uniqs
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to Cord Cutter

Premium Member

to Cord Cutter

Re: all I can say

There really isn't. This is a marketing gimmick. How many have the equipment to remotely get close to leveraging 2 Gbps?

tmh
@comcastbusiness.net

tmh

Anon

said by openbox9:

There really isn't. This is a marketing gimmick. How many have the equipment to remotely get close to leveraging 2 Gbps?

It depends on what their current access cost is. If they're already paying close to $50 for FIOS-type speeds, the question is: why not?

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to openbox9

MVM

to openbox9
When the prices of 10gigE interfaces come down to the consumer level, everyone would
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Ok, when that happens, then yes, people may be able to leverage the service if they buy new computers and networking gear. Doesn't change the fact that this is still a marketing gimmick because a vast majority of consumers that may have access to this 2/1 Gbps service won't get anywhere near its full potential.
openbox9

openbox9 to tmh

Premium Member

to tmh
How does that change the fact that offering 2/1 Gbps service is a marketing gimmick?

Bootes
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY

Bootes to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
Sure, but US ISPs are charging more for speeds that are below what your average consumer could use. At this point, I don't really care if my connection is 2gbps or 500mbps, but I would be ecstatic to have either at this price.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Ok. And I'd love to go back to the states where I have a lower cost of living, even if I have to "suffer" with my $60/mth 15/5 FiOS connection. Everything is a trade off.

Megadeth5150
Big in Japan
Premium Member
join:2004-12-31
Japan Inc.

Megadeth5150

Premium Member

Nobody is keeping you here against your will...
openbox9
Premium Member

1 recommendation

openbox9

Premium Member

Not that it was the point of this discussion, but I've got requirements to satisfy here and then I will likely be returning to the states. My point was that the grass tends to be greener on the other side of the fence. Unless you've stood on both sides, it's easy to whine about what the other side has that your side doesn't.

Megadeth5150
Big in Japan
Premium Member
join:2004-12-31
Japan Inc.

Megadeth5150

Premium Member

My bad, I misunderstood you there.
Expand your moderator at work
xexx
join:2004-09-03
Aledo, TX