yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Ian1

to Ian1

Re: 2 Gbs Down/1 Gbs Up For $51 A Month

said by Ian1:

said by yyzlhr:

Also, it's not 2Gbps per home it's per customer segment which is likely 32-64 homes so the real world speeds that each individual customer gets will be on par with what you can get with Rogers and Bell right now.

Doubtful.

But in any case Rogers cable is subject to node congestion as well. The max rated speed is not what you get either if congestion occurs.

And the up speed is FAR faster than Rogers fastest. Even if all 64 on a node happened to be uploading at the same time for some unlikely reason.

If you split 2gbps amongst 32 users, that's only 64mbps on the downstream, which is something you can get with most cable providers in Canada. You are right about the upstream side though.

The only difference between this and other GPON deployments like FiOS is that they don't seem to set a speed policy on the router or ONTs so the speeds that the customer will get will vary wildly throughout the day. During peak hours most users will likely get speeds that are on par with the fastest speeds we can get here in Canada, while you'll get ridiculously fast speeds at like 5am.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

If you split 2gbps amongst 32 users, that's only 64mbps on the downstream, which is something you can get with most cable providers in Canada. You are right about the upstream side though.

If all 32 users max out there connection at the same time sure. Guess what speed you get with Rogers, if every person on the node is maxing out their connection?
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by Ian1:

said by yyzlhr:

If all 32 users max out there connection at the same time sure. Guess what speed you get with Rogers, if every person on the node is maxing out their connection?

I'm not disputing the fact that cable is susceptible to node congestion. My point is that we shouldn't read too much into this story. This company is deploying the same thing that Bell and Verizon are doing. The only thing that is different is that there are no speed policies set by the ISP on individual customers, which isn't necessarily a good thing either.

CFoo
join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

CFoo to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
Even if its 64Mbps, its still is only $51/month with a 7TB bandwidth. I wouldn't mind that.
Dcite
join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

Dcite

At that speed, if everyone goes nuts, they would have consumed all their usage in just 10 days.

If everyone goes nuts on a 45Mbit connection with a 250GB Cap.. If the node doesn't come to a crawl. They will consume all their usage in download alone in just a bit over 12 hours.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to CFoo

to CFoo
said by CFoo:

Even if its 64Mbps, its still is only $51/month with a 7TB bandwidth. I wouldn't mind that.

Low internet pricing is nothing new in Japan.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

This company is deploying the same thing that Bell and Verizon are doing. The only thing that is different is that there are no speed policies set by the ISP on individual customers, which isn't necessarily a good thing either.

Ya, they have not found some magic new technology but are delivering an advanced service for a really good price. Bell and Rogers are equally capable of making a similar splash if they chose but that would just raise expectations. Follow-up would be a bitch.

Without committing to specific service levels for streaming video and telephony the whole faster access is better mentality just doesn't register. With current internet infrastructure the value of faster access diminishes, for me, at about 25M - 50M down. Others may value higher access speeds but you gotta admit that sometimes it doesn't really give much for the extra cost.

Of course I don't think service commitments are possible without also compromising net neutrality. Maybe if the entire net starts operating at multi-terabit speeds we won't see endless jitter, stuttering, and buffering messages when streaming HD. The quality is sooo close but just off a little don't ya think? Making the access network scream but without service level agreements is like meh.

CFoo
join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

2 edits

CFoo to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by CFoo:

Low internet pricing is nothing new outside of Canada.

I think this is what you really meant