uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to SimbaTLK1

to SimbaTLK1

Re: how?

said by SimbaTLK1:

Depending on the bond/team settings, that will only get you a max of 1Gbit per single stream.

That means that things like bittorrent could max out the 2Gbps, but something like an FTP transfer, or streaming a video, not so much.

You would to need to have a high end managed switch with several 10G ports on it and a smokin' fast router to be able to even use the connection with multiple PCs anywhere near maximum potential.

As far as I know this kind of equipment only exists in the datacenter (they don't have it at your local Best Buy). What are end users connecting these fast connections to?

Any link aggregation (802.3ad (LACP)) I would use would be able to consume more than 1Gbps of capacity for a single connection.

Not really. They could design CPE with multiple 1Gb ports and that would be pretty cheap (even at consumer grade cheap level) compared to 10Gb even at this point and even with copper 10Gb ports.

It isn't that big of a deal for the provider to provide CPE to deal with this. Computers with 1Gb ports have been common all over for years. Cheap web managed switches that support 802.3ad (LACP) have been available for years which the ISP could provide as an option.

Anyway, the CPE they provide has 3 1Gbps ports. It isn't intended for one particular device to utilize all 2Gb of capacity but really who would actually expect that? Anyone that would have such a connection would have a bunch of devices anyway.

SimbaTLK1
Rawrrr
join:2001-09-07
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

SimbaTLK1

said by 34764170:

Any link aggregation (802.3ad (LACP)) I would use would be able to consume more than 1Gbps of capacity for a single connection.

I'd like to see how you make LACP do that, because the maximum throughput of a single stream (a single file copy for example) through an LACP bond is throughput of a single link.

Only with 2+ streams can you take advantage of increased throughput.

»www.ieee802.org/3/hssg/p ··· 0407.pdf

Edit: Added information on 802.3ad for reference.