openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to AnonMan

Re: I am tired...

said by AnonMan :

We all know advertisement alone would pay for shows and in almost all cases does

We do?
said by AnonMan :

If this model was followed more people would be able to have TV

How many people don't have access to content available on a TV; cable and/or OTA?
said by AnonMan :

Why should these companies get record new profit year after year and keep raising prices while the value of our $ goes down and yearly pay raises no longer exists and if they do don't even cover inflation?

You're conflating two very different issues; rising rates for pay TV and the Fed devaluing the dollars in your pocket. Inflation isn't a concern....yet. You think you're paid too little and spend too much now, just wait

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
given the ad rates for 30second spots for 8-10pm primetime yes. Then until recently the broadcast stations have to pay the networks cable/satellite retransmission fees to carry their programming

Brian_M

join:2004-06-19
Manchester, GA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to openbox9
said by openbox9:

How many people don't have access to content available on a TV; cable and/or OTA?

Probably not many, but when you are one of those people (unwilling/unable to spend what cable wants, no access to OTA due to location), it's a pretty major thing. I'm in that boat... granted, each month that goes by means I'm less irritable about it, and less likely to go back. No skin off my back at this point, though I'll try out Aereo when/if it's available to me. Might just find that even at $7/month the value isn't there, and the funny thing is that it wouldn't be any fault of Aereo....

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
said by Brian_M:

but when you are one of those people (unwilling/unable to spend what cable wants, no access to OTA due to location), it's a pretty major thing.

I guess you could always go with a low cost Sat TV provider.

AnonCable

@wayport.net
reply to jagged
I believe that before retransmission fees, the operators aired the local broadcast signals without paying or being paid. There is an FCC must-carry rule for broadcasters above a certain power. It used to be that broadcasters (especially the non big 4 ones) would force themselves on the operator's line-up with this must-carry rule. Operators did not, as far as I know, receive payment to carry. Sometimes (more in the old days than now) CABLE networks would pay for carriage in early years a of a deal, especially when they were trying to get to critical mass of homes. But I think even that has become rare.