Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

[WIN8] Microsoft Account Gets More Secure

Microsoft TechNet - 17 Apr 2013 - Posted by Eric Doerr,
Group Program Manager, Microsoft account
quote:
Over the next couple days we will roll out a major upgrade to Microsoft account, including optional two-step verification to help keep your account more secure.

Microsoft has increasingly focused on delivering connected devices and services that are currently used by more than 700 million people around the world. A Microsoft account is the key that unlocks your experience across these products—from your Windows PC to your Windows Phone, from Xbox to Outlook.com, from SkyDrive and Skype to Office and much more.

Given this critical role for Microsoft account, we remain vigilant in working hard to protect your account, which is why we’re adding an option so you can enable two-step verification to further protect yourself. You should see this option show up in your account in the next few days. You can enable this capability at »account.live.com/proofs/Manage

... continue reading
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
AWWW geez....so Microsoft wants to screw up logging in more than it already is messed up.

Damn good thing that I set up a local user account instead of using my Microsoft account when I got this Win 8 computer as I can't log into my Microsoft account using IE 10! I have no problems logging in using Fx 17 ESR but when I logged in just now, I saw something new! I can designate this Win 8 computer as TRUSTED so as to simplfy login to my Microsoft account. Great! But it says I have to login to my account using IE to do this and I was logged in on Fx.

So, I start IE 10 and go to the windows live login page and I get a ridiculous message! It says I don't have cookies enabled. How absurd. Of course, I have cookies enabled! BUT I don't allow third party cookies and require first party ones to ask me each time. I've had these settings since IE 6!

So, I am unable to login to my Microsoft account on Microsoft's own browser and could NOT have set up my Microsoft account to use instead of a local user account when I got this computer had I wanted to do that.

These clowns think double login (which is a MAJOR HASSLE - I have to do it at Chase bank EVERY TIME for about 4-5 months now -no trusted computer anymore at Chase- and I am stopping online banking with them after 12 years because of it) is a good idea yet they are so screwed up that a user is accused of not allowing cookies just because they do block third party ones? I can hardly believe that Microsoft insists on setting THIRD PARTY COOKIES when the user goes to log into their Microsoft account!
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

What part of 'optional' are you having trouble with?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Huh? What "optional"? I cannot login to my Microsoft account using IE 10! I don't call that "optional". I also don't call it "optional" when Microsoft will NOT allow login on any browser other than IE 10 in order to register this computer as trusted. Geez.

There is a bug in IE 10 is what I think. Not many who use IE have the vaguest notion of what a "cookie" is much less do they properly configure IE to block third party cookies. I have cookies ENABLED but IE 10 says I do not. Where is this "optional" thing?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

dave

Premium Member

This thread is about the optional addition of two-factor authentication to an MS account. I assumed therefore that was what you were talking about. If you were instead talking about something that is not the subject of this thread, then nevermind.