Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to clos000

Premium Member

to clos000

Re: Japan vs United States

Toyko has about 2.5 times the population of New York city, which is why a "large" 225 sq ft studio apt goes for $1500 a month. (parking, management fees, and key fees are among the extra$ ).
If you can find a room mate (hopefully someone you don't mind sleeping VERY close to) you might get a deluxe 450Sq ft with a window for $2700 and up.
San Francisco (in the city) has half the density and San Jose/Cupertino/ mountain view are practically uninhabited wildlands.
You CAN"T compare major city densities in first world asia to anywhere in the US.
IE Hong Kong (I know, a broadband mecca) has 10 times the density of LA

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Depends on where in Tokyo. 225sqft isn't 1500/mo anywhere I have seen and isn't typical.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Try googling apts for rent toyko top 4 links of relatively new (10 years or less) gave similar results.
Obviously locals or those with family connections might save some/find better spaces over these brokerage offerings, but as a comparison same search in NY and LA offer more space for similar prices.
Americans just don't know how much more private space we have as individuals compared to most other first world city dwellers.

And yes I have lived with my wife in a small 520 SQ FT apt way back when I was in school, and that's one reason I went for acreage when I bought my home.