All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf to Pinan

to Pinan

Re: T-Mobile + GrooVe IP + Google Voice + HSPA = Fail

If you are using LTE (true 4G), should you have a quality problem with VoIP when jumping (moving) cell towers?

And how does the Android integration compare between Spare Phone, Talkatone and GrooVe IP? Android integration including integrated dialer/calls log/voicemail/etc. And if an incoming call is coming simultaneously on your VoIP app and on your native cell phone number, how is that situation handled?

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan

The quality over 4G is pretty good. I have not used it many times, but when driving I have lost signal.

Spare Phone and GrooveIP integrate well with Android. I have not used Groove for some time now though, as I could not get it to work without major wakelocks in Jelly Bean (non-stock ROMs). SP is far better in that regard. Both integrate with the native dialer, and have their own as well. SP can also use the stock Contacts list. Not sure about Groove.

If a call comes in, both "phones" ring. You answer with whichever one you choose. I only use my GV number, so always answer with SP. This equals free calls.

SP sounds like a landline phone, at least over wifi.

josephf

josephf

Which carrier are you using it with, are you using it over LTE and have you completely stopped using any native cellular minutes from your carrier?

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

T-Mobile. I have the $30 mo prepaid package which includes 100 min. I rarely use any of them.

As I mentioned above, I rarely make calls over 4G/LTE. I at times receive them however.

One interesting thing to note: When I place calls over wifi/4G using GV and SP there is zero lag, but when my GV # is called there is often a 1-2sec lag or so. This is clearly a GV issue. I place more calls than I receive though so not an issue.

josephf

1 edit

josephf

The 4G you've used is T-Mobile's HSPA+ or its LTE? And how is the 4G "iffy"? Was that only a reference to the 1-2 sec lag on incoming calls? Also, when you say "lag", do you mean that both parties to the (incoming) call have a delay before hearing what the other party said?

Can you have GV forward your incoming calls to both SP and your native cellular number, and all incoming calls will thus simultaneously ring both SP and the cell number so you can choose on a per-call basis whether to take your call over SP or over native cellular?

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

said by josephf:

1. The 4G you've used is T-Mobile's HSPA+ or its LTE? And how is the 4G "iffy"? Was that only a reference to the 1-2 sec lag on incoming calls? Also, when you say "lag", do you mean that both parties to the (incoming) call have a delay before hearing what the other party said?

2. Can you have GV forward your incoming calls to both SP and your native cellular number . . .

1. HSPA+ actually. Iffy means still get drops, break ups, etc. Lag on incoming calls is on incoming voice only. Outgoing is fine.

2. No. Since people only dial my (your) GV number, there is no way to answer a call in native cellular mode.

josephf

josephf

You can set GV to forward all calls to your GV number to multiple destinations simultaneously. So you can setup GV to send all your calls to both SP and your T-Mobile cell number. If doing this, both SP and T-Mobile's number will ring simultaneously for every incoming call made to your GV number. My question is if your Android device will then show both incoming calls (which is essentially the same caller) and allow you to choose whether to pickup the call via SP or T-Mobile.

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

said by josephf:

1. You can set GV to forward all calls to your GV number to multiple destinations simultaneously. So you can setup GV to send all your calls to both SP and your T-Mobile cell number.

2.If doing this, both SP and T-Mobile's number will ring simultaneously for every incoming call made to your GV number. My question is if your Android device will then show both incoming calls (which is essentially the same caller) and allow you to choose whether to pickup the call via SP or T-Mobile.

1. Of course.

2. I answered that above. Both "phones" ring. You can answer whichever you choose. Both calls however are coming in over the GV #. The call will only be free if you answer with SP, or another VoIP app.

If that's not what you mean, I'm confused.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Correct. The phone will act nuts while both phone apps receive the call though.

josephf

3 edits

josephf to Pinan

to Pinan
I don't understand what you were saying no to in your previous response:
said by Pinan:

said by josephf:

2. Can you have GV forward your incoming calls to both SP and your native cellular number . . .

2. No. Since people only dial my (your) GV number, there is no way to answer a call in native cellular mode.

But I think you have clarified now with:
said by Pinan:

2... Both "phones" ring. You can answer whichever you choose.

josephf

josephf to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

Correct. The phone will act nuts while both phone apps receive the call though.

You are saying that you cannot (successfully) have both the VoIP app and the carriers native phone ring simultaneously? That seems to be disagreeing with Pinan's experience.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

The phone will "ring" both numbers at the same time, given that two separate callers call the VoIP and the carrier-assigned number at the same time. This is obviously not normal, and probably unintended behavior.

GV will forward incoming calls to the GV number to the carrier number, not ring both at the same time.

josephf

josephf

said by tired_runner:

The phone will "ring" both numbers at the same time, given that two separate callers call the VoIP and the carrier-assigned number at the same time. This is obviously not normal, and probably unintended behavior.

And you can pickup any one of your choice and ignore the other one?

GV will forward incoming calls to the GV number to the carrier number, not ring both at the same time.

Well, you can setup GV to only ring the VoIP app or you can setup GV to only ring the carrier number or you can setup GV to ring both the VoIP app and carrier number simultaneously.

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan to tired_runner

to tired_runner
said by tired_runner:

1. The phone will "ring" both numbers at the same time, given that two separate callers call the VoIP and the carrier-assigned number at the same time. This is obviously not normal, and probably unintended behavior.

2. GV will forward incoming calls to the GV number to the carrier number, not ring both at the same time.

1. I was not speaking of two different callers, only one.

2. If ONE person calls my GV number, both the native phone app and SP (or Groove) do indeed ring at the same time. I can then choose to answer either one. Absolutely.

josephf

josephf

How does the native phone app and GrooVe/SP coexist on the screen simultaneously? They won't be fighting for screen space one app on top of the other? And how do you choose which app you wish to pick up the call with?
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to Pinan

Premium Member

to Pinan
said by Pinan:

2. If ONE person calls my GV number, both the native phone app and SP (or Groove) do indeed ring at the same time. I can then choose to answer either one. Absolutely.

Just checked GV again. Yes, you're correct. I never used it that way though.
tired_runner

tired_runner to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
said by josephf:

How does the native phone app and GrooVe/SP coexist on the screen simultaneously? They won't be fighting for screen space one app on top of the other? And how do you choose which app you wish to pick up the call with?

Just did it with my phone.

The app that receives the second incoming call pops up on the screen last, so that app technically "won".

Maybe he has a different setup that allows to choose which one to answer.

josephf

josephf

said by tired_runner:

Just did it with my phone.

The app that receives the second incoming call pops up on the screen last, so that app technically "won".

Maybe he has a different setup that allows to choose which one to answer.

How did you test it? You forwarded GV to both GrooVe and to your T-Mobile number? Or you called both (different) numbers simultaneously? If both via GV, which app got the call first? And doesn't the native Android dialer take over the screen, and replace any other app, when it gets an incoming call?

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

1 edit

Pinan to josephf

to josephf
Both apps will pop-up. Typically SP is on top for a ring or two, so I simply answer it. If the native app pops up over SP, I simply dismiss that app (hang it up) and SP is still ringing.

As I remember, Groove did not handle this situation as well. It would ring once or twice then stop, forcing me to answer the native app, or rushing to the home screen and trying to open Groove before the call stopped. Did not work as well. SP never fails me.
Pinan

Pinan to josephf

to josephf
Side note: As I mentioned above, I only want to receive (and make) calls only GV number. Therefore I assign a different ringtone to each app so I can tell which number the call is originating from. This cut down on my answering spam calls, or a bill collector looking for the deadbeat who last had my cell number.

So it's kinda funny when the phone rings, as I get two different ring tones at once. LOL.

josephf

josephf

You should be able to see that a call was made to your native phone number (and not GV) by the fact that your VoIP app doesn't ring. So why the need for a different ring tone?

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

At times the VoIP apps have failed to ring. No wifi, or poor 4G, etc. I typically have SP set to receive calls only via wifi anyway so....this ensures that I don't miss a call. Gives me a choice. After all, nothing is a sure thing.

josephf

2 edits

josephf

How do you manage with only 100 minutes a month for all your non-wifi mobile calling?

(And if you have such extensive WiFi access that you rarely need cellular service, why do you even need a wireless data plan rather than simply having no wireless plan and using your Android device for both your VoIP phone and web/app data usage exclusively via WiFi, thus costing you $0/month instead of $30?)
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
said by josephf:

How did you test it? You forwarded GV to both GrooVe and to your T-Mobile number? Or you called both (different) numbers simultaneously? If both via GV, which app got the call first? And doesn't the native Android dialer take over the screen, and replace any other app, when it gets an incoming call?

I had GV forward the call to GrooVe and T-Mobile. Both rung; one number after the other. The second number that rung was the app that kept showing up on the screen; or GrooVe.

Native Android dialer didn't take over at all.

I am running Cyanogenmod 10 on my HTC. Not sure if this explains that or not.

josephf

josephf

So it first rang your Android native dialer then a few seconds later rang GrooVe? And once GrooVe rang you could no longer answer it with the native dialer, if you wanted to?

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan to josephf

to josephf
My, you have a lot of questions *chuckle*.

I'm not a cell phone junkie for starters, so 100 min is way more than enough. The few calls I receive are from people important to me, so I would not wish to miss them. I only make calls when I'm around wifi.

I use 3/4G to view my several web cams, check mail, etc.

All in all well worth the $30 monthly.

All of my home/business phones are VoIP as well. Some free, others very inexpensive. I'm a voipaholic.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
said by josephf:

So it first rang your Android native dialer then a few seconds later rang GrooVe? And once GrooVe rang you could no longer answer it with the native dialer, if you wanted to?

I could've answered the native dialer if I wanted to, but only after I ignored or accepted the GrooVe call. Though I'm fairly certain if I answered the GrooVe dialer, the native one would have barfed if I also tried to answer it. I don't think the phone could share the telephony hardware between two apps when it's theoretically designed for one.

josephf

josephf

Does a bluetooth headset work exactly the same, with full functionality, with GrooVe and Spare Phone, as it does with the native Android dialer?
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Couldn't tell you. I'm not using a Bluetooth headset with mine.