spc
uniqs

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Onedollar

to Onedollar

Re: [HD] BeIN Sports - Coming this month

The data rate, you know what I mean. If I have two videos at the same resolution, and once was encoded with half the bitrate, it will look much worse. Pixelated, blocky, crap.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

I'm guessing aaronwt was asking what you measured the bitrate to be.

I glanced at the channel last night. I thought the PQ was good but there was a lot of macroblocking which I'll attribute to initial setup issues unless it continues for a while.

BTW - VZ passes on the full bitrate it gets from the networks.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Greg2600

Premium Member

to Greg2600
I think he's asking 'what actually IS the bitrate for the channel?' not 'what's the definition of bit rate?'. I'll be honest, though - I haven't seen any blocking. I didn't watch it for any real length of time, but I kept flipping to the channel off and on throughout the day. I thought the SD feeds on that channel (when they were sending SD) were ok. But when they sent in HD, I thought the picture was pretty stunning. Better than I expected, actually.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

The data rate, you know what I mean. If I have two videos at the same resolution, and once was encoded with half the bitrate, it will look much worse. Pixelated, blocky, crap.

got to add in the compression as well MPEG4 is 50% more efficient than MPEG so a 6Mbps stream encoded as MPEG4 would be the equivalent of a 12Mbps MPEG2 stream.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

I'm guessing aaronwt was asking what you measured the bitrate to be.

I glanced at the channel last night. I thought the PQ was good but there was a lot of macroblocking which I'll attribute to initial setup issues unless it continues for a while.

BTW - VZ passes on the full bitrate it gets from the networks.

Ah, I get it. Well whatever it is, the PQ looks pretty bad for HD Sports, hopefully they can adjust it.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

Could be the source as well. I wouldn't doubt that a number of the foreign stadia have less than optimal HD production facilites.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 recommendation

nycdave

MVM

This....

Compare the HD feeds for NFL Red Zone games. Some of the network feeds for the NFL games look horrible on Red Zone.

The BeIN broadcast is only as good as the feed they get from the field.