spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Spudboy

join:2013-04-17

U-Verse install in 7 days

After reading a bunch of the posts here I can't wait to get U-Verse. Sounds like I'm headed for a meat grinder. I'll update after the install.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

For the most part, it has been a cakewalk for me between an install in temporary housing last summer to the install in our new house in October. The service has been fairly solid. The only complaint I have is the On-Demand video always has issues, likely due to oversubscription at peak hours. With millions of customers, I would bet for every nightmare story, there are at least 10 to 15 good ones you will never hear about.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

vnate

@sc.gov

1 recommendation

reply to Spudboy

I'm a long time customer. I briefly switched to TWC to force better pricing from ATT, but I missed the heck out of Uverse for its ease of use and exponentially better user interface. I have U 450 and 18 meg internet. Install was great (1st and second time) and the service honestly never goes out for me. I have not had to call support in years. Many people complain about the HD quality and I used to be one of those but they've done something in the last year or so to improve. I'm interested to hear your feedback.

TestBoy
Premium
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC
reply to Spudboy

@Spudboy
I may have been lucky but my prem tech and I&R were very competent.
They had issues, sure... I was a pair bonded install when they were new in the area. (over 2 years ago now)
They had a bad iNID and the drop from my house to the street was bad not to mention they had to go bust some bridge taps off one of the lines.

It depends... the guys that set us up I could not have been happier with. Because the prem tech was taking awhile to do the job one of his superiors happened by so I made sure to tell him that he was going a hell of a job and that I was pleased with him. Don't know if it earned him any points or not.
Good people should be rewarded, IMHO... and I know the prem tech job sucks.

@vnate
I was able to get better pricing by simply calling them and asking them if there were any barriers to removing our internet access.

The logic there is that TWC sent drones into the neighborhood offering a higher speed tier for $28 less than AT&T was offering.

I was going to take them up on the offer so the question was about what to send back since we wanted to keep tv, etc.

They offered me a reduction to match TWC for a year, gave me a few more perks and that was it.

I am sure they know what is going on in a given area so they offered me the reduced rates to compete with their 1 year offering and that's it.

Spudboy

reply to Spudboy

T-Minus 25 hours. One thing I noticed is that AT&T hasn't offered to come out the day before to check anything (wiring), like I have read from other peoples experiences.

@rolande I'm hoping to only need On-Demand in a pinch. Hopefully Netflix will take care of me.

@vnate I think I'm really gonna miss the ease of use of my Tivo. But with all the cable card issues, tuning adaptor troubles, and the Tivo (HD model) basically just locking up I hoping the Total Home DVR will suffice. I'm getting the 24/3 speed option.

@Testboy Keeping fingers crossed.

Depending on state you are in, determines district, some areas will have outside lineman the day before or early same day check and replace if needed the drop to house and nid, other areas the Prem tech is responsible for that work. If PT then a signal check at term is needed, if no or bad sync a ticket will need to be created for an outside tech, your installer should let you know and give you option of STAY and PLAY (the tech continues install but may have have to wait up to four hours or more for service) or will return job to be scheduled for install at a future date after outside guy has completed his ticket. You will need to determine if you want to wait or reschedule.

Spudboy

reply to Spudboy

Let the fun begin! Noticed on my online bill HBO was not free for the first 3 months, no $71.00 (promotional discount & having AT&T cell phones) discount and only 1 $150.00 Visa card (was suppose to be 2).

After a couple of phone calls 1. They had to completely redo the order.
2. To get the discount for having AT&T mobile phones we had to change the name on the U-verse account to mine not my wife's since it was my name on the phone service. This seemed just plane silly to me.
3. To make up the for the missing Visa card they waived the $7.00 a month rental charge for the second receiver for 12 months and waived the $50.00 activation fee. Not exactly $150.00 but close enough for me.
4. Since I'm getting a new phone number they issued me a new one that is different then the one they gave me at the signing. No big deal, just ridiculous.
5. They couldn't guarantee when the new install would take place since they had to redo the whole order. How about that a time opened up right when my last installed was scheduled.
6. Noticed HBO is not on this new account that was created. When I have an extra hour to be on the phone I will try and get this fixed before install time.

Turns out the sales person lied to me, imagine that! I can see I'm in for a real rollercoaster ride.

More later.

antennaman19

join:2010-01-18
Painesville, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Take anything a salesperson for UVerse says with a grain of salt. By the time you do some light reading on this forum, and the support forum on ATT's site, you will be way ahead of them. On my first install, the line tech was in the neighborhood about an hour; he mostly hung around to make sure it was all good. The prem tech took about 2 hours. I needed a new homerun from the iNID to my living room. As soon as I had internet, I logged in, confirmed my email and account info. Next, I configured the wi-fi, then downloaded UV Realtime. Showed the profile, bitloading, and error pages to him, and we were golden. When I later added TV, a different prem tech came. He tested in from the VRAD, brought in a big silver Cisco DVR. It failed to initialize and accept firmware updates. I lucked out and ended up with the smaller, black Motorola with the bigger hard drive. It works great. The service is quite good. You can make the account changes from your dvr. If there is a promo you were supposed to get, take it up with Customer Service.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to Spudboy

said by Spudboy:

Let the fun begin! Noticed on my online bill HBO was not free for the first 3 months, no $71.00 (promotional discount & having AT&T cell phones) discount and only 1 $150.00 Visa card (was suppose to be 2).

After a couple of phone calls 1. They had to completely redo the order.
2. To get the discount for having AT&T mobile phones we had to change the name on the U-verse account to mine not my wife's since it was my name on the phone service. This seemed just plane silly to me.
3. To make up the for the missing Visa card they waived the $7.00 a month rental charge for the second receiver for 12 months and waived the $50.00 activation fee. Not exactly $150.00 but close enough for me.
4. Since I'm getting a new phone number they issued me a new one that is different then the one they gave me at the signing. No big deal, just ridiculous.
5. They couldn't guarantee when the new install would take place since they had to redo the whole order. How about that a time opened up right when my last installed was scheduled.
6. Noticed HBO is not on this new account that was created. When I have an extra hour to be on the phone I will try and get this fixed before install time.

Turns out the sales person lied to me, imagine that! I can see I'm in for a real rollercoaster ride.

More later.

That is the only bad thing about Uverse, the salesman. We have Uverse, love it. However, when we signed up the salesman said: $300 gift card(2 $150 gift cards=$300) and $30 off for 12 months. Well, only 1 $150 gift card got loaded. Called and called, and Customer Service had the nerve to tell me they can't do anything because it was too good of a deal. After calling the back office, they said the salesman never said that, he only said 1 $150 gift card and $30 offf. I told the supervisor to listen to the recorded(thank God they record calls) call, and within a week I had my other $150 gift card.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Spudboy

reply to Spudboy

My salesman finally got a hold of me this evening. Well I have to retract that he lied about the other $150.00 Visa card. Since my employer has some sort of relationship with AT&T, I am entitled to this. Something referred to as FAM.

So since they gave me a whole new account my salesman is going to bat for me. Well it's to save his commission. At least he is motivated.

I'm pretty sure they're going to have to do a whole other order (new phone number) so my salesman can get his commission. I'm sure the other deals they made for me will disappear.

@billydunwood I have this all in writing. Not sure how much that will help.

13 hours to go!

gadawg

join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

Our install went very well. Took about 4 hours(as predicted by AT&T). All outside line work was done ahead of time and the inside installer took his time and double checked everything. No downtime in the 6 months we have had it. We placed the order at an AT&T store(U-300 and 12 MEG internet. We will be dropping to basic and internet or internet only after our 1 year promotional period. We pretty much only watch the network channels. We may even go to OTA or streaming for what we want to watch.

Overall we are very happy with the services. We are just not viewing enough of the extra TV channels to justify paying for them.

I hope your install goes as well as ours did.

Spudboy

reply to Spudboy

Full review tomorrow. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Spudboy

1 edit
reply to Spudboy

I was not home for the actual installation. U-verse install took 3 hours. Could have been faster but the installer acted as though he had never seen an Apple Time Capsule and Airport Extreme before. I thought that was pretty strange but he figured it out.

Noticed that HBO was missing from my bill. After they added HBO back they removed the $7.00 off per month for 12 months for the cost of the second receiver. This was part of the deal they made me, when they told me that I was not getting a second $150.00 Visa card. Called about this and was informed this would be corrected in 72 hours.
Have not heard back from the salesman. I'm guessing he figured out a way to get his commission without having to talk with me again. I'll be contacting him again, complaining about my second $150.00 Visa card (FAM).

Having only used the system for a few hours I will talk about the television experience. Remote Control is very slow, will be using my phone as a remote most of the time. DVR seems fine if a little slow in the menus. No support for transferring video files from computer to my DVR, like my Tivo was able to do. No support for watching video Podcasts. So purchasing an Apple TV is mandatory.

Internet speeds are underwhelming. I've never seen 24Mbps, best is around 22 and mostly 18. Curious to see how much extra I'm going to be paying every month when I go past my data cap (suppose to be $10.00 for every 50Gb).
I am no longer able to connect (since U-verse does not support UNnP) to my Video Stream server from Collect3. Posted a question on their tech support forum to figure out how to get this work with U-verse.
I'm going to have to become a port forwarding expert. This is a bit of a nightmare. Will have to read posts here to maybe learn from other peoples experiences.

The telephone has static, may have to call about.

The plan was to save $840.00 per year over TWC. Time will tell if this was a good idea. Right now I'm pretty neutral about it. There may be another Tivo in my future in 2 years.

Will add more info to this thread as things get working correctly.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Spudboy

The data usage issue shouldn't be a problem. They haven't yet figured out how to separate bandwidth that is used by the television, telephone and Internet. Thus, they don't bill for usage over 50 GB!

Easiest way to overcome the UNnP is to put another router downstream set up in the DMZ zone. Everything that requires UNnP can then be set up to go through that router!

Spudboy

I think I'm going to blow off the other $150.00 Visa card. They finally have my bill right. $131.00 a month seems fine.
Played around with Twonky. Interesting product but no replacement for an Apple TV.
Discovered DVR does not support Netflix, fortunately I have an Xbox.

@Msradell I have a Time Capsule hardwired to the modem and an Airport Extreme linked to that via wifi as a repeater. Not sure if this is what you mean or not. I will try to open some ports on the Time Capsule and see what happens.

Realize now just how much my Tivo did for me and I never really thought about it. So far the money I'm saving has me content.

More later if people like reading me ramble.

Expand your moderator at work

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3
reply to Spudboy

Re: U-Verse install in 7 days

(Apple-TV also has netflix).
What model is your RG (modem)? Your own router can connect to it:

in bridge-mode (likely losing its QoS),
in true router-behind-router (likely double-NAT issues), or
in the RG's DMZ+ (thinks it's direct on WAN).

Latter two cases: you'd need RG's own wifi kept on, to be used by a smartphone as TV remote (where phone won't see rest of your home LAN).

Spudboy

1 edit

@brookKrige Yeah I plan on accessing Netflix on the Apple TV.
Modem is 380hgv, I'm guessing this is made by Cisco? My Apple Time Capsule which is hardwired to it is in Bridge Mode. Which subsequently turns off all the Port Forwarding options in Airport Utility application.

I also have a Cisco VEN401-AT.

Not real familiar with "in true router-behind-router (likely double-NAT issues), or
in the RG's DMZ+ (thinks it's direct on WAN)."

I ran Fing on my iPhone to take a look at everything I have on my network. I have a few IP's for Cisco SPVTG and one for Motorola Mobility and one for Pace Americas. Not sure if that means anything to you or not.

I'm pretty sure what ever WiFi the boxes that AT&T installed in my house are turned on. Even though I'm not using that for any of my own access.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3

Did you mean 3800HVG-B (was 2wire now Pace)? Its admin GUI should be at »192.168.1.254/

Outline of options for 2nd router (many such DMZ+ posts):
»Re: Slow internet U-verse 12mbit

Spudboy

@brookeKridge I'm just going by the number that is on the front of the bezel.
Yes it is at 192.169.1.254, a lot to look at there.
I need to look up what DMZ means.

Spudboy

reply to Spudboy

My last update unless something crazy happens.

Figured out port forwarding by doing research on how people get their Slingboxs to work. Basically doing the same thing with Video Stream.

My bill still isn't quite right but I think a phone call today will get that straighten out.

Speed test this morning shows 22.7 down and 2.93 up. I'm fine with that.

My wife hates everything about the AT&T DVR, misses her Tivo.

Time Warner is cancelled as of today.

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to Spudboy

*Update:

Came back online, so appears that it was an internal plant issue, that happened when the RG got updated to the newer firmware. Got up this morning, and everything back online.

So to the OP, even though some give ATT bad remarks about how they are, I would say that they did a good job in getting me back online, through the internal efforts of the techs that handled any problems overnight from their reports that they get.

======================================

I found out this morning, that they bricked our 3800 with the 6.9.1.42-plus.tm software update, that was pushed out last night after midnight. Have a 3801 on its way, plus $15 credit due to that the problem was caused by them, not bad equipment or our fault.

The wife of course is not complaining about spending the money that I did back in January to put up a OTA antenna setup in our attic, when U-Verse had the widespread outage.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to Spudboy

My wife misses our old TiVo as well. Really, though, the only thing she misses is the search functionality. TiVo's search capability puts pretty much all the other products to shame. Other than that, she has been happy with it.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/