spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anon59

@att.net

new ATT Towers

I live in the St Louis area and recently I have seen new wood poles with 2 round drums on top painted brown. ATT installed them up Delmar Ave at about 5-10 block intervals. What are they?

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC

AT&T's small cell tests show dramatic coverage improvements

February 26, 2013 | By Sue Marek

BARCELONA, Spain--AT&T Mobility (NYSE:T) revealed a few more details on its small cell tests. In a presentation here, Gordon Mansfield, AVP of AT&T Small Cell Solutions and chairman of the Small Cell Forum, said the company has successfully tested and deployed small cells in three different environments and all customers experienced dramatic coverage improvements.The tests occurred in three different environments: a neighborhood in St. Louis, Mo.; a high-rise in New York City; and an enterprise in Milwaukee, Wis. In all three deployments, AT&T was able to deliver nearly 100 percent usable coverage to customers that before had a less-than-desirable network experience.These deployments are part of AT&T's massive small cell effort. The company will deploy more than 40,000 small cells over the next two years as part of its expansive Project Velocity IP (or VIP).  The company is also planning to deploy 10,000 new macrocells and 1,000 distributed antenna systems (DAS) throughout its service footprint as part of the effort.Read more: AT&T's small cell tests show dramatic coverage improvements - FierceBroadbandWireless »www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/···Qk8bXwKj believe they are micro cell sites:
--
»www.w4lny.com

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC
reply to anon59

Could you post some pictures please?
--
»www.w4lny.com

anon59

@att.net

Click for full size
sorry for the bad picture, it was raining

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

WiMax site most likely.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

AT&T isn't using WiMax any longer that has been gone for sometime now.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to anon59

I have seen similar installations in my area as well. I figured it had something to do with a pending 4G upgrade in the area or something.

anon59

@att.net

Not WiMax, ATT employees working on tower and told me it's an ATT cell tower. He said they were installing up and down the street. There are at least 5 installed down this street. Installed every 3 or so blocks.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

If they are that close together, then it is for the new project as mentioed. Usually they are called Pico sites, when that close in proximenty.

Pair Gain

join:2002-12-23
Washington
reply to anon59

»www.attinnovationspace.com/innov···a7787182
»www.att.com/Common/about_us/pdf/···cell.pdf

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL
reply to anon59

Around here, no matter what ATT would do or not do, it is not going to improve their network in this town. You are lucky to get 2 bars. Really lucky if you are not on a congested tower.

A couple of years ago, there was over 20,000 people downtown for the St. Patrick's day celebration. Not only did Verizon's system crash from the traffic, but also ATT.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

The pico sites would take the load off the towers and bring it closer to you. And just because VZW's network went down- has nothing to do with AT&T as one is GSM and one is CDMA- they do not talk to each other.

old_tech
Premium
Springfield, IL

said by TBBroadband:

The pico sites would take the load off the towers and bring it closer to you. And just because VZW's network went down- has nothing to do with AT&T as one is GSM and one is CDMA- they do not talk to each other.

Re-read what I stated again. It was due to the load from over 20,000 people who all had a mix of ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular, and all five had their systems get overloaded, that they went down for over four hours.

Only pointed out VZ & ATT, due to that is what the majority in our town have as a cellular provider.

anon59

@att.net

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
clearer pictures. They don't look like the small cell site in the youtube video

anon59

@att.net

I failed to add that I live within 2 blocks of one of these towers and I still have crappy ATT service. I still need my 3g microcell. Iphone 4 3G

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2

This system may not active at this time.
ATT seem to like test things to death.

Walta

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to anon59

Interesting, i'm in the middle TN area, and i've been seeing the contract group that works with ATT in my area traveling in packs with poles and equipment to various places...

Will keep an eye out though for any thing solid

DrDeke

join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
reply to anon59

That equipment looks *very* similar to some carrier-neutral outdoor DAS (i.e. small cell) equipment that has been installed in my hometown.

Right now, only Verizon is live on our equipment (LTE and 1x, not sure about EV-DO), but it can accommodate multiple simultaneous carriers.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to anon59

quick question, anyone know where these pics were taken? call me curious. me and some of the other guys were wondering whereabouts.

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
reply to anon59

As DrDeke said, that is most likely part of a DAS system. See the colors on the coax going into the box that has the Fiber/Ethernet converter? Red=Verizon. White=Verizon LTE. Orange=ATT(sometimes blue for other bands). Yellow=Sprint. Don't see T mobile but I will let you guess the color for that one.

I have some pictures from the DAS they are have installed at the Building on the University where I work. I'll try to find them. Similar setup but with Omnidirectional antennas instead of directional ones. They are indeed lower power. That box takes the RF signal on the coax and turns it into fiber(or ethernet) an sends it to a base station somewhere nearby. All 12 sites or so on the University go to an IT building where all the Telecos locate there base station equipment and plug into the system. It's called a Neutral Hosting Project here.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to anon59

It is a DAS. Notice on pic 2, bottom middle, its cut off a bit, but obviously says "flexwave prism"

»www.te.com/en/general/prism.html

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
reply to anon59

Those are basically the same Prism units they are using here in the DAS as cooldude9919 says.

anon59

@att.net
reply to David

David, the locations of these towers are along Delmar Blvd in University City. ATT installed them and that's who I've seen working on them. They are installed at about 2-3 block intervals. The Picture is of on at North and South and Delmar.
They must not be 'live" yet because my ATT service is still terrible and I live 2 blocks from one tower.