DanK101

join:2012-09-21
Safety Harbor, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Southeast] portforwarding vs QoS/TrafficPriorityRule/Protocl/Se

Any help please,
Gen3 I router; firmware 40.20.1

Can someone tell me if there is a difference from port-forwarding from the firewall menu or under advanced Quality of service: Edit Traffic Priority Rule/Protocol/ Server Ports.
Out of curiosity, I duplicated a port in QoS server port TCP 443 and got no warning of the duplicate already enabled in firewall port forwarding.

Thank you for any help,

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

Re: [Southeast] portforwarding vs QoS/TrafficPriorityRule/Protoc

Port forwarding and QOS are two different things.

Port forwarding allows an external port to be forwared to a machine on your internal network. A port is either forwarded or it's not.

QOS determines the relative priority of different types of traffic.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

DanK101

Safety Harbor, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DanK101
Thank you More Fiber,
Just to be sure where on the same page I’ve added screenshots. What benefit would I gain entering ports in the Quality of Service? Also would I put all TCP on inbound and all UDP outbound?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by DanK101:

What benefit would I gain entering ports in the Quality of Service? Also would I put all TCP on inbound and all UDP outbound?

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish, which you haven't stated.

What QOS policy are you trying to implement?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

DanK101

Safety Harbor, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DanK101
Sorry for the delay More Fiber,
i reset to default an opted to restart. I was under the impression QoS manged the way the router prioritizes shared internal IPs traffic in the router only. i was trying to prioritize ps3 over cable boxes an all other network devices. I'm trying to improve the PS3 BO2 horrible game play. i think I'll stay away from QoS for now unless you feel there could be a benefit.

I've opened another post on a port-forwarding concern i have:
»port-forwarding question

i also saw in "advanced filtering" has priority and protocol attributes for more added confusion for me.

i did read your other post which was helpful and probably should do it again; thank you:
»How to set simple QoS to prioritize all traffic to an IP?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
The most likely issue is your game server or the network that server is on is overloaded. The FIOS end of things is highly unlikely to be in anyway the cause of your game issues