tonight and see how it fares. I don't foresee any difference. Other than varying speeds due to local congestion, latency and overall network response is generally the same.

What makes this unusable is the latency in my opinion. The best it can do is 85ms.

GrooVe IP has extra features to enhance call quality compared to Talkatone, but I'm only using free version of Talkatone so it might not be fair comparison. The remote party could hear me clearly on both apps. With Talkatone, remote party sounds grainy to me; GrooVe IP sounds closer to POTS quality.

josephf

You mean closer to POTS quality other than the fact that the other party hears an echo of themselves? Because if it is close to POTS quality you, presumably, wouldn't have rated it a "Fail".

Network Guy
Premium
New York

It sounded like POTS to me after tweaking the app, but I would find it aggravating to hear an echo of myself talking to someone.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

I'm well beyond Google's 15-minute window for a refund.

Not sure what you meant bye refund here. AFAIK, Google Voice is free.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

potato

join:2012-12-13

GrooVe IP is a paid app - Google allows 15 minutes to 'return' an app purchased through Google Play Store

Pinan
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA
kudos:1
reply to Network Guy

I used GrooVeIP for a long time, then switched to Spare Phone. For me, SP is much better with less lag and clearer calling. No echo either way, once mic and speaker volumes are set properly. I have worked with the Dev a bit on trouble shooting as well.

That said, I only make calls over wifi as calls over 3G are not good with VoIP, and iffy over 4G, and that's only if you're not driving (changing towers).

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

If you are using LTE (true 4G), should you have a quality problem with VoIP when jumping (moving) cell towers?

And how does the Android integration compare between Spare Phone, Talkatone and GrooVe IP? Android integration including integrated dialer/calls log/voicemail/etc. And if an incoming call is coming simultaneously on your VoIP app and on your native cell phone number, how is that situation handled?

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to josephf

said by josephf:

Have you noticed a difference in quality between Brooklyn and the Bronx?

Just tried from the Bronx. Same issue; echo on remote party.

josephf

T-Mobile LTE is coming to New York City in a few weeks. Perhaps that will alleviate any issues. (Assuming one has a LTE device.)

Pinan
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
Murrieta, CA
reply to josephf

The quality over 4G is pretty good. I have not used it many times, but when driving I have lost signal.

Spare Phone and GrooveIP integrate well with Android. I have not used Groove for some time now though, as I could not get it to work without major wakelocks in Jelly Bean (non-stock ROMs). SP is far better in that regard. Both integrate with the native dialer, and have their own as well. SP can also use the stock Contacts list. Not sure about Groove.

If a call comes in, both "phones" ring. You answer with whichever one you choose. I only use my GV number, so always answer with SP. This equals free calls.

SP sounds like a landline phone, at least over wifi.

josephf

Which carrier are you using it with, are you using it over LTE and have you completely stopped using any native cellular minutes from your carrier?

Pinan
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
Murrieta, CA

T-Mobile. I have the $30 mo prepaid package which includes 100 min. I rarely use any of them.

As I mentioned above, I rarely make calls over 4G/LTE. I at times receive them however.

One interesting thing to note: When I place calls over wifi/4G using GV and SP there is zero lag, but when my GV # is called there is often a 1-2sec lag or so. This is clearly a GV issue. I place more calls than I receive though so not an issue.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

1 edit

The 4G you've used is T-Mobile's HSPA+ or its LTE? And how is the 4G "iffy"? Was that only a reference to the 1-2 sec lag on incoming calls? Also, when you say "lag", do you mean that both parties to the (incoming) call have a delay before hearing what the other party said?

Can you have GV forward your incoming calls to both SP and your native cellular number, and all incoming calls will thus simultaneously ring both SP and the cell number so you can choose on a per-call basis whether to take your call over SP or over native cellular?

Pinan
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
Murrieta, CA

said by josephf:

1. The 4G you've used is T-Mobile's HSPA+ or its LTE? And how is the 4G "iffy"? Was that only a reference to the 1-2 sec lag on incoming calls? Also, when you say "lag", do you mean that both parties to the (incoming) call have a delay before hearing what the other party said?

2. Can you have GV forward your incoming calls to both SP and your native cellular number . . .

1. HSPA+ actually. Iffy means still get drops, break ups, etc. Lag on incoming calls is on incoming voice only. Outgoing is fine.

2. No. Since people only dial my (your) GV number, there is no way to answer a call in native cellular mode.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

You can set GV to forward all calls to your GV number to multiple destinations simultaneously. So you can setup GV to send all your calls to both SP and your T-Mobile cell number. If doing this, both SP and T-Mobile's number will ring simultaneously for every incoming call made to your GV number. My question is if your Android device will then show both incoming calls (which is essentially the same caller) and allow you to choose whether to pickup the call via SP or T-Mobile.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to Network Guy

Update....

I played with this some more today. Calls sound very good, both to me and remote party. Remote party still hears an echo but it's very faint, usually when remote party stops speaking.

As it turns out, the best setting in GrooVe IP so far is to NOT enable echo cancellation at all but instead enable audio processing only, which per the app it's supposed to help if voice sounds choppy or robotic or if it stutters.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, leaving all other settings having to do with call quality as default except for the setting I mentioned above.

I guess people's mileage will vary with local congestion, chosen carrier, and tolerance of what your VoIP calls ought to sound like given this configuration. So far today it's behaving better than yesterday.

Pinan
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
Murrieta, CA
reply to josephf

said by josephf:

1. You can set GV to forward all calls to your GV number to multiple destinations simultaneously. So you can setup GV to send all your calls to both SP and your T-Mobile cell number.

2.If doing this, both SP and T-Mobile's number will ring simultaneously for every incoming call made to your GV number. My question is if your Android device will then show both incoming calls (which is essentially the same caller) and allow you to choose whether to pickup the call via SP or T-Mobile.

1. Of course.

2. I answered that above. Both "phones" ring. You can answer whichever you choose. Both calls however are coming in over the GV #. The call will only be free if you answer with SP, or another VoIP app.

If that's not what you mean, I'm confused.

Network Guy
Premium
New York

Correct. The phone will act nuts while both phone apps receive the call though.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

3 edits
reply to Pinan

I don't understand what you were saying no to in your previous response:

said by Pinan:

said by josephf:

2. Can you have GV forward your incoming calls to both SP and your native cellular number . . .

2. No. Since people only dial my (your) GV number, there is no way to answer a call in native cellular mode.

But I think you have clarified now with:

said by Pinan:

2... Both "phones" ring. You can answer whichever you choose.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

Correct. The phone will act nuts while both phone apps receive the call though.

You are saying that you cannot (successfully) have both the VoIP app and the carriers native phone ring simultaneously? That seems to be disagreeing with Pinan's experience.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

The phone will "ring" both numbers at the same time, given that two separate callers call the VoIP and the carrier-assigned number at the same time. This is obviously not normal, and probably unintended behavior.

GV will forward incoming calls to the GV number to the carrier number, not ring both at the same time.

josephf

Reviews:
·VoicePulse

said by Network Guy:

The phone will "ring" both numbers at the same time, given that two separate callers call the VoIP and the carrier-assigned number at the same time. This is obviously not normal, and probably unintended behavior.

And you can pickup any one of your choice and ignore the other one?

GV will forward incoming calls to the GV number to the carrier number, not ring both at the same time.

Well, you can setup GV to only ring the VoIP app or you can setup GV to only ring the carrier number or you can setup GV to ring both the VoIP app and carrier number simultaneously.

Pinan
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
Murrieta, CA
reply to Network Guy

said by Network Guy:

1. The phone will "ring" both numbers at the same time, given that two separate callers call the VoIP and the carrier-assigned number at the same time. This is obviously not normal, and probably unintended behavior.

2. GV will forward incoming calls to the GV number to the carrier number, not ring both at the same time.

1. I was not speaking of two different callers, only one.

2. If ONE person calls my GV number, both the native phone app and SP (or Groove) do indeed ring at the same time. I can then choose to answer either one. Absolutely.

josephf

How does the native phone app and GrooVe/SP coexist on the screen simultaneously? They won't be fighting for screen space one app on top of the other? And how do you choose which app you wish to pick up the call with?

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to Pinan

said by Pinan:

2. If ONE person calls my GV number, both the native phone app and SP (or Groove) do indeed ring at the same time. I can then choose to answer either one. Absolutely.

Just checked GV again. Yes, you're correct. I never used it that way though.

Network Guy
Premium
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to josephf

said by josephf:

How does the native phone app and GrooVe/SP coexist on the screen simultaneously? They won't be fighting for screen space one app on top of the other? And how do you choose which app you wish to pick up the call with?

Just did it with my phone.

The app that receives the second incoming call pops up on the screen last, so that app technically "won".

Maybe he has a different setup that allows to choose which one to answer.