spc
Search similar:

uniqs

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ

Re: How to locate squirrel's entrance into roof?

Have you tried a one-way door squirrel door? Cost me $40 and some time to screw it onto the entrance/exit hole in the attic. It lets them come out when they want but doesn't let them back inside.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

There are two entrance/exit holes, and they're not in a great spot to mount anything since there's little to no room around the sides of the holes unless I wanted to drill into the shingles. I'll try to remember to post photos this weekend.

Besides, if I put something up that allows the squirrels to leave but not get back in, it would be as though I just blocked off the holes while they were out feeding during the day. They'd come back all peeved that they can't get back in, and start wrecking my roof looking for another way. The only way to prevent that would be by removing them from the area.

There are cages you can get w/ and exclusion door on one end, so they'll all run out and get captured in the same cage. If I could find one of these for sale that would work best.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo

Block off the hole that is most difficult to mount a one-way door, and then mount the door to the other hole.
said by TheSMJ:

Besides, if I put something up that allows the squirrels to leave but not get back in, it would be as though I just blocked off the holes while they were out feeding during the day. They'd come back all peeved that they can't get back in, and start wrecking my roof looking for another way. The only way to prevent that would be by removing them from the area.

You are over thinking this. The squirrels will find another home when they cannot get back into your house. Yes, they will be peeved but they cannot destroy your house trying to get inside. They have to find shelter, food, water, and a new home. They are not going to shred your roof. I know from experience.

A cage is great if you want to deal with catching, transporting, releasing, and then hoping you caught them all before you close up the attic holes. Accidentally miss one and close up the holes too early? Your house will stink from the rotting squirrel inside.

anonnnnn
@151.190.40.x

anonnnnn to TheSMJ

Anon

to TheSMJ
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by TheSMJ:

There are two entrance/exit holes, and they're not in a great spot to mount anything since there's little to no room around the sides of the holes unless I wanted to drill into the shingles.

You use wire mesh to guide the squirrels to the trap, as shown above.

Source (more photos) - »www.247wildlife.com/squi ··· otos.htm

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to TheSMJ

to TheSMJ
I was thinking of this thread earlier this morning as I watched birds carrying nesting materials into my attic:

They've now been evicted and new hardware cloth should be keeping them out of that vent.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

TheSMJ

So, I decided to just repair the holes created by the squirrels using hardware cloth and Pestblock expanding foam. Since the holes (or more like crevices) were very narrow at about an inch and a half wide by five inches long, and surrounded by flashing and shingles on all sides (and I didn't want to drill into them), I folded a few layers of .5" hardware cloth into a C-shape and jammed them into the holes, as well as areas surrounding the holes. Then I fired in a bunch of the foam, filling the cavities of the hardware cloth. The foam takes 8 hours to fully cure, which was more than enough time before dusk when the squirrels would return.

I checked everything again the next morning, and from what I could tell from the the ground, the area was untouched! It's been a couple of days now and I have yet to hear any activity in the roof during the morning or at night, so I think I'm squirrel free.

Pestblock foam: »www.homedepot.com/p/GREA ··· ACcpVIw0