Click for full size
Picture #3
Click for full size
Picture #4

Picture #5

Picture #6

Click for full size
Picture #7
I figured it was time to start a new thread on this issue, as the thread I was posting this in (at least to me) no longer felt like the same issue that Mele20 See Profile was having. So, instead of taking her thread on to much of a sidetrack, I felt a new thread was better.

So, onto my question.

The first picture is a screen shot showing the directory location of "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". This is of course where the "All Apps" part of Metro primarily gets its list of icons from to populate that screen. The other location is "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" (where xxx is your profile name). Take note of the folder name as it appears on the screen in the red box. It says Windows System .

Picture #2 shows the contents of that folder. Take note what the Window Title bar shows (red arrow). It does not call the folder Windows System ; rather, it says the folder name is System Tools. However, something in windows does think it is Windows System as the address line lists the path as such (green arrow).

Now, if I do click on the address bar, it does change to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools" as shown in Picture #3.

I then open a command window, and go to the following path: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". The screen shot in Picture #4 shows the directory listing at that location. The red arrow shows the folder name as System Tools. There is no folder at that location called Windows System.

I then go to investigate the actual folder itself. If I right-click on the folder, I get the window shown in Picture #5. Notice that the title bar, as well as the folder name (in red boxes) shows up as Windows System.

However, if I click on the sharing tab, the name of the share (if it was enabled) would be System Tools as indicated by the red arrow. Yet, the title of the window still says Windows System. This is Picture #6

Finally, I go look at the details of a shortcut in this location. This is what I'm showing the last picture, which is #7. The item in the green box is the shortcut that I have the property window open for, and its my shortcut to the Control Panel. If you look at the path that the shortcut is located it (red arrow, Control Panel Properties), you see the last part of it, and it clearly says the location is System Tools. The Red arrow pointing to the Windows Explorer Title Bar says the same thing, yet the Windows Explorer Address Bar shows Windows System.

So, my question is, what is going on? What is the actual folder name? Is it Windows System or System Tools? How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance,

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits

Re: [WIN8] "System Tools" Folder shows up as "Win

Some semi-relevant waffling from me is here.

The general feature is not peculiar to Windows 8. And I suppose nothing needs to be "fixed" because nothing is broken.

The answer to "what is its real name" is whatever "dir" tells you (but see ** below).

Explorer is not bound to display the true filename. The renaming mechanism is in a desktop.ini file in the directory in question.

dave (which may or may not be my real name)

(**)

Though files can have more than one "real name" - the name is really an entry in a file system directory, and there can be more than one name in a directory pointing to the same underlying file. (This is not 'junctions', this is just normal directory entries. All names are just links to files. No name is more real than any other).

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to plencnerb

Click for full size
Anyone can play.

Suppose I want a directory named 'silly' to be displayed in Explorer with a ridiculous name:

C:\temp>type silly\desktop.ini
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=totally ridiculous

The desktop.ini file needs system+hidden attributes and the containing folder needs (I think) the readonly attribute.

Note further than when the name is in 'breadcrumbs' format in Explorer, it will be 'totally ridiculous', but if you click in the Explorer address bar, you will see the true filesystem pathname 'C:\temp\silly'. This is because you probably want to cut'n'paste that pathname into some other program that doesn't understand Explorer shenanigans.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

Hmm. It's something new, comparing with XP. In XP you can change folder's icon and info tip, but, it seems, not its name... And may be for good, looking at how many questions it may cause, rather than solving problems
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

It solves problems for people that don't speak English.

Which I suspect means that its introduction coincided with the implementation of the multilingual UI integrated into base Windows: this happened on Vista. But that's just guessing.

psloss
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Lebanon, KS
reply to OZO

There's a few XP (or evolved XP) tweaks like the one that started this thread. For example the "Shared Folders" off of the XP version of %ALLUSERSPROFILE%; here's "Shared Documents":

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents>more desktop.ini
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-21785

So it goes back at least that far.

OZO
Premium

But that allows me to rename any folder to totally ridiculous name too :
1. Put in desktop.ini:
LocalizedResourceName=@shell32.dll,-35000
2. Add this value to registry:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LocalizedResourceName]
"@shell32.dll,-35000"="totally ridiculous"

So, even though it looks like XP doesn't support assigning direct strings as value for LocalizedResourceName, it takes any names from registry indirectly. Mission, to get the same folder's name as dave See Profile in W7, could be accomplished in XP too.

Hint: pick string numbers from 35000 and up to avoid any potential name collisions...
--

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to plencnerb

Ahh! Now I understand. :)

I went and modified my explorer view settings, and unchecked the box to hide the OS and system files. I then started looking at some of the desktop.ini files in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folders, and noticed something.

If I open the one in that folder, this is what it looks like

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21782

[LocalizedFileNames]
Immersive Control Panel.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\ImmersiveControlPanel\systemsettings.exe,-650
Windows Store.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\WinStore\WinStoreUI.dll,-1
Desktop.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\twinui.dll,-4513
Control Panel.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12712

Now the problem that I see right away is that NONE of those links are present anymore at that location, as I have moved them around to other sub-folders.

It makes me wonder then if I am sort of messing things up when I move these folders and links around like I do when I go through the process of setting up my system. So far, things appear to work fine, but knowing that there is a desktop.ini file present, that lists shortcuts that are no longer present at that location, makes me wonder if I did break something?

Also, I take it is OK for it not to list all of the shortcuts that are present in a given folder location. For example, if I go into the Applications folder, and look at that Desktop.ini file, it contains just a few lines.

[LocalizedFileNames]
3D Vision Photo Viewer.lnk=@%ProgramFiles(x86)%\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe,-2003
3D Vision preview pack 1.lnk=@%ProgramFiles(x86)%\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe,-2008

Yet, I have way more then 2 shortcuts in that folder. Is that normal, or should they all be listed?

Then, I have some folders (Games is one, and McAfee is another) that don't have a desktop.ini file at all.

--Brian

--
--Brian Plencner

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

I'd suppose it is only necessary for their to be entries for things that you want to give unnatural names. But that's only a suppository.

OZO
Premium
reply to plencnerb

Those entries allow to rename actual objects (files, folders) to different names. If you don't want it - you can remove them all.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

I went ahead and removed all of the desktop.ini files at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and any sub-folders.

Once I did that, and refreshed the screen, the actual directory names now show up! So, the title bar matches the address bar, which also matches what is shown from a command prompt.

That was simple.

Thanks everyone.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

OZO
Premium

said by plencnerb:

Once I did that, and refreshed the screen, the actual directory names now show up! So, the title bar matches the address bar, which also matches what is shown from a command prompt.

Yep. That's how it should be in the first place and ... see the line below
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Indeed. The KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid!